Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    Bumparoo.
    x2

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's too bad this isn't catching on. If it's half as effective as Rippetoe and others promote it to be, it should be right up there with his Starting Strength program and the SF 5x5 as the top strength programs for beginners and intermediates.

Let's get some discussion going from my esteemed colleagues..

Reading "Practical Programming" the other day, I started thinking about what type of progression strategies on the volume day might translate to the best results on the intensity day. The most common strategy, and probably the first to come to everyone's mind is increasing the weight from week to week - i.e. 5x5x200 one week and then 5x5x205 the next. But what about keeping the weight the same for a few weeks and adding reps? Or how about keeing the weight the same for a while and adding on additional set for a week or two? Obviously, all of these strategies will mean an increased workload in some way, but they may not have the same effect on PR improvements in the intensity workout.

So, given these options, which do you think would most likely lead to the best PR improvements while mitigating the potential for excessive cumulative fatigue on volume day to adversly affect performance on intensity day? The Texas Method is ALL ABOUT negotiating volume and intensity, and as Rippetoe makes clear in his book, this can be a fine line for the intermediate lifter to walk.

For simplicity sake, let's think about the squat.

1) Adding weight each week
    ex: week 1: 5x5x200; week 2: 5x5x205; week 3: 5x5x210
    consider: How long can you sustain this before stalling or generating too much fatigue?

2) Adding reps each week
    ex: week 1: 5x5x200; week 2: 5x6x200; week 3: 5x7x200 (repeat process with 205 next week)

3) Adding a set each week
    ex: week 1: 4x5x200; week 2: 5x5x200; week 3: 6x5x200 (repeat process with 205 next week)
    Last edited by mjw8204; 03-23-2007 at 04:03 PM.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    that looks interesting! one thing I was thinking of doing, when I start the Texas Routine, is on the PR day, once a 1RM is hit, the next week hit the same weight with a 2RM, then the next week hit that same weight with a 3RM, I'm sure you would've attained a mastery of the weight at that point, in which case I would then up the weight.

as you can tell, I'm privy to the idea of adding reps for a few weeks before increasing weight, though I'm also privy to the idea of keeping with the cycle of adding weights each week as long as you can before trying the add reps method.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's too bad this isn't catching on...
    Good questions, MJW. I don't know the answers.

I thought about doing the Texas Method after coming off of SS but decided on madcow's 5X5 intermediate instead. The reason I dedided on the 5X5 was because it looked more like something I could handle. After doing 3X5 sets across on SS, I really liked the idea of ramping sets on madcow's routine.

To me, it looked like the Texas Method of 5X5 sets across was a more advanced routine. I never really talked to Rip about it except to ask what he thought about madcow's program. FWIW, he knows madcow well and was highly complimentary of the program.

I plan to try the Texas Method after I run my course with madcow's 5X5. I'm about ready to reset and run the 5X5 again. After that, I'll go with the Texas Method and see what happens. I agree, it looks like a great program for the intermediate lifter.

I guess what I'm saying is that the natural progression looks like SS to madcow to Texas Method. Just my opinion and it can be changed with a decent argument from someone.

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't butcher it to much did I? (in my journal)
    I've only done a week but it feels great, the only thing that botherd me was the time between sets 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 on monday, I'm running it until mid-may when spring training comes up
    "-and one time I was accused of holding satanic orgies.

Unfortunately this was not true." -Jim Wendler

mcgill09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcgill09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcgill09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcgill09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i did a similar writeup on the texas method (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2033&t=1603361) and emailed rippetoe about it....he said it looked good but needed some more pulling....any ideas?

