Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    skinniest200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think I've actually been doing something similar to this for a little while now and I like the idea of how the 3 different workouts work together. My thoughts on it are that the volume day is basically for "functional hypertrophy", or adding muscle mass using a rep range that still provides good carryover strength gains on the intensity days, kinda similar to a Repetition Effort (RE) day in Westside I think. Because of this I think of the volume day as training more directly for the muscle groups than for the specific lifts. I think of the middle workout as just kind of a maintenance day, where you might stimulate a small amount of growth or strength gains, but its mostly there for ?"active recovery" and to prevent degeneration/atrophy between the volume and intensity days. The middle day is also where I would consider doing speed work if interested, kinda using it as a small Dynamic Effort (DE) day in Westside terms. On my intensity days I actually do 5 sets of 1, instead of the 1 set of 5, as I find it easier to add weight this way, especially for deadlifts. I also do it this way because I think of the purpose of the intensity days as increasing neural or absolute strength, and because it lets you do a larger workload or total higher poundage within the same number of reps. I guess since I use the lower reps I would consider it close to a Max Effort (ME) day in Westside. I actually don't know why I'm comparing all the stuff to Westside terms since I've never used either program, but I think it makes it easier for some other people to understand.

Originally Posted by jp6v View Post
    Along similar lines, if you did switch to pure Texas Method for all your lifts I don't know that it is necessary to group all low-volume/high-intensity days together for all exercises like the example shows. You could try staggering them (Monday might be medium bench, light rows, heavy squat). I don't know how the trade-off of "not going for 3 PRs on a single day" versus "setting a PR in some lift every time you're in the gym" would work out in terms of overall mental fatigue.

Thats actually what I do, where I stagger the intensity days for my core exercises - deadlift, squat, bench, military press, row, and weighted pull-ups, so that that they're not all on the same day. I think it automatically forces you to have at least one of the core exercises/muscle groups setup where an intensity day is directly after a volume day, but I might be wrong. Also I'm not sure how staggering the intensity days or not would effect recovery on a M/W/F schedule because I've been taking 2 days rest between all workouts. My routine is listed in my journal if anybody wants to see an example of what I was doing, or if you think I really need to change anything.
    Food's afraid of me, i'm not afraid of it.

My Journal -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1891011

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    One thing that I might think about is how to best adapt volume/intensity to an upper/lower or push/pull type split.
    Off the top of my head...you could still do 3x/week full body but stagger the periodization of the "upper" and "lower" to manage time. So you might only be doing 1x5 for upper body work (albeit max effort) but 5x5 for lower body. Not really a true upper/lower or push/pull split, more like a half way measure.

You could just stick with a regular upper/lower split and rotate through the volume/recovery/intensity workout and just live with the fact that you have 7 days between the volume and the intensity instead of 4. So it'd look something like:

M-Upper volume
    T-Lower volume
    W-Rest
    Th-Upper recovery
    Fr-Lower recovery
    Sat, Sun-Rest

M-Upper intensity
    T-Lower intensity
    W-Rest
    Th-Upper volume
    Fr-Lower volume

Or do something similar with a 2-on, 1-off schedule.

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jp6v View Post
    M-Upper volume
    T-Lower volume
    W-Rest
    Th-Upper recovery
    Fr-Lower recovery
    Sat, Sun-Rest

M-Upper intensity
    T-Lower intensity
    W-Rest
    Th-Upper volume
    Fr-Lower volume

Or do something similar with a 2-on, 1-off schedule.
    there is no volume, intensity, recovery workouts. u have 3 and only 3 types:

1.) High Volume High Intensity (Heavy Day)

2.) Low Volume Low Intensity (Light Day)

3.) Low Volume High Intensity (Medium Day)

now if u break this up into upper-lower, then u as per PP u dont necessarily need to do a medium session. u could do:

Monday - Upper Heavy
    Tuesday - Lower Heavy

Thursday - Upper Light (throw in a medium session once in a while)
    Friday - Lower Light (throw in a medium session once in a while)

the thing is that there are many ways to go about this. it all depends on percentages.

perhaps u could do:

Week 1

Mon - Upper Heavy

Wed - Lower Medium

Friday - Upper Light

Week 2

Mon - Lower Heavy

Wed - Upper Medium

Fri - Lower Light

---x---

i like option 2 better to be honest. u know, u could even do:

