dylingram has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Taking a dent out of my diet hunger

Hi guys, currently cutting down from 18% bf to (hopefully) around 10-12% and diet is going great but hunger is driving me nuts. I know a lot of people use coffee as an appetite suppressant and I was wondering if decaf coffee has the same effect. I have a caffeine hypersensitivity/ allergy but was hoping decaf could still curb my appetite. Thanks

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're already looking for appetite suppressants and are "hungry" at 18% BF. You're not going to like being at 10-12%.

jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jampottt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you consuming very low dietary fat by any chance?

If the above is yes, adjust your diet accordingly. Sources of fat are wonderful for suppressing appetite. When I first started dieting, I assumed everything had to be low fat and would be starving, constantly. As soon as I introduced 0.4g of Fat per lb of BW I found I no longer had such bad hunger and found my dieting to be easier / more successful.

bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunnydelacruz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Increase movement + add more calories?
    If you're having curl problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a bench ain't one

All weights were lifted gallagnm's Avatar
    gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bunnydelacruz View Post
    Increase movement + add more calories?
    could do this^^^

but if there is a lack of time in the day.. trust me I understand lol. You can try your decaf coffee and see what happens, tbh I have no idea.

are you spacing your meals out appropriately? Time of training can help too. Going to the gym on a time when youre usually hungry and cheating on your diet can help make time pass and fill you up with water --> drink more water if youre not already.

most of the time its mind over matter if you have the right macro and micro nutrients down. Read a book, tweak your training plan... experiment with your day and see how it goes.
    Personal Journal (ISSA-SSC, AFAA-CGFI, SPT)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175995851

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, it's the caffeine that suppresses hunger, so decaf won't cut it. Make your diet so that you're filling foods as filling as possible, and if you've already maxed out on that, go with the EC stack.
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tyler2106 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What does you diet look like? How many calories are you eating a day? What are you macros? Cutting sucks as you're in a constant state of hunger, but you should be able to find foods that curb that for the most part.
    New England Patriot
    MISC Dynasty League Champion 2018

JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JackMan017 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dylingram View Post
    Hi guys, currently cutting down from 18% bf to (hopefully) around 10-12% and diet is going great but hunger is driving me nuts. I know a lot of people use coffee as an appetite suppressant and I was wondering if decaf coffee has the same effect. I have a caffeine hypersensitivity/ allergy but was hoping decaf could still curb my appetite. Thanks
    For your diet make sure you're eating enough fiber
    Eat foods with low calories so you can stay more full throughout the day (400 calories of veggies is going to keep you more full than 400 calories of 2 pop tarts)
    Chew gum
    Drink diet coke
    Drink water
    Move more (slow walks are perfect IMO)
    Visit the MISC section on here so you can keep busy while LOL at some of the posts.
    Take one day at a time. Think about your goals.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    If you're already looking for appetite suppressants and are "hungry" at 18% BF. You're not going to like being at 10-12%.
    Haha, not really sure what to say other than that I have a monster appetite (probably would be a lot worse than 18% if I wasn't 19 and pretty active).

Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
    Are you consuming very low dietary fat by any chance?

If the above is yes, adjust your diet accordingly. Sources of fat are wonderful for suppressing appetite. When I first started dieting, I assumed everything had to be low fat and would be starving, constantly. As soon as I introduced 0.4g of Fat per lb of BW I found I no longer had such bad hunger and found my dieting to be easier / more successful.
    Interesting.. I take note of how much protein/ carb I intake but not fat, I just let the fat fall into place when getting to my caloric goals. Ill try this

Originally Posted by gallagnm View Post
    could do this^^^

but if there is a lack of time in the day.. trust me I understand lol. You can try your decaf coffee and see what happens, tbh I have no idea.

are you spacing your meals out appropriately? Time of training can help too. Going to the gym on a time when youre usually hungry and cheating on your diet can help make time pass and fill you up with water --> drink more water if youre not already.

most of the time its mind over matter if you have the right macro and micro nutrients down. Read a book, tweak your training plan... experiment with your day and see how it goes.
    Maybe I should add some cardio and not let the diet do all the work.

