LateAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Torn Biceps, what to do..

Hi, I'm David
    67 years old and have been working out at the local franchise gym here in Scottsdale for close to a year. Haven't grown at all, but I have gotten stronger. My right shoulder is bone on bone, but that doesn't stop me from getting a work out. I can do I's and Y's, just not T's.
    I can build rooms, but I have to hold my right arm up to change the radio in my truck. I don't want to be large, just super fit.

Now my left biceps has moved down my arm and gives a rather square appearance when flexed. I was told this AM by my doctor that I have torn the long head of my biceps.

I am going to concentrate on losing fat and doing cardio. This could be a good thing as I am 5'11" 195#. I'd like to get into the 32" waist pants I bought. Wearing 34" now.

Anyone been through a biceps tear? Did you end up getting surgery, or did it heal by itself? How long were you off lifting? I'm getting an MRI later this month for specifics. Any help would be great, feeling pretty sad about both arms being painful.

Thanks

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Proximal or distal tear? Full or partial?

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    Proximal or distal tear? Full or partial?
    Must me proximal, as distal seems to be the elbow point of attachment. I have already torn my biceps. My arm still functions and functions well.

Thanks.

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tore the long head in 2010. Opted not to get it repaired as I was finally pain free and did not want to go through anymore surgeries. I install office furniture and it hasn't hindered me.

Workouts are pretty much the same, with a slight decrease in strength and endurance in the left arm. Affects my pull-ups (neutral grip) especially weighted as the right tends to compensate when fatigue sets in.

Looks a little funny but most people don't notice unless you show them. For me the upside wasn't worth going through another procedure, but I wish would have gone in when i tore the RC back in 96. I never got it checked and worked through a lot of pain only to do more damage which resulted in the bicep tear.
    Handle every situation like a dog ....
    If you can't Eat it or Screw it ,
    Piss on it and Walk Away.

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LateAgain View Post
    Must me proximal, as distal seems to be the elbow point of attachment. I have already torn my biceps. My arm still functions and functions well.

Thanks.
    Long head is proximal

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks.
    I'd leave it alone then. It won't heal on its own but proximal is a brutal surgery due to everything up in the shoulder capsule.

Thanks Black Sunday. Yes, I was told it was the long head. How long did you give your arm to heal before resuming biceps work outs?
    And, since your biceps is now supported from a single point, has that been a concern?

Much obliged.

Thanks Black Sunday. Yes, I was told it was the long head. How long did you give your arm to heal before resuming biceps work outs?
    And, since your biceps is now supported from a single point, has that been a concern?

Much obliged.
    It doesn't heal. The tendon can't reattach itself. I was doing flies. Heard a crunch and it rolled up. Didn't miss any work and don't think I skipped any workouts, but it's been over six years so don't remember for sure. Might have waited till I checked with the doctor, figure a week or so. Complete tear so I can't tear it again.

Originally Posted by Black Sunday View Post
    It doesn't heal. The tendon can't reattach itself. I was doing flies. Heard a crunch and it rolled up. Didn't miss any work and don't think I skipped any workouts, but it's been over six years so don't remember for sure. Might have waited till I checked with the doctor, figure a week or so. Complete tear so I can't tear it again.

Amazing. Thanks, I feel better.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I tore a anchor out of mine so it's gone. My biggest problem was cramping but eventually it stopped, for the most part. I don't like it but it is what it is........

I'm in 48 and in construction, I use the hell out of it all day long, life goes on.

ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See about getting some physical therapy. My bicep strength returned in a couple of months, but I had pain in my shoulder especially on overhead movements. Finally got in for physical therapy, some stretches and deep massage to break up scar tissue, and am now pain free.

JimmyJonny: So the titanium stud they use on these failed? Sorry, man. You look fit in your avatar, so here's to your dedication....

ImBunky: Yeah, thanks. I think I'll pass on the idea of surgery for this issue. I have little or no pain in the area at this time. Maybe do an MRI, so I know what I'm dealing with.

Feeling a lot better, Thanks.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    JimmyJonny: So the titanium stud they use on these failed? Sorry, man. You look fit in your avatar, so here's to your dedication....

ImBunky: Yeah, thanks. I think I'll pass on the idea of surgery for this issue. I have little or no pain in the area at this time. Maybe do an MRI, so I know what I'm dealing with.

Feeling a lot better, Thanks.
    My anchors weren't titanium. I don't recall exactly what they were made of offhand. I think holes are drilled then the tendon is pegged into the hole. I'm thinking the pegs dissolve as the tendon bonds into the bone ? I'll have to look into that more...... I do know the anchor is gone and nobody took it out of me though, lol.

I appreciate the complement

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had a distral rupture 15 years ago. The ortho advised against surgery as the potential for nerve damage was too great. new technology has improved though. If you don't do the surgery fairly quickly it becomes a non option.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi, I'm David
    67 years old and have been working out at the local franchise gym here in Scottsdale for close to a year. Haven't grown at all, but I have gotten stronger. My right shoulder is bone on bone, but that doesn't stop me from getting a work out. I can do I's and Y's, just not T's.
    I can build rooms, but I have to hold my right arm up to change the radio in my truck. I don't want to be large, just super fit.

Now my left biceps has moved down my arm and gives a rather square appearance when flexed. I was told this AM by my doctor that I have torn the long head of my biceps.

I am going to concentrate on losing fat and doing cardio. This could be a good thing as I am 5'11" 195#. I'd like to get into the 32" waist pants I bought. Wearing 34" now.

Anyone been through a biceps tear? Did you end up getting surgery, or did it heal by itself? How long were you off lifting? I'm getting an MRI later this month for specifics. Any help would be great, feeling pretty sad about both arms being painful.

Thanks
    Find a surgeon who will re-attach (fuse) it to your upper arm bone. Mine was not completely torn but was chronically very painful so the doc cut the tendon clean and fused it to my upper arm. You wouldn't know when flexing as he did a very good job on placement but it is about 5 to 10 % weaker. It's my left arm though so it was weaker anyway. Getting rid of the pain and having a normal looking bicep was worth it to me.
    Well meaning, elderly man with a poor memory...pause