Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Write-Up on The Texas Method

For those of you who dont subscribe to my journal, im doing the texas method.

so, im taking this from Mark Rippetoe's book Practical Programming and im gonna add some stuff in it which i think might apply in addition to my thoughts. Credit goes to Mark Rippetoe.

THE TEXAS METHOD

Introduction

This method uses a sharp contrast in training variables between the beginning and the end of the week. High volume at moderate intensity is used at the first of the week, a light workout is done in the middle for maitenance of motor pathways, and then a high intensity workout at very low volume ends the week.

This simple program is probably the most productive routine in existence for trainees at this level. It is usually the first program to use when simple linear programming doesnt work anymore. The trainee is transition from a novice to an intermediate is unable to make progress with either a workoutload he can recover from enough to do 2 to 3 times per week, or conversely, a workload that is stressful enough to produce the stress/adaptation/supercompensation cycle that he cannot recover from quickly enough to do 2 to 3 times per week.

In-Depth Coverage With Examples, Modifications, etc etc etc

In the Texas Method, the workout at the beginning of the week is the "stress" workout, the lighter midweek workout comes during the recovery period, and the last, higher-intensity/lower-volume workout is done when the trainee has recovered enough to show an increase in perfermance. The total weekly training volume and training stress is low enough that as each week begins the trainee has no accumulated fatigue from the previous week, yet the one "stress" workout on Monday is high enough in volume to trigger an adaptation, and the heavy single set on Friday provides enough intensity that neuromuscular function is reinforced without fatally upping the volume.

A classic example of this variation would be a squat program where, after warm-ups, Monday's workout is 5 work sets of 5 across, Wednesday's is lighter - perhaps 5's at 80% of 5RM, or front squats for a variation in exercise technique - and Friday's is a single heavier set of 5. It looks like this:

Monday
    Squat, 5 sets of 5 reps

Wednesday
    Squat, 2 light sets of 5
    -or-
    Front Squat, 3 sets of 3

Friday
    Squat, One heavy set of 5

Here is another example of this basic intermediate template, this time for pressing exercises:

Monday
    Push Press, 6 sets of 3 reps

Wednesday
    Press, 2 sets of 5 reps

Friday
    Push Press, 1RM, 2RM, or 3RM

Most intermediate trainees will be able to spend months making progress on programs set up like this one. Different set and rep schemes can be used, as long as the basic template of a volume workout, a light workout, and an intensity workout is followed.

The Monday workout should be stressful enough to cause hemeostatic disruption. The second training session should be enough work that the muscles involved are used through the range of motion, but at a load that does not add to the disruption caused by the first workout. The third day should be an attempt at a personal record.

When a program like this is started, the goal is to make progress on both Monday and Friday, just as in the novice program. When all the prescribed sets and reps on Monday are accomplished, raise the weight for the next week. If a new 1RM is set on Friday, next week try for a new 2RM. In essense, linear progress is still being made, but the line is now being drawn between Monday and Monday and Friday and Friday, instead of between Monday and Wednesday.

Very often, after 4 or 5 weeks of the progress with personal records getting more difficult on Friday, what is needed to keep the cycle running for a few more weeks is nothing more than a slight reduction in Monday's workload. Cut back the number of sets, or even the weight on the bar a little, and progress on Friday's workout can usually be sustained. The object is to make Monday's workout stressful enough to spur progress, not so stressful that it interferes with Friday's PR.

If progress simply stalls, with no reduction in the ability to complete Monday's workouts but an absense of personal records on Fridays, the stress needed to spur progress is probably not being applied on Monday. Often an increase or slight change in Monday's workout will restore progress. Adding a set is a good idea. Or, holding the total number of reps constant while using more lower-rep sets with a slightly higher weight also works well.

If however, actual regression occurs, not only in Friday's workout but with staleness carrying over into Monday, then usually the workload on Monday is too high, and residual unrecovered fatigue is creeping in. Possible solutions could be to drop a set or two from the sets across, reduce the work-set weight, or reduce the reps in the work sets - from 5 sets of 5 with 300 pounds to 5 sets of 3 with 300 for example.

SPEED SETS
    A valuable training tool that fits very well into this template is speed sets, as popularized by Louie Simmons in his Westside method. High intensity training, the utilization of a very high percentage of force production capacity, is very productive but difficult to recover from in large doses.

