rebelroy11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adding/Decreasing weight for sets vs reps???

When starting a routine whether the sets and reps are 5x5 or 3x10, whatever, should you scale back or add weight to be able to do the full set of reps? I rarely have a spotter and I've noticed that if I'm doing a 5x5 routine for example that the first set I can pump out 5, then 5, then 4, 3, 1. Sometimes more or less. If this is the case should I decrease the total weight and make the first two sets easier so I can hope to do a full 5x5? Should I scale back the weight in the final three sets to be able to complete, or just keep going until my strength gains eventually allow me to do the full sets at that particular weight then go up???
    Last edited by rebelroy11; 09-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Perhaps you need more rest between sets? Are you doing 5 sets across or 2 warmups and 3 sets across?
    The floundering has ended.

Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    Perhaps you need more rest between sets? Are you doing 5 sets across or 2 warmups and 3 sets across?
    I usually do one warmup with just the bar to stretch everything really good. Then one set of 8 at around 130 lbs. Then start 5 sets @ 175.

Originally Posted by rebelroy11 View Post
    I usually do one warmup with just the bar to stretch everything really good. Then one set of 8 at around 130 lbs. Then start 5 sets @ 175.
    And I usually rest 1:00 to 1:30 between sets. Maybe longer. I never put a clock to it. Just whenever I feel ready to go again.

When starting a routine whether the sets and reps are 5x5 or 3x10, whatever, should you scale back or add weight to be able to do the full set of reps? I rarely have a spotter and I've noticed that if I'm doing a 5x5 routine for example that the first set I can pump out 5, then 5, then 4, 3, 1. Sometimes more or less. If this is the case should I decrease the total weight and make the first two sets easier so I can hope to do a full 5x5? Should I scale back the weight in the final three sets to be able to complete, or just keep going until my strength gains eventually allow me to do the full sets at that particular weight then go up???
    I want to be able to use a weight that I struggle on and can do all 5 reps of the first 4 sets and the 5th rep on the 5th set be pushing to failure. It may not even matter but thats why I ask if I should decrease/increase weight on seperate sets to be able to do 5 reps.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    How to deal with set/rep progression is determined by the particular program you're using and how it's set up.

if you're training on something you put together yourself, you need to decide on a protocol (pyramid, ramping , sets-across, etc.), and then stick with that same scheme while working to progress the weight(s) handled on a week-to-week (or whatever) basis.

With your "5 sets @175" example, I'll assume you're working for sets-across (IOW, getting 5 sets of 5 reps @175). If that's what your plan is, then stick to the 175 for every set for as many workouts as it takes until you're able to get all 5 reps on all 5 sets. At this time, you'll then add a little weight on the next scheduled workout and then work to progress that new, heavier weight up to 5x5.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    How to deal with set/rep progression is determined by the particular program you're using and how it's set up.

if you're training on something you put together yourself, you need to decide on a protocol (pyramid, ramping , sets-across, etc.), and then stick with that same scheme while working to progress the weight(s) handled on a week-to-week (or whatever) basis.

With your "5 sets @175" example, I'll assume you're working for sets-across (IOW, getting 5 sets of 5 reps @175). If that's what your plan is, then stick to the 175 for every set for as many workouts as it takes until you're able to get all 5 reps on all 5 sets. At this time, you'll then add a little weight on the next scheduled workout and then work to progress that new, heavier weight up to 5x5.
    Thanks! That's what I've been doing and will probably continue to do. I just like to leave the gym feeling accomplished. Mainly judging by how body feels. Since upping the weight and lowering the reps to 5x5 I don't get that feeling that I've had a great workout compared to when I do 3/4x10 or 3/4x12. Probably just a mental thing...