Originally Posted by Tyler2106 View Post
    What does you diet look like? How many calories are you eating a day? What are you macros? Cutting sucks as you're in a constant state of hunger, but you should be able to find foods that curb that for the most part.
    I'm doing my best to eat 2200-2300 a day with 1Gram protein per lb of body weight. I try to eat a sh** ton of carbs too to keep my energy levels up. Works for energy but makes me hungry. Fats I just let fall into place while getting to my caloric goals with things like almond butter eggs salmon etc.

Originally Posted by JackMan017 View Post
    For your diet make sure you're eating enough fiber
    Eat foods with low calories so you can stay more full throughout the day (400 calories of veggies is going to keep you more full than 400 calories of 2 pop tarts)
    Chew gum
    Drink diet coke
    Drink water
    Move more (slow walks are perfect IMO)
    Visit the MISC section on here so you can keep busy while LOL at some of the posts.
    Take one day at a time. Think about your goals.
    Will take the water intake and gum into mind. Also the fiber, I don't ever pay much attention to fiber.

Also, can someone tell me how to respond to multiple reply's in one response? feel like a noob responding with 5 individual replies

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Haha, not really sure what to say other than that I have a monster appetite (probably would be a lot worse than 18% if I wasn't 19 and pretty active).
    And like I said, it'll be worse at a lower body fat %.

And like I said, it'll be worse at a lower body fat %.
    True. Never been the former, but I pick hungry and lean over fat and satiated tho.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Maybe I should add some cardio and not let the diet do all the work.
    Results vary. Many people tend to get some hunger relief temporarily from the exercise, only to get even hungrier at a later time.

However some type of activity that will take your mind off hunger might be good. Read a book, play a game. Sometimes you just need to distract the "eat,eat,eat" train of thought for a few minutes and it blows over.

As for decaf, if you like coffee and have some decaf why not try it? Just making the coffee will keep you busy a few minutes and you might forget about the hangry attack.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

True. Never been the former, but I pick hungry and lean over fat and satiated tho.
    Refrain from thinking in terms of black and white.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Results vary. Many people tend to get some hunger relief temporarily from the exercise, only to get even hungrier at a later time.

However some type of activity that will take your mind off hunger might be good. Read a book, play a game. Sometimes you just need to distract the "eat,eat,eat" train of thought for a few minutes and it blows over.

As for decaf, if you like coffee and have some decaf why not try it? Just making the coffee will keep you busy a few minutes and you might forget about the hangry attack.
    I'm gonna try it anyway. Maybe a placebo effect will take place.

Refrain from thinking in terms of black and white.
    Enlighten me on what you mean by this in terms of being lean

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Enlighten me on what you mean by this in terms of being lean
    That it's not a choice between hungry and lean and fat and satiated.
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm gonna try it anyway. Maybe a placebo effect will take place.
    Nothing wrong with a good placebo effect IMO. I've always found hot drinks or soups help with hunger anyway.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sometimes it's about working smarter not harder. I'm cutting on 1900 calories now and I done the same things a few years a go but because I was getting a lot of my fat from drinking cod liver oil and drinking yogurts for a healthy gut and eating six small meals a day I spent most of my day in hunger.

Now I'm cutting on 1900 calories and I feel completely different and it's so easy. My tips are:

1. Drink a lot of caffeine ( i know OP can't)
    2. Drink lots of water
    3. IF has been a God send for me, I have my first meal at 6pm and my body rarely craves food before that time.
    4. Eat lots of veg, not only for it's brilliant micronutrients but you can pack away lots of volume for very little cost in calories
    5. Have a few go to meals that you like and are cost effective in terms of macros. My usual first meal of 200g of smoked salmon with 3 scrambled eggs with tomato and spring onion and mushrooms on the side is a great base for my protein and fat with very little carbs.
    6. Eat your calories
    7. Try to have big meals that fill you up and don't leave you hungrier than when you started (all within your calorie and macro budget obviously).
    8. Diet sodas work wonders for me as well.

www.egyfitness.com Finnegan Bell's Avatar
    Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Clean your kitchen..if you can't find it , you can't eat it..
    https://www.egyfitness.com