Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smith machine squat form confusion

Good evening,

I have to use smith machine for squats since my gym does not have racks. So, until 2 weeks ago everything was going fine with squatting then I came across "the correct form" of squatting at smith machine.

They advise to put your feet in front of you if you use smith machine for squats. I saw some threads about "how front" to put your feet, and I tried it, however this lead me to lose the control totally.

I mean, right now my x5 rep weight is 90 kg(I know it is a joke number to lots of people here but things finally started to get heavier as I weigh 85 kg ) and to prevent quad overload, I tried wider stance with feet in front and I am not joking, I was about to get crushed under the bar. I felt like the bar is so close to slide behind my back. Then narrow stance also did not work, and I felt like I am about to mess things up especially around my lower back.

Then I tried a shorter height bar placement, and this time it lead me to two extra moves: To raise the bar and stand, and then put my feet in front; which was already exhausting before the exercise start.

So neither I could start a lift, nor I could keep focusing the lift because of focusing on 5-6 different factors of the advised form.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was using this machine just like a normal squat, The feet under the bar. And to be honest, I never felt any difficulties or overstressing parts in my body.

My question is, will it be an open invitation to injury if I keep having the same form just like smith machine squat is a normal squat?

Because trying to put my feet in front of me, and then the bar height made me totally lost the control over the weight. And to have the proper form, if you are about to give the idea of "reducing the weight" , to be honest I felt like it will at least have to drop around %30-35 to start all over again. Dunno, maybe overreacting. However I dont wanna mess things up, since the weights finally started to become serious for me.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Mertcann85; 11-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mertcann85 View Post
    Good evening,

I have to use smith machine for squats since my gym does not have racks. So, until 2 weeks ago everything was going fine with squatting then I came across "the correct form" of squatting at smith machine.

They advise to put your feet in front of you if you use smith machine for squats. I saw some threads about "how front" to put your feet, and I tried it, however this lead me to lose the control totally.

I mean, right now my x5 rep weight is 90 kg(I know it is a joke number to lots of people here but things finally started to get heavier as I weigh 85 kg ) and to prevent quad overload, I tried wider stance with feet in front and I am not joking, I was about to get crushed under the bar. I felt like the bar is so close to slide behind my back. Then narrow stance also did not work, and I felt like I am about to mess things up especially around my lower back.

Then I tried a shorter height bar placement, and this time it lead me to two extra moves: To raise the bar and stand, and then put my feet in front; which was already exhausting before the exercise start.

So neither I could start a lift, nor I could keep focusing the lift because of focusing on 5-6 different factors of the advised form.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was using this machine just like a normal squat, The feet under the bar. And to be honest, I never felt any difficulties or overstressing parts in my body.

My question is, will it be an open invitation to injury if I keep having the same form just like smith machine squat is a normal squat?

Because trying to put my feet in front of me, and then the bar height made me totally lost the control over the weight. And to have the proper form, if you are about to give the idea of "reducing the weight" , to be honest I felt like it will at least have to drop around %30-35 to start all over again. Dunno, maybe overreacting. However I dont wanna mess things up, since the weights finally started to become serious for me.

Thanks...
    If you want to get stronger on your squats and you have no choice but to use the Smith Machine, I would stop doing this silly variation where your feet are ahead of you. I would imagine this hits your hams and glutes more.

Just do a simple high bar squat. Bar should be on your traps. Have a shoulder width foot stance. Toes pointed slighty out. And just squat straight down, preferably below parallel. The bar should be directly over the middle of your feet.
    Meet PR: 230/ 135/ 262.5 [627.5] (in kgs)
    506/ 297/ 578 [1,381] (in lbs)

Weight: 92kg (202lbs)

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It will vary slightly depending on the plane the bar moves in; whether it is vertical or diagonal. On a smith, you can do something resembling a normal squat, something resembling a hack squat and anything in between (depending on how forward you place your feet).

One thing that I would recommend if using a smith, is to bury the depth. Get down until your butt is a couple of inches off the floor.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ohhh, relief

Thank you both.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    One other method is to use **no weight** and figure out what is the most comfortable way for YOU to do the movement. Once you learn this, add 10's to the bar and continue the "day of learning" so that your next visit you have solved the problem. That is how i learned in college.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you don't put your feet out in front of you you may find your knees progressing ahead of your toes as you go down. This puts a lot of pressure on your knees. When using a Smith machine or a leg press make sure to place your feet in a position where your knees do not protrude out beyond your knees as you lower the weight.
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

GRob65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you set up under the bar place your heels so that they are under the bar this will put you in a straight line. When you squat down move your glutes back.

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lets remember that we are all built differently. Different ratios in mechanics.

What are ya trying to do, and how effective have you been so far?
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like my feet out front. As long as your knees aren't more than an inch or so in front of your knees at the bottom I'd say your fine.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Lets remember that we are all built differently. Different ratios in mechanics.
    This is one of the greatest points in here. Some people mechanically it works awesome for and other not so much.

Originally Posted by Billy_Biceps View Post
    I like my feet out front. As long as your knees aren't more than an inch or so in front of your knees at the bottom I'd say your fine.
    Finding a good position for yourself is important

I like barbell squats , hacks, and leg press better. That said, I did them last week just for variety and a change, I was doing lower volume workouts as I was sick (but okay enough to workout with less volume and intensity) and decided to throw this in there
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    On the Smith machine, I always keep my feet an inch or two in front of the bar. I don't set up any chocks, I just take it down to the floor, sort of ATG, until I hear it click at the bottom. As a result I get tons of comments about my good form. My best this year was 3 X 5 @ 240 (bar = 10 lbs). That's enough to build and maintain strong legs.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

Thank you all for your time. Gonna keep all these in my mind.

"Finding a good position for yourself is important" is the key factor I presume.

Cheers