VixenVictoria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Extreme Fatigue after morning workouts - Post Workout Nutrition question

In effort to commit to doing my workouts without my job interfering, I switched from evening workouts to mornings. However, now I am crashing hardcore after my routine. I have a hard time eating in the morning so I did find having a protein shake during my work out helps. If I ate or drank a protein shake before, I found myself vomiting almost every workout. But, I cannot figure out how to deal with the crash after. I work out from 5am-6am, then get ready for work. After half way to work I feel like I need to pull over and take a nap. It is so bad and I drive in heavy traffic. I have tried eating a small portion of carbs after, without any luck. Thinking that my sugars are crashing, I tried fruit. I think fruit made it worse. I am not sure what else to switch up. Any thoughts? I want to keep my goals but I can't continue to function on zero.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds like you're better off working out at night.

There is actually some science suggesting that it may be better.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, the first question that comes to mind is how much sleep are you getting a night? How long has it been since you made the switch to morning workouts?

My guess is you're not getting enough sleep and this is causing the "crash."
    New England Patriot
    MISC Dynasty League Champion 2018

I am starting to get that feeling. I wonder if I try running in the working and lifting at night if that would make a difference. It's aggravating.

Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post
    Well, the first question that comes to mind is how much sleep are you getting a night? How long has it been since you made the switch to morning workouts?

Let me preference with I get more sleep now than I used to ... I have not slept long hours in years. After several years of 2-4 hours a night, now I get roughly 4-6 hours a night. Sleep and I are not friends unfortunately. But, I get a spike of energy when I work out in the evenings.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It could be a sleep issue.

To Answer your other question, I switched to mornings about three months ago.

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VixenVictoria View Post
    Let me preference with I get more sleep now than I used to ... I have not slept long hours in years. After several years of 2-4 hours a night, now I get roughly 4-6 hours a night. Sleep and I are not friends unfortunately. But, I get a spike of energy when I work out in the evenings.
    4-6 hours of sleep isn't what I'd consider "long hours" of sleep and most likely why you're crashing. I workout in the mornings and get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. With proper nutrition, a consistent sleep schedule, and a pre-workout, I don't have any problems with crashing. In fact, I typically will feel more awake by the time I get to work than if I didn't workout at all.

You've got to find what works for you. Maybe you're not eating enough during the days. Maybe you need more sleep. If you feel stronger and "energized" at night, maybe afternoon workouts are best for you.
    New England Patriot

ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeOnFFS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're getting close to half the sleep it's recommended most people have.

Have you tried the whole no electronic devices an hour before bed, no neon lights (esp blue) proper time taken to wind down/read before sleep, total darkness and silence etc?

lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You won't see the benefits of sleeping only 4-6 hours that you would from a full 8 hours due to the lack of being able to get I to multiple deep sleep states during the night.

Your body cycles sleep and you'll go in and out of various brand wave states at night and that has a huge huge say in how your body releases growth hormone and helps you recover.

You can get more sleep or you can try gaba before bed, which can help you with deeper and more efficient sleep.
    The Ultimate Resource on Dieting and Intermittent Fasting
    http://www.blastthebelly.com

Originally Posted by ComeOnFFS View Post
    You're getting close to half the sleep it's recommended most people have.

Have you tried the whole no electronic devices an hour before bed, no neon lights (esp blue) proper time taken to wind down/read before sleep, total darkness and silence etc?
    I have sleep anxiety and cannot stay asleep. I wake up several times a night for various amounts of time. It is extremely annoying and have tried everything. Reading has helped the most but if I want to "sleep" without waking I have to drug myself and then getting up is a different story. If I take sleep aids, I really feel draggy. Oh and Ambian, not sure that counts as sleep, as I have cleaned my fridge out and rearranged my furniture without any memory of doing it!! Hahaha

Originally Posted by lvsteven View Post
    You won't see the benefits of sleeping only 4-6 hours that you would from a full 8 hours due to the lack of being able to get I to multiple deep sleep states during the night.