Monday- (volume workout)
    squats- 5x5 heavy
    bench- 5x5 heavy
    bicep iso- 3x8-12
    hyperextensions- 2x8-12
    weighed crunches 2x8-12

Wednesday - (light workout)
    Front squat 3x3 OR back squat 2x5 (just make sure it's light)
    Deadlifts - 1x5 (work up to one heavy set of 5)
    standing OH - 2x5
    chins- 3xfailure
    tricep iso- 3x8

Friday - (intensity workout)
    squat- 1x5 (heavy set, it should prepare you for the high volume on monday)
    speed bench - 10x3 (about 50-70% of 1RM, 45 seconds rest between sets) OR a 1RM, 2RM, or 3RM attempt on bench
    BB Rows/cable rows- 4x6 OR 5x5
    bicep iso- 3x8
    dips- 3x8

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mcgill09 View Post
    i did a similar writeup on the texas method (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2033&t=1603361) and emailed rippetoe about it....he said it looked good but needed some more pulling....any ideas?
    lol... I had forgotten the post but I notice that I was concerned about the 5X5 sets across. That's the same thing I said in this thread. I may not know much but at least I'm consistant!

I'm curious, why didn't you ask Rip what he suggested for more pulls?

He's in Scotland right now on a two week vacation or I'd get some answers to some of these questions.

mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattforu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys i've been doing the andeligghhhtt program for a couple of months now and my knees are hurting is this because i'm doing so many squats. I'm up to like 405 on the squat, it feels really good to throw up all this weight but i'm worried bout my kneeeess. (response) how deep are you squating. (original poster) i go way down right until the point where i start to feel it in my butt then i shoot back up as quick as i can.

Seriously though i just got SS and Practical Programing from amazon today i can't wait to start reading away.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that the natural progression looks like SS to madcow to Texas Method. Just my opinion and it can be changed with a decent argument from someone.
    On page 179 of Practical Programming, Rippetoe states in reference to the Texas Method: "It is usually the first program to use when simple linear programming doesn't work anymore. The trainee in transition from novice to intermediate is unable to make progress with either a workload he can recover from enough to do 2 to 3 times per week, or conversely, a workload that is stressful enough to produce the stress/adaptation/supercompensation cycle but that he cannot recover from quickly enough to do 2 to 3 times per week."

I interpret this to mean that this would be the first step to take after a Starting Strength type of workout is no longer optimal for the lifter. Rippetoe goes on to state on page 182: "This is the simplest level of periodization, and this is the first appropriate time to use it." Again, this seems to fit best after Starting Strength. The SF 5x5 uses a slightly more complicated method of periodization than this, so I would say the logical progression would be SS-Texas-SF 5x5.

Was that argument decent enough to change your mind? When Rippetoe gets back from Scotland (lucky bastard), I'd love for you to pick his brain on my question.

Analysis paralysis Lifting N Tx's Avatar
    Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mattforu View Post
    hey guys i've been doing the andeligghhhtt program for a couple of months now and my knees are hurting is this because i'm doing so many squats. I'm up to like 405 on the squat, it feels really good to throw up all this weight but i'm worried bout my kneeeess. (response) how deep are you squating. (original poster) i go way down right until the point where i start to feel it in my butt then i shoot back up as quick as i can.
    I prefer ATG squats, as in hams on calves. Some may need to work on flexibility to do this. One simple explanation of why to do this for knee health goes something like this:

If you're squatting less deep than ATG you are using your knees as brakes to stop your downward motion before you reverse it. We all know that brakes wear out.
    Internet Weightlifting Expert.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1759931

"Only people willing to work to the point of discomfort on a regular basis using effective means to produce that discomfort will actually look like they have been other-than-comfortable most of the time." - Mark Rippetoe

Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I interpret this to mean that this would be the first step to take after a Starting Strength type of workout is no longer optimal for the lifter. Rippetoe goes on to state on page 182: "This is the simplest level of periodization, and this is the first appropriate time to use it." Again, this seems to fit best after Starting Strength. The SF 5x5 uses a slightly more complicated method of periodization than this, so I would say the logical progression would be SS-Texas-SF 5x5.
    I agree. To me, the Starting Strength, or Rippetoe program is tougher than Madcow's SF 5x5. The beginner can do it because he isn't that strong yet, so the 3x5 at max weight multiple times/week can be handled. You get stronger you need to ramp like the SF 5x5. This Texas method uses "sets across" on the Monday "volume workout", but has a light day and a ramped day. To me, from hardest to easiest its Rippetoe, Texas, Madcow SF.

