Registered User jeffersonranada's Avatar
    jeffersonranada has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should a beginner cut to 10 bodyfat before bulking?

I still consider myself as a beginner though I have been lifting for a while because my lifts weren't that impressive and I still use a beginner's program. I'm 5'9", 150.5 lbs, male. An internet bodyfat calculator tells I'm 15% bodyfat. I have gyno, btw. I have been cutting for a while now from 190 lbs to 150.5 up to this day. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jeffersonranada View Post
    I still consider myself as a beginner though I have been lifting for a while because my lifts weren't that impressive and I still use a beginner's program. I'm 5'9", 150.5 lbs, male. An internet bodyfat calculator tells I'm 15% bodyfat. I have gyno, btw. I have been cutting for a while now from 190 lbs to 150.5 up to this day. Thanks in advance for the answers.
    Cut until somewhere between 10-14% BF whilst it's not a huge effort to lose it. The lower your BF the harder it is to lose so once you're in the 10-14% range then you can think about bulking.

14% BF for a beginner is fine to start bulking when you've already dropped 40lbs. Just make sure when you do start bulking its a slow bulk and not use it as an excuse to eat excessively under the pretence of bulking.

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No there's no need to get all the way to 10% - especially as a beginner. It's highly likely you don't have sufficient lean mass to support that low of a BF%

Originally Posted by juggernaut74ia View Post
    No there's no need to get all the way to 10% - especially as a beginner. It's highly likely you don't have sufficient lean mass to support that low of a BF%
    so what do you suggest Bro? Should I start bulking? It's getting harder to cut because I have to eat 1800 a day. And I feel like I'm losing too much muscle because I'm losing strength

gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomil is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Post a pic. Do you actually have gyno (diagnosed by a doctor)? If not, you probably just need to drop another 5-10 lb. Otherwise, you can take a two week break, eat at maintenance and then get the fat loss over with in another 6-8 weeks before bulking slowly.
    Calories In, Calories Out.

derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50) derivxinteg314 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah post a pic. IMHO if anyone is skinny fat, bulk first before cutting. You can drop bodyfat all you want, but without hardly any muscle definition, you will remain the same shape, you will end up a twig, AND you will have a harder time dropping fat. Muscle mass actually helps you burn more calories and fat, so the more lean mass you have, the easier a fat cut will become. Just my experience. Also I'm not saying you are skinny fat, I'm just saying this for people who are.
    Don't give up hope.

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so what do you suggest Bro? Should I start bulking? It's getting harder to cut because I have to eat 1800 a day. And I feel like I'm losing too much muscle because I'm losing strength
    At 21 yo 5'9, 150 - yeah probably. But like the others said a pic would be more helpful than just stats

I can't post a link or photo yet because I only have 17 posts. What a bummer.

I've posted my current physique at my profile. You can check that out. After seeing that photo in that lighting, I think I should cut. But I also want to hear other comments.

bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000) bf527365 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unfortunately it does look like you have a pretty bad case of gyno but I am no expert on it in sure people can give you advice. I would cut 15 more pounds and then bulk.
    Hey

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    its a good idea to. Staying lean and gaining muscle is the best way
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've posted my current physique at my profile. You can check that out. After seeing that photo in that lighting, I think I should cut. But I also want to hear other comments.
    Based on the pic on your profile no you shouldn't. I am sorry to say man but you have NOTHING to cut to. and like Deriv said it's just gonna be that much harder getting the fat off now only to see little to no visual benefits. You need a base before you cut. Others may disagree with me and that is fine but the last thing OP needs right now is to cut. It would only be counterproductive and trust me if you keep your training intense and surplus reasonable the results will be 100x better
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Based on the pic on your profile no you shouldn't. I am sorry to say man but you have NOTHING to cut to. and like Deriv said it's just gonna be that much harder getting the fat off now only to see little to no visual benefits. You need a base before you cut. Others may disagree with me and that is fine but the last thing OP needs right now is to cut. It would only be counterproductive and trust me if you keep your training intense and surplus reasonable the results will be 100x better
    thanks bro. I think I should just bulk, slowly. I'm going to eat at maintenance calories, to normalize everything and then eat on a surplus, maybe 10% above my TDEE (I've been reading here in the forums and I think this is a good start). I'm using Fierce 5 beginner program and I think my workouts are pretty intense. Thanks guys for the inputs.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thanks bro. I think I should just bulk, slowly. I'm going to eat at maintenance calories, to normalize everything and then eat on a surplus, maybe 10% above my TDEE (I've been reading here in the forums and I think this is a good start). I'm using Fierce 5 beginner program and I think my workouts are pretty intense. Thanks guys for the inputs.
    Sounds smart.