Your body cycles sleep and you'll go in and out of various brand wave states at night and that has a huge huge say in how your body releases growth hormone and helps you recover.

You can get more sleep or you can try gaba before bed, which can help you with deeper and more efficient sleep.
    I don't know much about GABA. Does it linger for several hours? Is there a hangover feeling like a lot of sleep aids cause?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you can improve your sleep that would be great of course. If not, it doesn't have to be a huge problem. Some people get by with less sleep.

Can you just change your workout back to the evening?

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After half way to work I feel like I need to pull over and take a nap. It is so bad and I drive in heavy traffic. I have tried eating a small portion of carbs after, without any luck. Thinking that my sugars are crashing, I tried fruit. I think fruit made it worse.
    I experienced something similar and adding a banana post-workout helped me a lot. It sounds like you already tried fruit though, perhaps you need a pre-workout meal of some kind, maybe oatmeal? I agree it's likely a blood sugar problem.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    If you can improve your sleep that would be great of course. If not, it doesn't have to be a huge problem. Some people get by with less sleep.

Can you just change your workout back to the evening?
    I would prefer to switch them back but my overly demanding job cuts into my evenings quite often. Something needed to change in order to have a more regular workout schedule and mornings have been the only viable option.

What does your diet look like? How many calories are you eating? Are you trying to eat as little as possible to help with fat loss? Have you thought about drinking coffee / caffeinated beverage in the morning to help get you through the mornings?
    New England Patriot

What does your diet look like? How many calories are you eating? Are you trying to eat as little as possible to help with fat loss? Have you thought about drinking coffee / caffeinated beverage in the morning to help get you through the mornings?
    When I remember to eat, my diet is good. I get busy and forget Yeah, some people don't understand how that happens but it does. I aim to take in 1400-1600 calories daily depending on work outs. Lots of veggies, fish, chicken, healthy fats. I don't do a ton of carbs but I get some. I have a pretty restricted diet as I have a bunch of food allergies. They are always entertaining. Snacks consist of simple things like turkey jerky (Nick's sticks - zero sugar); Cashew butter, sometimes fruit, or half a sweet potato. Eat to lose not starve to lose. I don't drink a lot of caffeine generally, but once in a while I will have coffee.

xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxYoungexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let me introduce you to 3 of my friends.

ZMA
    Magnesium oil
    Gaba

I take Gaba and ZMA 30 minutes before bed and rub oil all over before I get into bed.
    95% of the time it will works a treat.

Wake up feeling refreshed and no hang over. I've kept an eye on my fitbitt/Microsoft band and both report better sleep patterns on the above. I hope it helps.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP: I would suggest looking into fasted training and or investing in a caffeine supplement.

Registered User robertosmith541's Avatar
    robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robertosmith541 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The main thing is how long you sleep at night? I think it is for lack of sleep.
    Best Recumbent Bike
    Recumbent Bike
    >> www.thebestrecumbentbike.com

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You arent getting anywhere near enough sleep, and you are cutting calories. Not a good mix for having energy. You could try a preworkout with a high amount of caffeine to get you going in the morning. Or try eating carbs before bed so the energy from them will be there in the morning.
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724

After half way to work I feel like I need to pull over and take a nap. It is so bad and I drive in heavy traffic. I have tried eating a small portion of carbs after, without any luck. Thinking that my sugars are crashing, I tried fruit. I think fruit made it worse. I am not sure what else to switch up. Any thoughts? I want to keep my goals but I can't continue to function on zero.
    Try avoiding carbs post workout. Eat protein with fat.

Edit: you may be a good candidate for a ketogenic diet. It often takes care of the symptoms you're describing.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 09-06-2016 at 11:17 PM.

lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50) lmcfreekz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Beside the sleep thing that a lot of people are mentioning... what's your overall nutrition like? I'd assume you're running at a calorie deficit, but how big of a calorie deficit are you running? And what does that look like in terms of your BMR and TDEE?

Just to share my own regime, rather than offer specific advice without a bit more info...