Funny thing is the Madcow "Advanced" is a lot harder than his "Intermediate", but the hard workouts are only intended to be performed for a few weeks before a deload and peak. Here we get into longer term dual factor methods, instead of daily or weekly improvement. So the progression is from harder to easier workouts then back to harder when the routine is based on a dual factor cycle of multiple weeks.

The interesting thing about the volume day / light day / intensity day is that you're supposed to be able to tell whether the volume day is too stressful or not stressful enough. If you stall as far as setting Friday PRs, but can still do all the Monday volume, then you may need a stronger stimulus, and thus increase the Monday volume. If you stall on Fridays and also start failing to even get all the Monday work done, that's an indication that the Monday work is so much that you're not getting fully recovered. In that case you reduce the Monday work.

This last bit is from Practical Programming, I believe in the same chapter where he writes about the Texas method.

"Only people willing to work to the point of discomfort on a regular basis using effective means to produce that discomfort will actually look like they have been other-than-comfortable most of the time." - Mark Rippetoe

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    2) Adding reps each week
    It is a lot easier to make small increases in volume just by adding weight. In your examples the "before" volume is 5000 pounds but the "after" volumes is 5125 when you just add five pounds but keep the reps/sets constant but 6000 when you increase either sets or reps. Of course, it's not an apples to apples comparison with the resting between sets (or possibly even reps).

Of course, instead of going straight to 5 sets of 6 reps you could go to 6,5,5,5,5 and just add one rep to each set for five weeks until you get all sets up to 6 reps and then start the whole thing over again. That'd give you a lot smaller total volume jump and given the rest periods I would imagine most people would find that a gentler increase than just bumping the weight on straight sets.

Just bumping the weight by a couple of pounds seems easier to keep track of, though.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow... great thread. I suddenly feel quite smart. I've been big on alternating workload and intensity for a while.

On page 179 of Practical Programming, Rippetoe states in reference to the Texas Method: "It is usually the first program to use when simple linear programming doesn't work anymore. The trainee in transition from novice to intermediate is unable to make progress with either a workload he can recover from enough to do 2 to 3 times per week, or conversely, a workload that is stressful enough to produce the stress/adaptation/supercompensation cycle but that he cannot recover from quickly enough to do 2 to 3 times per week."

If we're working only in the world of 5X5 type programs, and the progression is SS, TM, SF 5X5... then the next logical step is an advanced 5X5.

This would mean the basis of the programs you're using would be...

SS: sets across
    TM: sets across + intensity
    SF 5X5: ALL Pyramid sets
    Advanced 5X5: sets across + intensity

Speaking from experience, if you stop working with sets across, especially on big movements like squats, and then try to go back to them, you're going to one hurting unit till you get your conditioning back. I would say that is one of the biggest problems with a single factor 5X5.

So if you're going to look at the Texas Method as a logical step after Starting Strength, then I'd move straight to the advanced 5X5 after you're worn out on TM. You'd obviously want to employ some more basic methods of periodization(weekly ramping poundages, easy intro weeks, playing with rep ranges or sets, etc) before you moved on to a full advanced 5X5 framework which has you PRing a lift once ever 4 weeks. If you can go faster than that, then by all means do it.

Unless you wanted to use something with drastically less volume to say, peak for a powerlifting meet or something, then a SF 5X5 might work well tossed in there. The problem is the lost conditioning due to the absence of straight sets.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

On page 179 of Practical Programming, Rippetoe states in reference to the Texas Method: "It is usually the first program to use when simple linear programming doesn't work anymore...
    I interpret this to mean that this would be the first step to take after a Starting Strength type of workout is no longer optimal for the lifter...
    Yes, I know. I've been known to argue with Rip on a thing or two. It just seemed to me that the ramping sets would be easier. I'm currently deloading and planned to do another run through the 5X5. What the heck, now would be as good a time as any to try out the Texas Method.

Let's see, MJW, I'm changing my mind on a regular basis. I have a full week of a deload to think about it. I could change my mind another three or four times in a week. Does that remind you of anyone else around here?

Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Wow... great thread. I suddenly feel quite smart. I've been big on alternating workload and intensity for a while.
    Negged for not knowing how smart you are!

Originally Posted by mattforu View Post
    ...andeligghhhtt program ...
    lol... It's already catching on. The correct spelling and terminology is "The Andelites".

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your real question. I'm bumping your question for you so it doesnt' get forgotten.

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by I-beam View Post
    I didn't butcher it to much did I? (in my journal)
    I've only done a week but it feels great, the only thing that botherd me was the time between sets 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 on monday, I'm running it until mid-may when spring training comes up
    ??
    "-and one time I was accused of holding satanic orgies.

Unfortunately this was not true." -Jim Wendler

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

If we're working only in the world of 5X5 type programs, and the progression is SS, TM, SF 5X5... then the next logical step is an advanced 5X5.

This would mean the basis of the programs you're using would be...

SS: sets across
    TM: sets across + intensity
    SF 5X5: ALL Pyramid sets
    Advanced 5X5: sets across + intensity
    Where have I seen all of these methods combined ? I'm getting ready to post those 2 programs plus a third 1 that I haven't finished the write up for.

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's too bad this isn't catching on. If it's half as effective as Rippetoe and others promote it to be, it should be right up there with his Starting Strength program and the SF 5x5 as the top strength programs for beginners and intermediates.

Let's get some discussion going from my esteemed colleagues..

Reading "Practical Programming" the other day, I started thinking about what type of progression strategies on the volume day might translate to the best results on the intensity day. The most common strategy, and probably the first to come to everyone's mind is increasing the weight from week to week - i.e. 5x5x200 one week and then 5x5x205 the next. But what about keeping the weight the same for a few weeks and adding reps? Or how about keeing the weight the same for a while and adding on additional set for a week or two? Obviously, all of these strategies will mean an increased workload in some way, but they may not have the same effect on PR improvements in the intensity workout.

So, given these options, which do you think would most likely lead to the best PR improvements while mitigating the potential for excessive cumulative fatigue on volume day to adversly affect performance on intensity day? The Texas Method is ALL ABOUT negotiating volume and intensity, and as Rippetoe makes clear in his book, this can be a fine line for the intermediate lifter to walk.

For simplicity sake, let's think about the squat.

ex: week 1: 5x5x200; week 2: 5x5x205; week 3: 5x5x210
    consider: How long can you sustain this before stalling or generating too much fatigue?

2) Adding reps each week
    ex: week 1: 5x5x200; week 2: 5x6x200; week 3: 5x7x200 (repeat process with 205 next week)

ex: week 1: 4x5x200; week 2: 5x5x200; week 3: 6x5x200 (repeat process with 205 next week)
    Those are some good ideas I think MJW.

Here's one I was thinking about. You run 5x5 straight sets for a couple of weeks and then you ramp to a new 1x5 max. Then you take the same percentage off your 1x5 to estimate your new 5x5 max. I believe MadCow drops about 7.5-8% off of the 1x5 max to estimate the 5x5 max.

So for example as of today, according to MadCow's spreadsheet, my 1x5 max is 330 on squat. That makes my 5x5 max on squat 305.

So, I'd work up to my 5x5 max over two weeks and then in week three ramp to a new 1x5 max. Then reset.

I'm not sure if this contributes to the quatifying of fatigue over time and how to manage it argument, but it does at least get me thinking about 5x5 program variables.

One thought though. I've done the SF 5x5 and now I'm on the DF 5x5 about to start week 3. Running a 5x5 straight sets at even 80% of your 1x5 max is a hell of a lot tougher than setting new PRs every week at a 1x5. You total tonnage is way lower for each workout and each week.

So, maybe making a hybrid system of the two would deload the body somewhat without totally decreasing sets and without manipulating reps.

I hope this at the very least contributes to the thoughts on this post. One of the best posts/debates I've seen on this board in a while.

