Willowlady is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What routine to do after Strong Curves?

Hi everyone!

I've been viewing the forum for a while now and have learnt loads so far.

I've just completed the Strong Curves- Gluteal Goddess programme and loved it.

I'm now looking for another programme to follow, full body routines. I'm working out for fun, to remain healthy and strong ( I have slight scoliosis so am working hard to get rid of imbalances and tweeking my exercises to fit around my needs).

I've been looking at 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' and it seems quite interesting- any thoughts?

Due to my scoliosis I am focussing on single limb movements and unfortunately no back/ front squats but find zercher squats and deadlifts ok, so far.

I'm 48 and so have to take this into account when choosing a routine - although I still think I'm in my twenty's and can throw the weights around to my hearts content...

Thanks!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    New Rules is a good book, what you'll get from it - moreso than the lifting is learning about it and your body.

In the absence of pain, scoliosis should not prevent normal barbell movements, it doesn't for me or those I've trained. We just have to be even more fussy about form than the mythical entirely healthy person, and progress the resistance more slowly. But we still have to squat, press and pull. Go look up Lamar Gant.

Your age isn't an issue in what you can do, only in your recovery and thus how quickly you can progress things.

So between your back and your age, well the healthy 21yo might add 5lbs a time to the bar, you add 1lb at worst. So what? Progress is progress. Do it for 12 months where will you be? I'll leave the maths to you.

aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The great part about Strong Curves is its adaptability...I fully intend to continue it for the duration of my offseason at least considering how well my body seems to be responding to it, just using the template and adjusting exercises as necessary. If it was working for you, I see no reason not to continue.
    "Never avoid opportunities. They may come in any form." - Carl Allen, Yes Man
    NASM CPT and NPC Bikini Competitor

junkfoodfittie.wordpress.com
    My Journal:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172513881
    FB/Instagram/Twitter: @jcooliegirl

sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sardelsa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am currently doing Get Glutes which (for me) was a great next step from Strong Curves.

Get Glutes follows a very similar workout layout to SC, keep in mind it is a monthly fee based program...the demo videos, online support from Kellie are great IMO. I don't do front or back squats either, so I sub in Zerchers and goblet squats.. so far so good!

I have also heard a lot of great things about Bret Contreras other program "Strong by Bret" (I think it is pretty similar to Get Glutes but perhaps more focus on the big lifts ?) Both offer free trials if you want to have a look.

There are lots of other great programs out there as well, depends on your goals too

Willowlady is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement.

I think I will continue with the gorgeous glutes programme again and focus on getting stronger/more adept at the exercises.

I have done a lot of searching on the net and have worked with lots of physiotherapists, masseuses and sports specific trainers who have had some knowledge of scoliosis but always felt that they really didn't seem confident or knowledgable in how to incorporate lifting weight or body building for my needs:

however, my main motivation was seeing Lamar Grant and what he achieved- so I thought 'right! If he can do it then it's down to me to find out what I can achieve and work with my body- listen and learn as much as possible and just accept that there is so little knowledge out there.'

So I'm going for it! And loving it.