View Poll Results: If your gym offered you a smartwatch that included training programs, useful timers,

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

1 20.00%
  • NO

4 80.00%
    DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Your opinion on smartwatches and workouts

Hi,
    my name is Dmitri, and I am the cofounder of a start-up called Thinkinetics.

Back in the day, my grand-father used his watch to catch the train, my father to look professional, but now we'd like to use our watches to make us feel better. At Thinkinetics, our goal is to use technology to help people build healthier habits, but in order to do this we'd like to ask for your feedback to help shape our first product. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a minute of your time to answer this poll.

If your gym offered you a smartwatch that included training programs, useful timers, and a workout journal for you to input your workouts and track your progress, would you consider buying one?

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Want an opinion? Here ya go...

Imo, it's rude to ask people to take part in surveys and/or market research without some form of compensation.

You're welcome.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    if my gym owner (me...i guess my wife is technically a co-owner) spent money on a smart watch for lifting my wife would be pissed at me for buying something i don't use, because i don't like wearing watches. i would be upset that she spent money on a smart watch instead of something that was more interesting, like that safety squat bar i saw at PIAS today...
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SomeDudeAtHome has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    if my gym owner (me...i guess my wife is technically a co-owner) spent money on a smart watch for lifting my wife would be pissed at me for buying something i don't use, because i don't like wearing watches. i would be upset that she spent money on a smart watch instead of something that was more interesting, like that safety squat bar i saw at PIAS today...
    This is going to be the answer you'll get from 99% of the people who lift weights. I feel the same way. I don't wear watches and would have zero interest in everything you mentioned above that it could do. Only thing that I might use is a heart rate monitor but even then I'd lose interest in it fairly quickly I'm guessing.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always wear a watch. The only time I take mine off is to sleep, and workout.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have I told you about my grandfather's watch? - christopher walken in pulp fiction

omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omer46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have fitbit blaze and alta but I don't wear them to the gym. I hate the feeling of the watch on my hand when I workout especially if you use wraps... the only reason I use the fitbit is because I work a desk job and it tells me to get up once in a blue moon
    Log:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174060911

chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    And what SSB did you see?

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue View Post
    Have I told you about my grandfather's watch? - christopher walken in pulp fiction
    I'll tell you, you better wash that watch.
    SQ 475# 5/26/17 wraps
    BP 340# 7/13/19 paused
    DL 455# 10/19/19 beltless
    OHP 205# 1/12/19

()---() York Barbell Club #72 ()---()
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #15 ──<//>─<\\>──
    [M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #32 ▪[M]====[6]
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #70▪█─────█▪ 

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9015131&d=1541967331

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DmitriRussian View Post
    Hi,

Back in the day, my grand-father used his watch to catch the train, my father to look professional, but now we'd like to use our watches to make us feel better. At Thinkinetics, our goal is to use technology to help people build healthier habits, but in order to do this we'd like to ask for your feedback to help shape our first product. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a minute of your time to answer this poll.

If your gym offered you a smartwatch that included training programs, useful timers, and a workout journal for you to input your workouts and track your progress, would you consider buying one?

Nope. All such devices are little more than a distraction away from what trainees ought to be doing in the gym, and it's not dicking around with some "watch" or other such gizmo that only P.T. Barnum would think is of "value."

Go away, and take your gizmo and your survey with you.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DmitriRussian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I understand that you might see this as a sales pitch, but we are just trying to develop a product that would help people with their workouts. In any case, it will be a free app. To clarify, the smartwatch is basically a workout journal, that allows you to track the number of reps, weights and put short notes.
    The reason we are not offering any compensation is because we are a startup and funds are limited. I can however offer you my appreciation.

bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like you want us to design this for you.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by chadsalt View Post
    And what SSB did you see?
    it kind of looks like a westside, but i'm not sure that it is...i can't upload pics so i sent you an email.

I'll tell you, you better wash that watch.
    listen to this man
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    I always wear a watch. The only time I take mine off is to sleep, and workout.
    ^^This^^

And I take mine off to shower, while washing my hands and to clean it while washing my hands.

Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minzein is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DmitriRussian View Post
    Hi,

I would under one condition, and that is that prices are not shaped around your business trying to pay for all the smartwatches that are distributed to the customers. Mathematically, I'd imagine that cost/month would be ridiculous compared to other gyms and the cost of pen/paper (or free internet apps) to track progress. Gave you a 'yes' for the effort.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My opinion on watches and technology in the gym ?

Tick toc, tick toc, snoozzzzzzzz