Looks like we've got ourselves a discussion.
    Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    I agree. To me, the Starting Strength, or Rippetoe program is tougher than Madcow's SF 5x5. The beginner can do it because he isn't that strong yet, so the 3x5 at max weight multiple times/week can be handled. You get stronger you need to ramp like the SF 5x5. This Texas method uses "sets across" on the Monday "volume workout", but has a light day and a ramped day. To me, from hardest to easiest its Rippetoe, Texas, Madcow SF.
    That's how I see it, too. I don't think the intensity day with Texas Method even has to be "ramped" per se - at least not ramped in the sense that we use four sets of five warm up reps ramped to a top set of five. The intensity day should have super low volume as to not acquire additional fatigue for the week, which might hinder recovery over the weekend and interfere with the next volume day. So, I'd say for intensity day you would need to do the minimal amount of warm ups required to get ready for a heavy set and then go for the PR. That alone makes it a lower overall workload day than what typical "Friday" workout would be for the SF 5x5.
    Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    The interesting thing about the volume day / light day / intensity day is that you're supposed to be able to tell whether the volume day is too stressful or not stressful enough. If you stall as far as setting Friday PRs, but can still do all the Monday volume, then you may need a stronger stimulus, and thus increase the Monday volume. If you stall on Fridays and also start failing to even get all the Monday work done, that's an indication that the Monday work is so much that you're not getting fully recovered. In that case you reduce the Monday work.

This last bit is from Practical Programming, I believe in the same chapter where he writes about the Texas method.
    Yep, same chapter. It's in reference to gauging progress using this method. The trainee will have to play around with the volume for a while before he figures out what strategy will give him the best performance on intensity day. It would be a great learning tool for someone with the patience for it. If they're not interested in learning, this probably wouldn't be the best method for them and they'd be better off following something set in stone.
    Originally Posted by jp6v View Post
    It is a lot easier to make small increases in volume just by adding weight. In your examples the "before" volume is 5000 pounds but the "after" volumes is 5125 when you just add five pounds but keep the reps/sets constant but 6000 when you increase either sets or reps. Of course, it's not an apples to apples comparison with the resting between sets (or possibly even reps).

Of course, instead of going straight to 5 sets of 6 reps you could go to 6,5,5,5,5 and just add one rep to each set for five weeks until you get all sets up to 6 reps and then start the whole thing over again. That'd give you a lot smaller total volume jump and given the rest periods I would imagine most people would find that a gentler increase than just bumping the weight on straight sets.

Just bumping the weight by a couple of pounds seems easier to keep track of, though.
    I agree. If you think about it, by adding reps for a while and then bumping up the weight and starting over, you are in effect dropping the workload to correspond with an increase in intensity. If you set it up to where you bumped the weight every fourth week, you would almost give yourself a slight deload in order to get used to the new weight. I would imagine doing that for a few months could not only lead to a fairly substantial increase in performance, but an improved work capacity as well.
    So if you're going to look at the Texas Method as a logical step after Starting Strength, then I'd move straight to the advanced 5X5 after you're worn out on TM. You'd obviously want to employ some more basic methods of periodization(weekly ramping poundages, easy intro weeks, playing with rep ranges or sets, etc) before you moved on to a full advanced 5X5 framework which has you PRing a lift once ever 4 weeks. If you can go faster than that, then by all means do it.
    Interesting. So you think the Texas Method and the SF 5x5 are ideally two seperate paths in the 5x5 universe rather than a continuum?

Originally Posted by DallasLynx View Post
    Those are some good ideas I think MJW.

Here's one I was thinking about. You run 5x5 straight sets for a couple of weeks and then you ramp to a new 1x5 max. Then you take the same percentage off your 1x5 to estimate your new 5x5 max. I believe MadCow drops about 7.5-8% off of the 1x5 max to estimate the 5x5 max.

So for example as of today, according to MadCow's spreadsheet, my 1x5 max is 330 on squat. That makes my 5x5 max on squat 305.

So, I'd work up to my 5x5 max over two weeks and then in week three ramp to a new 1x5 max. Then reset.
    Do you mean you would work to your 5x5 max over two weeks on the volume day and then ramp to a new 1x5 max on the intensity day? I'm a little confused as to what you're describing.

Looks like we've got ourselves a discussion.
    Fun stuff, huh?