When beginning this type of training, it is normal to continue to use 5 sets of 5 on Monday and replace Friday's workout with speed sets. usually u do a 3 week cycle in Westside.
    Week 1: 12 sets of 2 reps @ 50% of 1RM
    Week 2: 12 sets of 2 reps @ 55% of 1RM
    Week 3: 10 sets of 2 reps @ 60% of 1RM
    this cycle is then repeated many many times.

The object is to really explode under the bar and complete each set as quickly as possible. It is normal to take 2 to 3 workouts to get adjusted to this system. If even the last rep of the last set slows down, the weight is too heavy. In fact, the first time this workout is used, the last set of 3 should be noticeably faster than the first. The speed workout is substituted for the PR workout on Friday, with the high volume workout remaining as the primary stressor on Monday.

Recap

The Texas Model works in 3 sessions:
    High Volume / High Intensity Session
    Low Volume / Low Intensity Session
    Low Volume / High Intensity Session

In summary, this is how it is outlined:

Monday
    Squats 5 sets of 5 reps across
    Bench Press 5 sets of 5 reps across
    JS Rows / Power Cleans 5 sets of 5 reps across

Wednesday
    Squats 2 sets of 5 reps @ 80% of Monday
    Press 3 sets of 5 reps
    Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps

Friday
    Squats 1 set of 5 new PR
    Bench Press 1 set of 5 new PR
    Pull-ups 3 sets to failure

the last program is a mere example and can be modified in many many ways.

Please buy the books.

Andalite

adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sweet i am about 170 pages into ripptoes practcal programming right now
    i havent got to that part yet
    i will tell ya when i do
    my blogs
    howigotripped.wordpress.com
    submissiongrappling.wordpress.com

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this book sounds great, I first heard about it on fortified iron forums, I will definetly be picking this baby up.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Climbing back to the top. Hizzie's Avatar
    Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good post.
    Review Page
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=894821

Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ordered both Starting strength and Practical Programming off Amazon...Should be here tomorrow and I can't wait. Interesting write up. Good luck with the program!

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tucdaddy View Post
    Ordered both Starting strength and Practical Programming off Amazon...Should be here tomorrow and I can't wait. Interesting write up. Good luck with the program!
    both those books are fantastic.

My Bible is Practical Programming

My God is Mark Rippetoe

haha

bump

toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50) toefur will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

I already have Starting Strength, but I definitely need to pick up Practical Programming before the Strating Strength program runs its course

Best of luck with the new program!
    -toefur-

Super Awesome Workout Log 2:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122002101

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This sort of training protocol is great for someone that is finding himself in a "transition" phase between Rippetoe's Starting Strength program and the popular Intermediate 5x5. For those of you at the tail end of Starting Strength wanting to keep with the 5x5 system, the Texas Method is something to give serious consideration to. Hopefully this writeup and Andalite's journal will increase awareness of this method and we'll see a lot of people using it.

lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks quite interesting, might have to give this a go after my current intermediate cycle
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm - READ IT!

"In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you"

Rip: You need to drink one gallon of full fat milk everyday. It's almost mandatory.
    Somebody from audience: I'm lactose intolerant, could I substitute milk for yogurt?
    Rip: Gallon of yogurt.

eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10) eekrazyk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the writeup! I read about the Texas Method in PP and became real interested in it. I even searched the forums for mention of it and checked out your journal just yesterday.

I'm currently doing the madcow Intermediate 5x5 and making good gains. I'm thinking of going to the Texas Method (or some variation) when I exhaust my gains on this 5x5.
    My 5x5/TM Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=997071

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    matt reynolds aka animalmass on mesoRX is a big advocate of this, they call JS's 5x5 but hey, **** works!

bump

ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Andalite View Post

Recap

The Texas Model works in 3 sessions:

In summary, this is how it is outlined:

Monday
    Squats 5 sets of 5 reps across
    Bench Press 5 sets of 5 reps across
    JS Rows / Power Cleans 5 sets of 5 reps across

Wednesday
    Squats 2 sets of 5 reps @ 80% of Monday
    Press 3 sets of 5 reps
    Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps

Friday
    Squats 1 set of 5 new PR
    Bench Press 1 set of 5 new PR
    Pull-ups 3 sets to failure

the last program is a mere example and can be modified in many many ways.

Please buy the books.

Andalite
    Nice post. Repped. But a few questions. You added the westside principle right?

The other question, is this an example template you made up, or is this the one listed in PP? I noticed the only time you do deads is on the light day. Does this mean you only ever do light deads on the program?

