ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Keto Diet for Me??

I read one of the articles on Keto and it really confused me. Could someone explain this to me and would it be a good diet for me to loose 20 pounds?? Thanks so much!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Any diet where you intake less that you put out will make you loose weight.

Keto would make you loose weight quickly as you loose a lot of water weight initially - this is because you quickly deplete your glycogen stores (for a small female this is usually 1 pound in weight, for a large male it can be up to pounds) and with that you loose about 4 x that amount in water weight.

So you can loose 5 pounds of 'water weight' in the first week or so of the diet.

Then, as you are only eating protein and fats, lots of people find it hard to keep their calorie levels high - so they eat less (also because fats and protein tend to increase 'fullness' and so they feel less hungry). Due to eating less - they loose weight.

But - it also means that when you come off the keto diet you will gain that water weight back quickly. It also means that your body can because highly sensitive to carbohydrates, meaning you can suffer from hypoglycaemia and dizzy spells after you eat carbohydrates for months afterwards.

A better diet is one that does not exclude any food group. Just focus on eating healthy, small meals, frequently throughout the day, with a focus on lean meats/proteins, vegetables, low glycaemic natural carbs (grains, legumes, fruit) and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado etc) and you can not go wrong.

ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ncgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks!!

Naja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One of the advantages of a ketogenic diet is that you can fairly easily lose weight without feeling hungry. Some of it will be water weight initially, but only in the first week or so as glycogen finishes being depleted. Also, if you previously had problems with food (binge eating, hypoglycemia, dizziness and shakes when hungry, low blood sugar, addicted to sugary foods, etc) a keto diet can stop all of that cold.

Ketogenic diets are also muscle-sparing, meaning that the weight you lose will be body fat, not lean body mass. Low calorie, low fat diets can mean that your weight loss comes in part from muscle, not just body fat.

The downside of a ketogenic diet is that it is definitely a cutting diet and you can't really bulk very well on it. As already mentioned you can also increase your sensitivity to sugars and other simple carbohydrates if you stay ketogenic in the long term and do not do a cyclical or targeted ketogenic diet that includes some days of "carbing up".

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by Naja
    One of the advantages of a ketogenic diet is that you can fairly easily lose weight without feeling hungry. Some of it will be water weight initially, but only in the first week or so as glycogen finishes being depleted.
    True - some people find that they don't get as hungry on a high fat and protein diet... and most people find it is a lot harder to get all of their calories in fat/protein diets as well - meaning they tend to drop calories easier and thus, tend to drop weight faster.

But, I feel a similar effect of satiety can be gained when you eat low glycaemic, high fibre carbohydrates mixed with adequate levels of proteins and fats. And, by not droping calories soo low, soo quickly, it tends to prevent the metabolic effects that can occur on that type of diet.

Also, if you previously had problems with food (binge eating, hypoglycemia, dizziness and shakes when hungry, low blood sugar, addicted to sugary foods, etc) a keto diet can stop all of that cold.
    Until you want to eat carbs again - in which case you can re-bound severely and make your carb sensitivity worse!!

Ketogenic diets are also muscle-sparing, meaning that the weight you lose will be body fat, not lean body mass. Low calorie, low fat diets can mean that your weight loss comes in part from muscle, not just body fat.
    This is partially true - yes, ketogenic diets are muscle sparing (they are not completely muscle sparing - you still loose some muscle mass), but this is primarily because the dieter is still getting adequate protein and essential fatty acids when in calorie restricition.

Traditional low calorie diets tend to be protein deficient, which leads to increased muscle catabolism. But, if you have a well balanced diet that still includes carbohydrates but has enough protein available to maintain muscle activity, then Keto diets offer no added benifits in this regards.

I am not saying you do not have valid points.... but I am just not a fan of restricting a diet so you cut out one of the major macronutrients. These types of 'diets' hardly ever work long term, and there is no need for them...

Well balanced healthy eating with smart food choices in conjunction with a good exercise routine are much better long term solutions.
    Last edited by Emma-Leigh; 09-30-2003 at 04:31 PM.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's an excellent forum at http://c-k-d.com/ that will answer all your questions about a ketogenic diet. I've tried it & can't hang , but some people seem to love this way of eating.

There's also a thread in the Over35 section of this forum that discusses keto in depth.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 10-01-2003 at 04:45 AM.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Naja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In many ways the scientific jury is still out on all the upsides and downsides of a ketogenic diet. Certainly there are both benefits and potential problems. For some people keto diets are wonderful; for others they are just not the optimal choice for their situation.

For me personally, I have a problem with food when I am *not* on a carb restricted diet. When I eat a lot of carbohydrates, I do not have a "full" signal. I feel hungry and have a strong appetite and an urge to continue eating even when my stomach is physically stuffed. That's not healthy or good for me. When I restrict my carbs around 50-100 low glycemic index sources only, I am full and satisfied with small, healthy portions. When I drop my carbs under 30 grams (which I don't do on lifting days) I have a hard time taking in even 1200 calories because I'm just not hungry at all. It's a very painless cutting diet, and I make sure to get plenty of protein to help spare my lean body mass even if I have to drink more whey shakes than I really want to. LOL

A good lifting day meal for me is a 4 oz chicken breast, a few pieces of broccoli or a salad, and a small slice of sweet potato drizzled with flax oil or some mashed cauliflower with roasted garlic and olive oil or maybe a half cup of lentils or beans. I try to eat 5 or 6 such meals. I think I am getting plenty of good nutrients, and I feel strong and healthy when I eat this way.

Most importantly, when I am on a ketogenic diet, I am in total control of my food. My food is not in control of me. Sadly I cannot say that when I am not on a keto diet. My problems with food are not emotional but chemical; they go away entirely when I avoid sugar, white flour and corn products and stay low carb. But they are problems, and I really need to stay on top of them by restricting my carb intake.

Obviously I have no idea what your situation is so I can't say whether keto is right for you - but it definitely is right for me, and I'm going to use it to my best advantage.

Do you still need to eat all the fat that they say to when on that diet?

gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yes because the fat is you renegy source.. You will get sick without it..
    You know girl, there are no miracle diets...
    try to not debate the diets so much and choose something that is a way of life for you first.... You will confuse yourself as to which one is the best one and they are all good for different reasons..
    A balanced diet is the way to go. Its not hard, its not depriving,
    its not torure, etc. ..you get the point.
    If you write down what you are eating we can all help you here in the female side.. There are women in here that eat all types of food in their diets and maintain a bdy fat under 13%!!!!
    But if you do KETO we can support you here too!!!
    I just think there is a time for keto and if you havent been dieting at all... make some small changes and the weight will fall off...