Lots of good ideas in this thread. I used some similar strategies to keep going on SS after I got to the point that I simply couldn't add weight to the bar every workout. Instead of doing 3 sets across, I'd do something like 1X195, 1X200, 1X205. Next workout, I'd bump those by 5 lbs. I'd think something similar could be done with 5 sets across.

Of course, the main point of the Texas Method is to keep bumping the weekly Friday PR. I definitely wouldn't do 5 ramping sets there. Only the minimum to get properly warmed up.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS strategy, meaning that I'd start the Texas Method by adding weight to the bar every workout. When that stops, I'd definitely try some of the alternatives in this thread.

I'm getting really interested in this idea. There are enough variables to play around with to keep me moving on this program for months on end. I've never been one to get bored with a workout and need to move on for the sake of moving.

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DallasLynx View Post
    So, maybe making a hybrid system of the two
    Another thread elsewhere (along with re-reading Andalite's initial post) reminded me that there is a temptation to see the "Texas Method" as a routine rather a, um, method. If someone is on Starting Strength, for instance, and their bench stalls (which is what most people seem to stall on first) they don't need to jump to a program like Andalite's example and use the Texas Method for all of their lifts. They could do the TM just for bench programming but stick with Starting Strength-style programming for their other lifts.

Along similar lines, if you did switch to pure Texas Method for all your lifts I don't know that it is necessary to group all low-volume/high-intensity days together for all exercises like the example shows. You could try staggering them (Monday might be medium bench, light rows, heavy squat). I don't know how the trade-off of "not going for 3 PRs on a single day" versus "setting a PR in some lift every time you're in the gym" would work out in terms of overall mental fatigue.

And, of course, if you decide to try substituting speed sets you don't need to do that for all of your lifts at the same time. You could just do speed sets on your bench while still trying for PRs on other lifts.

VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Interesting. So you think the Texas Method and the SF 5x5 are ideally two seperate paths in the 5x5 universe rather than a continuum?
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I think these two programs are really peers. That neither really should be done before the other, if we're talking about a progression of programs, which to do in what order.

Both programs are geered towards post beginner lifters, but have pretty drastically different ways of achieving their results. There's a huge difference in doing 5X5 pyramided VS 5X5 straight.

You know what I'm thinking? I think the best way to use these programs, if you're intent on using them both, would be in phases, in tandem with each other. Spend 6-8 weeks on one, then switch and use the other. One could then take better advantage of macro trends in training. The TM would become a volume macro phase, followed by a SF 5X5 which would be a more intensity driven macro phase.

I've got to get a copy of this book. Sounds really good.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Originally Posted by jp6v View Post
    Another thread elsewhere (along with re-reading Andalite's initial post) reminded me that there is a temptation to see the "Texas Method" as a routine rather a, um, method. If someone is on Starting Strength, for instance, and their bench stalls (which is what most people seem to stall on first) they don't need to jump to a program like Andalite's example and use the Texas Method for all of their lifts. They could do the TM just for bench programming but stick with Starting Strength-style programming for their other lifts.
    I remember when MJW was running Starting Strength, that's almost exactly what he did.

Had you read Practical Programming back then Matt?

Alternated sessions of workload with 3X5, then did a session of intensity with a 5RM. Broke him out of the plateau he was on.

If you hadn't read Practical Programming back then Matt, I think you can safely feel pretty proud of the direction your training naturally took.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think these two programs are really peers. That neither really should be done before the other, if we're talking about a progression of programs, which to do in what order.

Both programs are geered towards post beginner lifters, but have pretty drastically different ways of achieving their results. There's a huge difference in doing 5X5 pyramided VS 5X5 straight.

You know what I'm thinking? I think the best way to use these programs, if you're intent on using them both, would be in phases, in tandem with each other. Spend 6-8 weeks on one, then switch and use the other. One could then take better advantage of macro trends in training. The TM would become a volume macro phase, followed by a SF 5X5 which would be a more intensity driven macro phase.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Rippetoe's book definitely says that the Texas Method is the natural first step after SS. Madcow comes up with his 5X5 intermediate which is aimed at the same trainee. You have two different guys, who both know what they're doing, making recomendations for the same trainee. It would make sense that the programs are peers.