Mon - Upper Heavy

Wed - Lower Heavy

Fri - Upper + Lower Light

or

Mon - Upper Heavy + Lower Light

Wed - Lower Heavy + Upper Light

Fri - Upper Medium + Lower Medium

---x---

just a few thoughts

Andalite

Lives in a power rack Dave(DBD)'s Avatar
    Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Andalite View Post
    The Texas Model works in 3 sessions:
    High Volume / High Intensity Session
    Low Volume / Low Intensity Session
    Low Volume / High Intensity Session

In summary, this is how it is outlined:

Monday
    High Volume / High Intensity Session
    Squats 5 sets of 5 reps across
    Bench Press 5 sets of 5 reps across
    JS Rows / Power Cleans 5 sets of 5 reps across

Wednesday
    Low Volume / Low Intensity Session
    Squats 2 sets of 5 reps @ 80% of Monday
    Press 3 sets of 5 reps
    Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps

Friday
    Low Volume / High Intensity Session
    Squats 1 set of 5 new PR
    Bench Press 1 set of 5 new PR
    Pull-ups 3 sets to failure

Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    No, the OH press and DLs are heavy on Wednesday. It's a recovery day for the squats. It's very similar to madcow's 5X5 in that regard.
    Its a recovery day only for the squats? I find that a little odd from the original write up it says:

The Monday workout should be stressful enough to cause hemeostatic disruption. The second training session should be enough work that the muscles involved are used through the range of motion, but at a load that does not add to the disruption caused by the first workout.
    To me it sounds like Wednesday is a recovery day for all muscles that recieved hemeostatic disruption. Which are all muscles hit by the rows, the bench and the squats. It also sounds to me as though the deadlifts are wednesdays compliments of the rows. So they should be done in a manner that is "Low volume/Low intensity." So something like 1 set of 5 at 80%-85% of your 5RM. Then on friday the chins up (probably wide grip) would be the "Low volume/High intensity" compliment of the Rows/Deadlifts. Thus you're not only recovering for the squats.
    "If you can't train and work in a warehouse at the same time, you probably have ovarian cancer. Consult your gynecologist." -Mark Rippetoe

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138060563

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DaveDBD
    To me it sounds like Wednesday is a recovery day for all muscles that recieved hemeostatic disruption. Which are all muscles hit by the rows, the bench and the squats. It also sounds to me as though the deadlifts are wednesdays compliments of the rows. So they should be done in a manner that is "Low volume/Low intensity." So something like 1 set of 5 at 80%-85% of your 5RM. Then on friday the chins up (probably wide grip) would be the "Low volume/High intensity" compliment of the Rows/Deadlifts. Thus you're not only recovering for the squats.
    what uve just written is correct and true. i wont paraphrase what uve written but everything uve written above is how its supposed to be.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dave(DBD) View Post
    That's one way of looking at it, and I believe it's how Andalite has it set up in his journal. I interpret things a bit differently and would probably use a slightly different format for myself if I were using the Texas Method to design my program. That's the beauty of this method, though - there really aren't a lot of set in stone rules so long as you follow the basic V-R-I format.

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    [QUOTE=Dave(DBD);29466091]
    I sincerely hate to disagree with The Andalite, but I can't imagine dead lifts being a recovery for anything. If doing dead lifts once per week, I still believe they should be heavy. The Wednesday presses are a recovery day for the bench in that they are a lighter pushing movement. The Wednesday squats are obviously a recovery day for the M/F squats.

The dead lifts, in effect, are not being trained with the volume - recovery - intensity of the Texas Method. I can't fathom ever trying deads three days per week (at least not for an intermediate). I don't see this as any different to madcow's 5X5 intermediate where Wednesday is the light day for both the squats and bench and heavy on the deads.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I sincerely hate to disagree with The Andalite, but I can't imagine dead lifts being a recovery for anything. If doing dead lifts once per week, I still believe they should be heavy. The Wednesday presses are a recovery day for the bench in that they are a lighter pushing movement. The Wednesday squats are obviously a recovery day for the M/F squats.
    Agreed. Though, I'm not sure I'd even do deads on Wednesday. But that's just me and my experience with Rippetoe and 5x5 type programs. For some it would probably work fine.

I sincerely hate to disagree with The Andalite, but I can't imagine dead lifts being a recovery for anything.
    i dont believe that either. i dont think that DBD said that either.....

*scratches his head* if he said deads are for recovery then i disagree with him.