At some point you just have to put in the basic work in the gym and not worry so much. It's about 100x more important than the difference between a few BF% points when you are just starting out to get in the gym, build up the ability to train, and develop some generic strength, muscle, and ability.

Good luck with your progress.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

DomSquadd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    At some point you just have to put in the basic work in the gym and not worry so much. It's about 100x more important than the difference between a few BF% points when you are just starting out to get in the gym, build up the ability to train, and develop some generic strength, muscle, and ability.
    ^ This times 100. It's so much easier to stick to any plan once you've started to see some results, even if they're super minor IMO. I see too many beginners get stuck with analysis paralysis when they should just be in the gym learning how to train and building the foundation.

peleguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I looked at your photo, and I am sorry, but I dont see 15% BF anywhere there.

I would say 22%

BLUK immediately!
    Bluk or cut - that's not even the right question that should be asked here

Cutting shouldn't even be on your mind for the next 12-18 months (?)

just make sure to DO IT RIGHT, gain as clean as possible, you might not even need a "CUT" after 18 months

get out of your mind BLUK-CUT cycles, because you are not there

in theory -
    gain 50lbs muscle in the next 18 months

lets say now you are 150lbs and 22% making it 33lbs of total fat and 117 LBM
    add 50lbs clean pounds and at 200lbs you drop down to 16.5% BF
    now we put it in theory because the no natural way for you to gain 50lbs of muscle and 0 of fat,
    but you have good "margin" to play on becuase if the 50lbs you gain would be 41 muscle 9 fat - you are still in the same 22% but you will look much better with 41 lbs of extra muscle than right now
    Last edited by peleguy; 08-23-2016 at 10:03 AM.

nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by peleguy View Post
    I looked at your photo, and I am sorry, but I dont see 15% BF anywhere there.

I would say 22%

BLUK immediately!
    Bluk or cut - that's not even the right question that should be asked here

Cutting shouldn't even be on your mind for the next 12-18 months (?)

just make sure to DO IT RIGHT, gain as clean as possible, you might not even need a "CUT" after 18 months

get out of your mind BLUK-CUT cycles, because you are not there

in theory -
    gain 50lbs muscle in the next 18 months

lets say now you are 150lbs and 22% making it 33lbs of total fat and 117 LBM
    add 50lbs clean pounds and at 200lbs you drop down to 16.5% BF
    now we put it in theory because the no natural way for you to gain 50lbs of muscle and 0 of fat,
    but you have good "margin" to play on becuase if the 50lbs you gain would be 41 muscle 9 fat - you are still in the same 22% but you will look much better with 41 lbs of extra muscle than right now
    ...BLUKing for the win.

Thanks everyone. Will rep all helpful posts.

SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50) SteveFromNY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    definitely bulk like others have said. we're similar height and at 150 I was fairly defined. good job on the massive cut so far, I know you busted your ass to do it, so don't let the scale creeping back up deter you from gaining muscle!

Good luck OP!
    2011:
    LBS: 210+ to 148
    BF%: 28+ to 11%

2015:
    LBS: 170 to 149
    BF%: 20 to 12.8%

Goal: 170LBS, 10%BF