I'll generally get around 7 hours sleep... but I've gotten by on 4... I'll try to be in the gym at 6am daily, and I train 'fasted' having not eaten since 8pm - 9pm the previous night... 3 or 4 cups of black coffee spaced throughout my workout gets me through and then I'll have a protein shake handy which sometimes I really don't feel like and other times I'll sip on it as I go through my workout - it all depends on my overall feeling.

As soon as possible afterwards I'll get a really good portion of food / calories in me... firstly, I'll finish off any protein shake that's left over from the workout, and currently my typical post-gym routine is to pick up some 3 or 4 bananas, watermelon, 1L of whole milk... I'll generally drink most of the milk and then depending on how I'm feeling again I might eat a couple of the bananas or leave some of the fruit for a little later in the day... I'll also do a couple of peanut butter sandwiches and a tuna sandwich on wholewheat around an hour after that so I'm pretty much loading up on a lot of my food during the day...

Around 5pm - 7pm, I'll make 800g or so of brown rice... cook up some protein to get to my number for the day... throw some veggies in the pan along with 4 or 5 eggs... and then that sees me through until I sleep...

If I was consistently undereating and wasn't getting that big post workout fix, then I'd probably suffer a bit...

Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are counting calories accurately, you aren't eating enough.

Not getting enough calories plus sleeping too little...no wonder you feel awful.

Originally Posted by lmcfreekz View Post
    Beside the sleep thing that a lot of people are mentioning... what's your overall nutrition like? I'd assume you're running at a calorie deficit, but how big of a calorie deficit are you running? And what does that look like in terms of your BMR and TDEE?

Just to share my own regime, rather than offer specific advice without a bit more info...

I'll generally get around 7 hours sleep... but I've gotten by on 4... I'll try to be in the gym at 6am daily, and I train 'fasted' having not eaten since 8pm - 9pm the previous night... 3 or 4 cups of black coffee spaced throughout my workout gets me through and then I'll have a protein shake handy which sometimes I really don't feel like and other times I'll sip on it as I go through my workout - it all depends on my overall feeling.

As soon as possible afterwards I'll get a really good portion of food / calories in me... firstly, I'll finish off any protein shake that's left over from the workout, and currently my typical post-gym routine is to pick up some 3 or 4 bananas, watermelon, 1L of whole milk... I'll generally drink most of the milk and then depending on how I'm feeling again I might eat a couple of the bananas or leave some of the fruit for a little later in the day... I'll also do a couple of peanut butter sandwiches and a tuna sandwich on wholewheat around an hour after that so I'm pretty much loading up on a lot of my food during the day...

Around 5pm - 7pm, I'll make 800g or so of brown rice... cook up some protein to get to my number for the day... throw some veggies in the pan along with 4 or 5 eggs... and then that sees me through until I sleep...

If I was consistently undereating and wasn't getting that big post workout fix, then I'd probably suffer a bit...
    Thank you for this. Seems like a fasted workout may be a good solution with a larger meal after. Eating before is really a struggle and often even with drinking protein through out my workout, I struggle to finish it during my workout. I can't run too much of a calorie deficit as I have low blood sugar which requires small meals throughout the day to avoid a crash. Not to say that doesn't happen but I try to avoid it. I find the exhaustion only sets in after I weight train. I ran this morning without any trouble. I am assuming that it has to do with the extended calorie burn.

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for this. Seems like a fasted workout may be a good solution with a larger meal after. Eating before is really a struggle and often even with drinking protein through out my workout, I struggle to finish it during my workout. I can't run too much of a calorie deficit as I have low blood sugar which requires small meals throughout the day to avoid a crash. Not to say that doesn't happen but I try to avoid it. I find the exhaustion only sets in after I weight train. I ran this morning without any trouble. I am assuming that it has to do with the extended calorie burn.
    Are you sure you calculated your TDEE correctly? What method did you use? I am same height but weigh less and work a desk job but still burn over 2500 cals a day according to my fit bit on workout days i easily burn over 2700 some days over 3000. If you are eating 1600-1800 cals a day you might be in a much bigger cut than you intended.
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724