Originally Posted by Dave
    If doing dead lifts once per week, I still believe they should be heavy. The Wednesday presses are a recovery day for the bench in that they are a lighter pushing movement. The Wednesday squats are obviously a recovery day for the M/F squats.
    what i have understood is that while militaries are heavy, they are not heavy enough to disrupt progress on monday or friday. similarly, the basic principle of this system has been outlined by mark rippetoe as being:

high volume high intensity
    low volume low intensity
    low volume high intensity

now, based on this, i think we are misunderstanding "heavy", "light" and "medium" days. those are just labels. the goal is to lift heavy in the sense of being heavy but heavy itself is a highly relative term.

mark rippetoe has never mentioned that u have to do light weights. its all based on percentages. if we analyse wednesday we can see light squats (which is based on percentages), heavy militaries (which is low volume and heavy weights) and heavy deads (which are very low volume and heavy weights).

i dont mean to offend anyone i just things some things need to be brought back into perspective.

The dead lifts, in effect, are not being trained with the volume - recovery - intensity of the Texas Method. I can't fathom ever trying deads three days per week (at least not for an intermediate). I don't see this as any different to madcow's 5X5 intermediate where Wednesday is the light day for both the squats and bench and heavy on the deads.
    true. but its low volume. u shouldnt feel drained or tired after wednesday. and we all know from PP that recovery determines progress and recovery also determines the level of a trainee.

Dave, i agree with u all the way make no mistake - so far atleast

Andalite

Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dave(DBD) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Something interesting to add. I don't know if everyone seens Kethnaab's awesome write up on Rippetoes. In that write-up he has inner write up on the Texas Method found here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...8&postcount=27

On the topic of of using deadlifts. I personally would use them on the intensity day with 3 to 5 reps. Personally I believe deads have to be done heavy to be done properly. Actualyl I like Keth's setup of using Rows/Chins/Deadlifts (V/R/I).
    "If you can't train and work in a warehouse at the same time, you probably have ovarian cancer. Consult your gynecologist." -Mark Rippetoe

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138060563

i dont believe that either. i dont think that DBD said that either.....

*scratches his head* if he said deads are for recovery then i disagree with him.
    I mentioned you could use deads on Recovery days on something like a 1x5 with 80% your 5RM. However, thats if you feel that you must dead on your recovery day.

I mentioned you could use deads on Recovery days on something like a 1x5 with 80% your 5RM. However, thats if you feel that you must dead on your recovery day.
    thats what i thought u said and i agree with that. but ive actually got a plan on how to increase my deads....i like ur idea and thats what i agreed with...

like i said: its not heavy, light medium, etc...they are labels.

its about volume and intensity and thats it.

high volume + high intensity

low volume + low intensity

low volume + high intensity

thats it.

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    Do you mean you would work to your 5x5 max over two weeks on the volume day and then ramp to a new 1x5 max on the intensity day? I'm a little confused as to what you're describing.
    I was actually thinking something more along the lines of 5x5 straight sets for several weeks with a heavy/light/medium rotation and then in a subsequent week you ramp your sets for a 1x5 in order to establish a new 5 rep pr. Then reset the 5x5 straight set weights off of that new 1x5 max.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I admit I started reading PP, and stalled out (during my month out of the gym in January). After seeing this, I jumped in and had a look at the section on the Texas Method.

For those who haven't seen my journal, I got sick just after the New Year, and was out of the gym until Feb. 2nd. So I scrapped my second SF 5x5 cycle and went with the Starting Strength approach to rebuild my strength (which had suffered greatly). As of now I'm a little ahead of the best 3x5 sets I had done before my break, but I'm seriously slowing down. Original plan was to jump back to 5x5 after SS stalled, but now I'm thinking about the Texas Method instead.

I hesitate to do a "check my workout" post...but would you guys check my proposed workout?

MONDAY (Heavy + Volume):
    Squat - 5x5 (sets across)
    Bench - 5x5 (sets across)
    Pendlay Row - 5x5 (sets across)
    Hypers
    Dips

WEDNESDAY (Light squats)
    Squat - 2 x 5 (80% of Monday weight)
    Deads - 1 x 5 heavy
    Overhead Press - 3 x 5
    Abs
    Pullups/Pulldowns

FRIDAY (Medium)
    Squat - warm up to 1x5 max
    Bench - warm up to 1x5 max
    Row - warm up to 1x5 max
    some kind of arm iso's in the 8-12 rep range

Looking at this, it looks similar to SF 5x5 except for the lower # of ramped sets, and probably a bit more volume overall. I'm not factoring any speed work at this point, maybe eventually.

I'm assuming the 5x5 sets on Monday are some percentage of 5RM, probably whatever you can complete 5 full sets with for each exercise?

