Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Till the skinny/fat guy sings, or a program for an opera singer?

Hi there!

It is a curious case here, and maybe collective wisdom would help me to find the way

I am 33 (feels like 35 at times), 195 lbs, 6' 4". I used to lift in 20s for a few years (and that's probably why I am not 170lbs, as it used to be, though that happened painfully slowly). I did not get too far on that pass, and stopped about 7 years ago due to career demands. Now I am looking for a way to -
    1) get a bulkier presence (in a shoulder width sense, no problems with growing a belly here), another 10-20 lbs of muscle would really not hurt - as my roles are mainly kings/knights/etc. AND
    2) get rid of that second chin which seem to have found its way there, rather permanently lately.
    You would be surprised how looks started to matter with up-close cinema broadcasts coming to ...Opera.

Yes, I am an Opera singer. While this means that you loose 3-4 lbs in weight during the performance (mostly water I suppose), and are exposed to a 5-6 hours per day running around in rehearsals, while screaming at the top of your lungs - there is also a common knowledge in the profession, that states:

3) You can not have even a hint of valsalva maneuver while doing things (we train for years to get a fragile balance, for hitting those high notes, involving a Partial Version of this maneuver, to have just right amount of air pressure when singing, apparently it is easy to disturb with vigorous excercise).
    4) You can not over-strain (and that is to lock it too much) - belly muscles (no crunches for me) and neck collar muscles (neck and its base). Both of which are heavily involved in unrestricted breathing and sound production.
    So there is a twist right there.

Obviously running, yoga, swimming, etc. comes to mind instantly. And I've done a bit of each, with the results of dropping to 185 lbs in no time, quite a bit of fatigue (aerobic-like job + aerobic-like stress of singing in front of 2,5k crowds + aerobic-like workouts) and - of course no hopes for adding any muscle with any of these. I must say, at this point I do have a fair impression why Pavarotti just gave it all up and went for it.

For now that sounds like a puzzle without a proper solution. I've read through lots of stuff around here and its all a bit confusing. Though remnants of 10 year old knowledge tell me that what I need are squats, and dead-lifts, and bench press - and with weights which would compromise the "no neck/belly/breathing" strain conditions above, limiting me to 5-10 reps. And with good intensity.

But maybe someone would have an idea/workplan in mind which could help shed some light on a possible way to build a routine, keeping all of the above in mind?

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No advice i'm afraid, just popped in to say you could be my twin, I was bang on 195Lbs this morning @ 6'4" :-)
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bailante has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    No advice i'm afraid, just popped in to say you could be my twin, I was bang on 195Lbs this morning @ 6'4" :-)
    Everything is possible, even though I am more of 20% body fat atm.

For now I've started Fierce 5 Novice (been couple weeks), but with way 50% lower weights, to be able to control breathing. Not sure if there is a way to make it work like that, eventually.

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    No help other than to say Chris Dickerson was a champion body builder and an opera singer.

When he was young his singing coach suggested weightlifting to strengthen his chest and lungs http://www.davidgentle.com/ironindex/dickerson.htm

Singing national anthem st induction into BB hall of fame

Handle every situation like a dog ....
    If you can't Eat it or Screw it ,
    Piss on it and Walk Away.

ErinML has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question. Are you saying that as an opera singer, you can't have defined abs or chest muscles because it interferes with your ability to preform? I'm curious because in my 20s I wanted to be an opera singer and ultimately didn't pursue it. I knew there were physical as well as diet restrictions, I just never knew the details.

Also, good luck on your fitness journey! I hope you find something that fits for you.