theconjuring88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theconjuring88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

eating salmon skin?

Is it safe to eat salmon skin? I always cook mine from frozen (wild caught pacific) in the oven with the skin down, so it peels off easily after its done. Also ive wondered if theres any EFA's in/or have dripped down into the skin since I cook them this way?

thanks.
    Never trust a fat chef when your trying to lose weight.

wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, of course it's safe to eat it .
    And, i always tot it was the best part of the fish, oven broil/grill it skin side up, till crisp...MMMmmm, i even eat the bones...

Anyway, i believe tht it does contain certain amounts of the good fats, since below the layer of the skin is a fatty layer...

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Wink I guess u can eat it if u want . . .

The salmon's fat is in a layer just under the skin, so after you cook it, the skin is going to be soaked with EFA's including omega-3's which are abundant in salmon.

Just remember, whatever mercury & PCB's are present will also be also concentrated in the fat, so eating a lot of salmon skin probably isn't a good idea.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedOnDaHead will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wuzzo87 View Post
    And, i always tot it was the best part of the fish, oven broil/grill it skin side up, till crisp...MMMmmm, i even eat the bones...

Anyway, i believe tht it does contain certain amounts of the good fats, since below the layer of the skin is a fatty layer...
    Ditto. Crispy salmon skin is the s**t.
    Be fit for more than the thing you are now doing. Let everyone know that you have a reserve in yourself; that you have more power than you are now using. If you are not too large for the place you occupy, you are too small for it.
    James A. Garfield (1831 - 1881)

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skinnyboipgh View Post
    The salmon's fat is in a layer just under the skin, so after you cook it, the skin is going to be soaked with EFA's including omega-3's which are abundant in salmon.

Just remember, whatever mercury & PCB's are present will also be also concentrated in the fat, so eating a lot of salmon skin probably isn't a good idea.
    Good point. Makes a lot of sense... Glad I always eat the skin... I dont care much about mercury or PCB from farm raised salmon... I do want the omegas...
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

colubrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) colubrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skinnyboipgh View Post

If what I have read is correct mercury is water soluble and found only in the protein parts (meat) of the fish and not in the fat.
    6'2"
    07/23/05 305LBS UK% BF (Quit drinking, started eating healthy and exercising)
    03/23/06 221LBS 27% BF
    06/14/06 205LBS 24% BF
    07/06/06 200LBS 23% BF
    08/06/06 200LBS 24% BF
    08/18/06 196LBS 21% BF

imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) imectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by reefpicker View Post
    Good point. Makes a lot of sense... Glad I always eat the skin... I dont care much about mercury or PCB from farm raised salmon... I do want the omegas...
    I dont get your point dude. Skinnyboi was quoted saying- eating a lot of salmon skin probably isn't a good idea.

And for skiinyboi I know about the mercury stuff but can you prove me a link wherein eating fish skin is also bad too?

jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by colubrid View Post
    If what I have read is correct mercury is water soluble and found only in the protein parts (meat) of the fish and not in the fat.
    source?

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i dont know about the mercury content, but i read somewhere that the PCB content is much higher in farm raised salmon than wild salmon (this type is usually used in canned salmon).

baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by colubrid View Post
    mercury is water soluble.
    Not even close.

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation Here's an article from US/EPA . . .

Originally Posted by imectomorph View Post
    I dont get your point dude. Skinnyboi was quoted saying- eating a lot of salmon skin probably isn't a good idea.

And for skiinyboi I know about the mercury stuff but can you prove me a link wherein eating fish skin is also bad too?
    imectororph,

Check this out (see 2nd page 4 fish cooking recommendations):

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fish/fisheng.pdf

If u read what I said carefully, I said the problem is mainly the fat, which is where the pollutants like mercury, PCB's, etc. r most concentrated, and b/c the skin is right next 2 it. This means the skin will b contaminated when u cook it.

That's why EPA recommends removing skin & fat from ur fish b4 cooking. The dark fatty meat along the center of the sides & next 2 the backbone should also b removed & discarded.

Of course the amount of pollutants in any given salmon depends on where it was caught, but it still pays 2 take sensible precautions IMO if u eat a lot of salmon, as I do.

It also makes sense 2 select smaller fish, b/c they r younger & have had less time 2 build up pollutants from the environment.

That said, I still love salmon skin and I do eat some occasionally if its from smallish wild-caught fish.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    any idea on the nutritional breakdown on the skin of salmon? skin alone, fish no skin, or fish and skin??

ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ItTakesTime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very high in nutrients, it is one of my favorite parts of the fish. I forget exactly what minerals it holds specifically but it is slightly different from the actual meat, they are all good and it is absolutely fine to eat! Hope that helped.
    "You only get out of something, what you put into it."

AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in regards to the nutritional value, I checked nutritiondata and fitday but no luck for skin....when they list the salmon is it w/skin or w/o?

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by imectomorph View Post

He reminded us that Omega-3s are on the skin. He also mentioned PCBs and mercury. I acknowledge the danger but said that I didnt care and that I eat the skin.... which is good b/c it has omega-3s. got it now?
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

ByBirdie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

From the EPA Fish Advisories Page

This may be of some guidance about salmon in general at least :

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna.

Preceeding this the EPA advised in preparing ANY fish to remove skin and dark fat before cooking.

ByBirdie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Additional Information about Preparing/Eating Fish from EPA

Preceeding the "3 steps to take in eating or not eating fish" the EPA advised in preparing ANY fish to remove skin and dark fat before cooking.

So - where does THAT leave us ?

Seems they are saying that the skin DOES contain at least elevated levels of mercury - and maybe other things - in comparison to the rest -

However - no indication of how much and/or if it is a risk and how much of a risk if you want to eat the skin !!

My guess : Since SALMON is mentioned as being among the least contaminated - it seems the skin would be likewise and PROBABLY OK TO EAT.

If someone can find anything more definitive please email me at

ewally@verizon.net

Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wuzzo87 View Post

wtf, the bones? I know this post is old, but for anyone reading this... don't eat salmon bones. They can rarely cause serious and even life-threatening problems if they become impacted in your throat or your intestines.

Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000) Fidelis is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ByBirdie View Post
    This may be of some guidance about salmon in general at least :

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna.

Preceeding this the EPA advised in preparing ANY fish to remove skin and dark fat before cooking.
    lol did you register just to post this and bump a year-old thread?

Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Farm raised Salmon is going to have the most PCB's and Mercury, much higher then wild caught due to their feed. Just a thought.

babaganoush83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think that because most of us don't eat or plan on eating Salmon more than once or twice per week, go ahead and eat the skin. It's tasty, and will satisfy you. I think you would have to eat a gross amount of Salmon for any mercury or any other contaminents to have an impact on your health.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.