EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Will a full body weight-lifting program 3 times per week, destroy muscle fibers?

I have a question, I am right now doing a full body weight training program on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Is this way of weight training counter-productive? And will this way of weight training, done 3 days per week lead to a loss of muscle strength on the basic weight training exercises and to a loss of muscle size?

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EternalReturn View Post
    I have a question, I am right now doing a full body weight training program on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Is this way of weight training counter-productive? And will this way of weight training, done 3 days per week lead to a loss of muscle strength on the basic weight training exercises and to a loss of muscle size?
    Not ideal for a 31 year old, would have been ok at 16-20something. You need more recovery now that you're a geezer, chop them up into upper & lower or push & pull.

EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) EternalReturn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Thanks a lot. I've doing a full body workout 3 days per week, combined with 1 hour and a half of cardio exercise. And even though I've been taking lots of whey protein, I have been losing muscle strength in the basic weight lifting exercises. I will change my routine from now on, in order to prevent more destruction of muscle strength and size. I will only do a 2 days a week full body workout. Or a split routine in order to hit each body part only 2 days a week

Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post
    Not ideal for a 31 year old, would have been ok at 16-20something. You need more recovery now that you're a geezer, chop them up into upper & lower or push & pull.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks a lot. I've doing a full body workout 3 days per week, combined with 1 hour and a half of cardio exercise. And even though I've been taking lots of whey protein, I have been losing muscle strength in the basic weight lifting exercises. I will change my routine from now on, in order to prevent more destruction of muscle strength and size. I will only do a 2 days a week full body workout. Or a split routine in order to hit each body part only 2 days a week

Please stop posting nonsense. If you are having problems with your training:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

If you are losing strength could be any number of issues, trianing, cardio interference, inadequate intake. Just switching frequency of training as a knee jerk might not be the wisest plan.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

I've changed from doing each body part 3 days per week, to a regular 2 days per week (just like Rugger7 suggested in his comment), and I feel a lot better, I am not losing strength.

But thanks anyways for your tip

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Please stop posting nonsense. If you are having problems with your training:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

If you are losing strength could be any number of issues, trianing, cardio interference, inadequate intake. Just switching frequency of training as a knee jerk might not be the wisest plan.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've doing a full body workout 3 days per week, combined with 1 hour and a half of cardio exercise.
    There's your problem, in bold ^^^.

Full body workouts can work excellent. Combining cardio and lower body lifts in one workout can lead to interference.

Do some light cardio on off days.

If you prefer an upper/lower split that's fine too. Cardio after your lower workout can still cause interference problems.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If your rest periods aren't too long between sets, then cardio exercise actually doesn't provide that much of a benefit. Whey protein is processed junk, your money is better spent on actual food. If your caloric consumption is appropriate and capable of fulfilling your glucose requirements, you should have no problem with doing a full body workout, three times per week.

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've changed from doing each body part 3 days per week, to a regular 2 days per week (just like Rugger7 suggested in his comment), and I feel a lot better, I am not losing strength.

But thanks anyways for your tip
    I will just say this, everybody is different, and as we age we all age differently. I started lifting when I was 14 and am almost 33 now. Between about ages 16 - 26 I would lift all the time. 3 hour sessions, heavy weights, lots of sets. I'd take maybe 1 - 2 days off in between lifting depending on my schedule and how I was feeling. So I would guess I was lifting 4 days per week. As I got older (and I was not doing much cardio as this poster was) I started noticing that I wasn't getting stronger or bigger and I was really lacking in the weight room. I started increasing days between each lift and decreasing total volume - immediately I started getting bigger and stronger again. I have more LBM than I've ever had, I'm not quite as strong as I was in my mid-late 20's but I'm not far off. These days I normally lift 6 days per month maximum and I'm doing just fine. I think what I've noticed is it is all about the quality of both the lifting session and the recovery, more than the quantity. This means getting good rest and nutrition before your lift (I'm talking a day or two before if you're serious about gaining) and the same after you lift combined with the best intensity you can offer for your session. I guarantee you 6 high-quality high-intensity lift sessions a month combined with good recovery and nutrition will do you more good than 12-15 low quality lift sessions with inadequate recovery.

Additionally, you might be saving yourself down the road from overuse injuries. One of the reasons I started lifting less was I wasn't feeling fully ready for my next lift day in my late-20's as I was in my early 20's, but then I also started having shoulder problems which I found was weight lifter's shoulder (distal clavicle osteolysis) which is mainly treated by more rest days between shoulder workouts. The way the doctor described it the major reason my shoulders were messed up was too many heavy lift days too close together and I'm sure that other parts of our bodies are experiencing similar traumas that need more recovery, the shoulder was my weak link, yours might be something else.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to explain me how lack of rest, and too many sets can destroy our muscle strength. You are totally right about how our energies are weaker as we get older. I used to do a full body workout 3 days per week. And like you said, the lack of rest days between each full body workout was one of the main reasons of why I have lost power in the basic weight training exercises such as flat bench press and other important basic weight lifting exercises as a result of the lack of rest days between full body workouts done 3 days per week.

I will try to reduce the full body workouts, to 2 full body workouts per week (Mondays and Thursdays), which would be about 8 full body workouts per month

Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post
    I will just say this, everybody is different, and as we age we all age differently. I started lifting when I was 14 and am almost 33 now. Between about ages 16 - 26 I would lift all the time. 3 hour sessions, heavy weights, lots of sets. I'd take maybe 1 - 2 days off in between lifting depending on my schedule and how I was feeling. So I would guess I was lifting 4 days per week. As I got older (and I was not doing much cardio as this poster was) I started noticing that I wasn't getting stronger or bigger and I was really lacking in the weight room. I started increasing days between each lift and decreasing total volume - immediately I started getting bigger and stronger again. I have more LBM than I've ever had, I'm not quite as strong as I was in my mid-late 20's but I'm not far off. These days I normally lift 6 days per month maximum and I'm doing just fine. I think what I've noticed is it is all about the quality of both the lifting session and the recovery, more than the quantity. This means getting good rest and nutrition before your lift (I'm talking a day or two before if you're serious about gaining) and the same after you lift combined with the best intensity you can offer for your session. I guarantee you 6 high-quality high-intensity lift sessions a month combined with good recovery and nutrition will do you more good than 12-15 low quality lift sessions with inadequate recovery.

Additionally, you might be saving yourself down the road from overuse injuries. One of the reasons I started lifting less was I wasn't feeling fully ready for my next lift day in my late-20's as I was in my early 20's, but then I also started having shoulder problems which I found was weight lifter's shoulder (distal clavicle osteolysis) which is mainly treated by more rest days between shoulder workouts. The way the doctor described it the major reason my shoulders were messed up was too many heavy lift days too close together and I'm sure that other parts of our bodies are experiencing similar traumas that need more recovery, the shoulder was my weak link, yours might be something else.