Andalite, I appreciate you putting together your approach to this. I did look at your journal but the W1-W10 stuff confused me a bit when I tried to relate it to this, did I miss something?
    Last edited by r_graz; 03-25-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Andalite, I appreciate you putting together your approach to this. I did look at your journal but the W1-W10 stuff confused me a bit when I tried to relate it to this, did I miss something?
    dude, ur plan is swell and a lot like mine.

W1-10 means week 1 to week 10. its so that ppl can see how i increased the load over 10 weeks.

best of luck dude

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    W1-10 means week 1 to week 10. its so that ppl can see how i increased the load over 10 weeks.

best of luck dude
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, and thanks again for the write-up. Think I'll get started on this tomorrow!

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, and thanks again for the write-up. Think I'll get started on this tomorrow!
    best of luck dude

t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000)
    i wonder what madcow would have to say about this method

On the topic of of using deadlifts. I personally would use them on the intensity day with 3 to 5 reps. Personally I believe deads have to be done heavy to be done properly. Actualyl I like Keth's setup of using Rows/Chins/Deadlifts (V/R/I).
    Me too. I'm pretty sure that is exactly how I'd do it. This way, the V-R-I setup has a squat, a pressing movement, and a pulling movement each time. I'd put chins on Wednesday as Kethnaab listed and make that a very "low impact" type of workout. I'd probably use 3x3 front squats, too.

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    mark rippetoe has never mentioned that u have to do light weights. its all based on percentages. if we analyse wednesday we can see light squats (which is based on percentages), heavy militaries (which is low volume and heavy weights) and heavy deads (which are very low volume and heavy weights).
    Ok, that' my understanding also. The militaries are as heavy as you can go for militaries but, in the scheme of things, they're much lighter than the bench on Mon/Fri, with lower volume, so they do nothing to interfere with the recovery.

The deads, with only one heavy set, don't interfere with recovery even if you're setting DL PRs. On Madcow's intermediate, there are 5 ramping sets of 5 reps each. The last couple of sets are heavy and would interfere with recovery. My disagreement was in doing deads at 80% intensity.

Do we agree now?

BTW, Andalite, you're not ever going to offend me by disagreeing with me. Part of the reason I post is so that, if I'm wrong, someone will jump in and tell me so. That's why discussions like these are so good for everyone involved.

I hesitate to do a "check my workout" post...but would you guys check my proposed workout?

MONDAY (Heavy + Volume):
    Squat - 5x5 (sets across)
    Bench - 5x5 (sets across)
    Pendlay Row - 5x5 (sets across)
    Hypers
    Dips

WEDNESDAY (Light squats)
    Squat - 2 x 5 (80% of Monday weight)
    Deads - 1 x 5 heavy
    Overhead Press - 3 x 5
    Abs
    Pullups/Pulldowns

FRIDAY (Medium)
    Squat - warm up to 1x5 max
    Bench - warm up to 1x5 max
    Row - warm up to 1x5 max
    some kind of arm iso's in the 8-12 rep range
    I hope it's good because it's almost exactly what I have in mind! I like the routine that keth posted in the sticky also. I've always done deads on Wednesday, though, it's almost a tradition for me.

Ok, that' my understanding also. The militaries are as heavy as you can go for militaries but, in the scheme of things, they're much lighter than the bench on Mon/Fri, with lower volume, so they do nothing to interfere with the recovery.
    exactly. spot on dave!

The deads, with only one heavy set, don't interfere with recovery even if you're setting DL PRs. On Madcow's intermediate, there are 5 ramping sets of 5 reps each. The last couple of sets are heavy and would interfere with recovery. My disagreement was in doing deads at 80% intensity.
    mine too. i think u can do them to set PRs.

Do we agree now?
    absolutely!

BTW, Andalite, you're not ever going to offend me by disagreeing with me. Part of the reason I post is so that, if I'm wrong, someone will jump in and tell me so. That's why discussions like these are so good for everyone involved.
    no but disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing is dumb. if i disagree with u ill do it with respect and dignity. we're friends and i am in debt to u and i appreciate the favour u pulled for me

I hope it's good because it's almost exactly what I have in mind! I like the routine that keth posted in the sticky also. I've always done deads on Wednesday, though, it's almost a tradition for me.
    its a good routine. its a LOT like mine. a LOT.

but i spoke to Mark and he told me that setting a new 1RM on friday and then next friday a 2RM with the same weight then a 3RM the week later, then a 4RM then a 5RM then a new 1RM and repeat is perfectly ok (thats what im doing).

im gonna be doing something new this week. tune in to my journal and ull see what i plan on doing

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by t-p-c View Post
    i wonder what madcow would have to say about this method
    Madcow would be all about the Texas Method. The real crux of this method, it seems to me, is that volume drives intensity. I specifically remember Madcow saying that if someone was trying to bench 315 for 5, that they should first worry about getting 5X5X295, then they'd smoke 5X315.