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ReformingBB View Post
    The other question, is this an example template you made up, or is this the one listed in PP? I noticed the only time you do deads is on the light day. Does this mean you only ever do light deads on the program?
    He made up the routine using his chosen exercises. It looks like he basically stayed with the exercises from Starting Strength. The set/rep scheme is directly from PP. Also, the M, W, F scheme of volume, recovery, intensity is directly from the book.

Andalite, Rippetoe reviewed this post and said to tell you "good job!".

Reps to you as soon as the system will let me.

Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    oh. thanks. wow. what an honour. u just made my day!

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    oh. thanks. wow. what an honour. u just made my day!
    You must be grinning like a retarded kid on Christmas right now.

Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    You must be grinning like a retarded kid on Christmas right now.
    yes i am. how did u know?

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes i am. how did u know?
    Yes, when people start doing this routine, we'll call it the Andalites and tell them you said not to f*** with it.

Then we'll call it the Andylite. Then maybe the Andalight....

However we spell it, let's just be sure and tell people not to f**** with it.

Yes, when people start doing this routine, we'll call it the Andalites and tell them you said not to f*** with it.

Then we'll call it the Andylite. Then maybe the Andalight....

However we spell it, let's just be sure and tell people not to f**** with it.
    dude that really had me rolling on the floor laughing.....oh my god its hillarious..

Hey guys, I'm doing the And Lights routine and I had a couple questions. First, are you sure I should be squatting that much? Isn't that overtraining? My friend at the gym said it was and he's ripped. Also, I noticed that arms are badly neglected. I'm 6'1, 130 lbs and wanting some seriously hyooge gunzz. Can I add a couple of arm days? Also, why do they call it And Lights? Thank you.

Hey guys, I'm doing the And Lights routine and I had a couple questions. First, are you sure I should be squatting that much? Isn't that overtraining? My friend at the gym said it was and he's ripped. Also, I noticed that arms are badly neglected. I'm 6'1, 130 lbs and wanting some seriously hyooge gunzz. Can I add a couple of arm days? Also, why do they call it And Lights? Thank you.
    First, the program is call ANDALITES. Learn how to spell. If you think a dumb ass like yourself knows more than Anadalite, go ahead and change it.

Gee, someone needs to write a long ass sticky about this. We'll be swamped with these kinds of questions before too long.

First, the program is call ANDALITES. Learn how to spell. If you think a dumb ass like yourself knows more than Anadalite, go ahead and change it.

Gee, someone needs to write a long ass sticky about this. We'll be swamped with these kinds of questions before too long.
    Oh yeah, I forgot And Lights was God. Sorry. You people think Addle Ights is the end all be all of workout programs. If it's so great how come the pros don't use it? None of the big guys at my gym has even heard of Add-a-light. So there.

Oh yeah, I forgot And Lights was God. Sorry. You people think Addle Ights is the end all be all of workout programs. If it's so great how come the pros don't use it? None of the big guys at my gym has even heard of Add-a-light. So there.
    I want you to know that Andalite is a personal friend. Lencho will be making a movie about it soon.

God help me, I love parodies! I have a warped sense of humor. Seriously, Andalite (or however you spell it), good post. I'm going to have to try the Texas Method soon.

I want you to know that Andalite is a personal friend. Lencho will be making a movie about it soon.

God help me, I love parodies! I have a warped sense of humor. Seriously, Andalite (or however you spell it), good post. I'm going to have to try the Texas Method soon.
    dude, u crack me up...

u the man

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    ahahahaha. This thread just got even better.

And, on another note, great post, Andalite.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Originally Posted by Serpens Aeon View Post
    ahahahaha. This thread just got even better.

And, on another note, great post, Andalite.
    yeah this thread is becoming hillarous

thanks for the kind words bro

ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ReformingBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He made up the routine using his chosen exercises. It looks like he basically stayed with the exercises from Starting Strength. The set/rep scheme is directly from PP. Also, the M, W, F scheme of volume, recovery, intensity is directly from the book.

Reps to you as soon as the system will let me.
    Nice, but does that mean you only ever deadlift light?

Originally Posted by ReformingBB View Post
    Nice, but does that mean you only ever deadlift light?
    No, the OH press and DLs are heavy on Wednesday. It's a recovery day for the squats. It's very similar to madcow's 5X5 in that regard.

Bumparoo.