Interesting that you're thinking that alternating them would be a good idea. Definitely a big difference in 5X5 across and ramping. I've spent the last 8 weeks on madcow's version and it was beating me to death the last two weeks. I've decided to at least try the TM but the thought of 5X5 across sounds brutal to me.

As was mentioned earlier, though, there is a trade off on the PR day when you're only doing one real work set. I would think that the 5 rep PR would naturally be a little higher without the preliminary work sets.

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    wow this thread is amazing work.....i mean, i never thought so much discussion could take place...and ive been missing all of it

ok im gonna go read some of the stuff people have written and join the discussion....as long as i dont get bashed im happy

peace guys

Andalite

Interesting thoughts, V-Man. I'll have to ponder that a bit when I'm not so tired.

You haven't read Practical Programming yet? I highly recommend it. You'll love it.
    I remember when MJW was running Starting Strength, that's almost exactly what he did.

Had you read Practical Programming back then Matt?

Alternated sessions of workload with 3X5, then did a session of intensity with a 5RM. Broke him out of the plateau he was on.

If you hadn't read Practical Programming back then Matt, I think you can safely feel pretty proud of the direction your training naturally took.
    Nope, Practical Programming wasn't out when I did that. I just sort of came up with it on my own. Looking back, I could have made it work a lot better but I still didn't know a whole lot about negotiating volume and intensity at the time. It was sort of a crap shoot that paid off in the short term.
    Interesting that you're thinking that alternating them would be a good idea. Definitely a big difference in 5X5 across and ramping. I've spent the last 8 weeks on madcow's version and it was beating me to death the last two weeks. I've decided to at least try the TM but the thought of 5X5 across sounds brutal to me.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be 5x5 sets across, though, does it? At least not every week. In theory, you could probably work your way up to five reps or five sets over the course of a few weeks. Maybe start with 5x3, then 5x4, then 5x5.
    Last edited by mjw8204; 03-24-2007 at 09:13 PM.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 5x5 sets across, though, does it? At least not every week. In theory, you could probably work your way up to five reps or five sets over the course of a few weeks. Maybe start with 5x3, then 5x5, then 5x5.
    Yes, after another reading of the chapter, you are correct. I was remembering the first page with the sample squat workout. Later in the chapter he says that any set/rep scheme is Ok provided that you're following the basic volume - recovery - intensity pattern during the week. He gives a specific example on the push press.

My bad.

That reminds me, it's important people realize that the Texas Method isn't set in the stone. You basically make your own template to follow. Like jp6v has already mentioned, it's a method rather than a routine. It's a method of programming based on simple periodization strategies, the parameters of which you must define on your own. This isn't one those things where you start threads saying stuff like "I'm confused about what to do on the Texas routine". If this is something that intimidates you, or you would rather have set rules to follow, the SF 5x5 would most definitely be a better bet for you.

As was mentioned earlier, though, there is a trade off on the PR day when you're only doing one real work set. I would think that the 5 rep PR would naturally be a little higher without the preliminary work sets.
    I was thinking of the light and PR days being a little more like the Madcow Intermediate, but they aren't quite the same. The light day is somewhat comparable, but the PR day is likely way lower in volume than the Madcow Friday workout unless one requires a lot of warm ups. So maybe the overall stress is not that different. The 5 sets across does sound fairly brutal, but you're going to use a lower weight than the 1 set PR, so the first couple of sets may not be too bad.

I do still think that the TM is probably the tougher of the two, but as mjw says, you can adjust it. That's the whole point of the self-adjusting nature of it that I mentioned above. To me, that's perhaps the greatest virtue of this setup. It gives you a way to diagnose whether you have too much or too little volume in the stress workout.

One thing that I might think about is how to best adapt volume/intensity to an upper/lower or push/pull type split. I know that Rippetoe likes having that light active recovery day. However, I like working out 4 days a week, with shorter workouts than full body wind up being. Whenever I decide that I've done HST long enough, I may look at something like that.