I've had VERY similar experiences. I tried for AGES to get 3X315 on flat bench. When I finally stopped worrying so much about actually making 3X315 attempts (which I failed a total of 4 times over 6 months), and started steadily upping weight on some 3X5 work I was doing at the time, I actually made progress. When I finally got to 3X5X285, I pressed 3X315 with some left in the tank.

I'm convinced the ideas underneath this thread are the keys for most guys to making decent gains. To allow volume to drive intensity.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Madcow would be all about the Texas Method. The real crux of this method, it seems to me, is that volume drives intensity. I specifically remember Madcow saying that if someone was trying to bench 315 for 5, that they should first worry about getting 5X5X295, then they'd smoke 5X315.

I've had VERY similar experiences. I tried for AGES to get 3X315 on flat bench. When I finally stopped worrying so much about actually making 3X315 attempts (which I failed a total of 4 times over 6 months), and started steadily upping weight on some 3X5 work I was doing at the time, I actually made progress. When I finally got to 3X5X285, I pressed 3X315 with some left in the tank.

I'm convinced the ideas underneath this thread are the keys for most guys to making decent gains. To allow volume to drive intensity.
    dude, thats EXACTLY why monday is the most important day. its meant to drive progress. friday is a PR day, BUT the one and only day to judge progress is based on monday. for the precise reasons uve mentioned above. monday is the MOST important day.

The real crux of this method, it seems to me, is that volume drives intensity. I specifically remember Madcow saying that if someone was trying to bench 315 for 5, that they should first worry about getting 5X5X295, then they'd smoke 5X315.
    Exactly. You're almost using Friday as a measuring stick for Mondays. You want to be sure that you are giving yourself enough work on Monday for an adaptation to occur, but not so much that you overworking yourself. Friday's performance should be a good indicator as to whether you have done this. As Rippetoe says, if you're able to add weight or reps or whatever on Monday, but you aren't setting PRs Friday, you most likely aren't doing enough work.

EDIT: I see Andalite basically said the same thing. That's what I get for leaving the window open without typing for a while.
    Last edited by mjw8204; 03-25-2007 at 01:50 PM.

dude, thats EXACTLY why monday is the most important day. its meant to drive progress. friday is a PR day, BUT the one and only day to judge progress is based on monday. for the precise reasons uve mentioned above. monday is the MOST important day.
    ^^^^^^

If there's one thing people MUST understand and have right about the Texas Method it's this. If they aren't getting this right, they aren't using the Texas Method.

t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000) t-p-c is just really nice. (+1000)

i remember reading about your struggles in your journal and using that method

^^^^^^

If there's one thing people MUST understand and have right about the Texas Method it's this. If they aren't getting this right, they aren't using the Texas Method.
    How does one go about determining the amount of volume to use on Monday

The beauty of madcow's sf 5x5 is everything is laid out for you

This would take more understanding of your own abilities

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^^^^

Somewhere, KingFish is having a coronary... *sniff*
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

As Rippetoe says, if you're able to add weight or reps or whatever on Monday, but you aren't setting PRs Friday, you most likely aren't doing enough work.
    im sorry but when i spoke to rippetoe he never told me that. i discussed this program with him in depth and all i learnt is that u HAVE to progress on mondays and whatever u do on friday should make sure friday does not impede progress on monday. Mark also told me that as long as u dont regress on friday its fine.

now if lets say u really want to hit PRs on Friday, there are MANY ways to go about it:
    speed sets
    cycling loads
    and one more trick im gonna be using this friday

Andalite

Originally Posted by t-p-c View Post
    How does one go about determining the amount of volume to use on Monday

The beauty of madcow's sf 5x5 is everything is laid out for you

This would take more understanding of your own abilities
    Having everything laid out for you can be good for learning, too, but I'm the type that also likes to learn through tinkering and trial and error. The upper/lower split I'm doing now is a result of that. It's a work in progress.

As for where to start, just pick a conservative starting point in respect to your known maxes and take it from there. That's all you can really do.