Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mtnliones5 View Post
    I agree I would wear one for Halloween and definitely for the Renaissance Festival but to work out in? How are you supposed to breathe correctly or move correctly?? All that crap does is train your body to have a weak core.
    Exactly. Which is why I refuse to follow anyone who plugs that kind of chit to people who don't know any better.
    I don't think it's a muscle weakness as much as a mind weakness. I just get scared under the bar with no spotter and I think that is what is holding me back. Plus I think I need to change up my workouts I've been on this high rep chit for awhile now.
    Oh, well yeah, that'll do it. lol. I have the same problem with squats. I want to get safeties (sawhorses to use as safeties) so at least I know if I fail I'm failing saer than I do now.
    I have been working with high rep ranges for awhile now so I think it would be advantageous to switch to a 5x5 program. I'm probably going to start the new program next week.
    Yay! After trying the modified PHUL I was doing I started really liking having lower volume heavier weight days. I still like my volume for some stuff, but overall I like having a mix.
    My throat hurts, my head hurts and my nose intermittently starts running. It's probably because I haven't been getting enough sleep, I am stressed out working in a department I am not familiar with and left there for hours by myself and it gets so busy I can't even take a lunch break. No one really seems to care either when I bring it up to management.
    I'm sorry. It's a rough time of year to avoid getting sick as it is. I hope you feel better soon, and hopefully your job gets chit straightened out so you have more consistent/manageable hours.
    I hit a rep PR on incline bench on Saturday 8 reps @ 85 lbs.
    Congrats!
    During my squats I have noticed I seem to be shifting a bit to one side and favoring one leg coming out of the hole. This video https://youtu.be/LnFyYuY2Sro gave me some ideas on how to fix that. A lot of it is mobility work and I'm also going to add one unilateral movement since I'm not sure if it's poor mobility on one side or a strength discrepancy.
    Yeah, Jay pointed that out to me last time I did squats at his place. I figure it's a strength thing though since it's my right side I lean toward. I already have some unilateral work in my routine, but when I'm trying to save time, or feel more tired a certain day it tends to be unilateral stuff that I toss aside. I gotta start plugging through it though. My mobility sucks too, but I'm working on that.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Oh, well yeah, that'll do it. lol. I have the same problem with squats. I want to get safeties (sawhorses to use as safeties) so at least I know if I fail I'm failing saer than I do now.
    I at least have them during squats but I have not come close to failing a squat other than just my form breaking down a bit but still being able to stand upright. I think I need to stop being afraid of failing because it keeps me from going for the bigger weights. Still if I do a rep and my knees cave in I consider that a fail. They have not been caving in since I started all the way over with the bar just that shifting thing now.

Yay! After trying the modified PHUL I was doing I started really liking having lower volume heavier weight days. I still like my volume for some stuff, but overall I like having a mix.
    I incorporated some 5x5 today and OMG I love it and I miss it soooo much!!

I'm sorry. It's a rough time of year to avoid getting sick as it is. I hope you feel better soon, and hopefully your job gets chit straightened out so you have more consistent/manageable hours.
    I really hope so and it's all because one guy quit but he gave a two week's notice so they had time to figure it out and they didn't. I'm supposed to be 12:30-9p shift but I have been working 6a-2:30p and everything in between.

Congrats!
    Thank you! It's really been too long since I've gotten a PR. First was the dieting then all the running but now I feel focused on getting better numbers.

Yeah, Jay pointed that out to me last time I did squats at his place. I figure it's a strength thing though since it's my right side I lean toward. I already have some unilateral work in my routine, but when I'm trying to save time, or feel more tired a certain day it tends to be unilateral stuff that I toss aside. I gotta start plugging through it though. My mobility sucks too, but I'm working on that.
    My right seems to be squatting up the majority of the weight. I knew my right leg was a bit stronger than my left but since doing split squats it seems to have evened out some. I noticed today when I was foam rolling after my workout that my IT band on my right side felt so tight and my adductor on my left side felt tight. It could be why I'm shifting to the right. To be honest I have not been foam rolling and I really need to start that again or stuff starts to get tight and muscles start pulling different ways and form gets crappy. Shame on me for not doing it though...but I did it today.
    Beast in training...

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Today's workout

I decided to start 5x5 on my flat bench press. I just want some quality reps and 5x5 makes that possible. I may be able to do 3x8 or 3x10 but the last couple reps kinda suck and if they suck it's kind of a waste of time. I picked the weight I can do a set of 10 and really focused on making the reps as pretty as possible and touching the bar all the way to my chest (I have a bad habit of stopping about an inch short). This is just a starting point and I plan on adding 5 lbs on next week. Once I can't add 5 lbs I will do an extra set and then maybe the following week increase the weight only on one or two sets. This is what I had to do on Stronglifts once I could no longer add 5 lbs every week.

Flat bb bench press
    95 x5
    95 x5
    95 x5
    95 x5
    95 x5

Lat pulldown
    90 x10
    90 x10
    90 x10

Leg Press
    300 x10
    300 x10
    300 x10

Db shoulder press
    27.5 x5
    27.5 x5
    27.5 x5
    27.5 x5
    27.5 x5

Glute/ham focused extension
    20 x18
    20 x18

Ab wheel rollout from knees
    x20
    x20
    x20

I decided to 5x5 the db shoulder press today because last time I got 27.5 lbs 3x8 that's 24 reps so 5x5 makes 25 reps so it was the perfect time to switch. Next week I will get my hands on those 30's again! yay! I'll start doing as many sets as possible with those. If I fail a rep then I will start the next set with 27.5. Sooo happy to be working with those puppies again! I also did all my sets on leg press with 300 lbs this time and got six more reps total on the extensions. I got two more reps on lat pulldowns from last week too.

With this new program I am going to be doing deadlifts again which I have not done in months. Since my squat is so weak I want to keep the leg press in my program but keep it high rep. I must also include split squats with higher reps as well, glute bridge and some bi and tri stuff. My main lifts are going to be Squat, Bench, Deads, Pulldowns, Rows, and OHP. That's pretty much all there is to Stronglifts (they have pullups instead of pulldowns but I can't do a pullup) but I also want to do some accessory lifts because I am not a beginner. My numbers suck but I have been training for awhile. I also want to decrease squatting from 3x a week to 2x a week because I can't really handle that frequency well. 2x a week is perfect for me.

Now I better get to gift wrapping before my boyfriend gets home! Than I can figure out the new program.
    Last edited by mtnliones5; 12-12-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Forgot about OHP!
    Beast in training...

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ooo new program and nice lifting. Great work. I should use the leg press again. It has been a while but I always did like that one.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    ooo new program and nice lifting. Great work. I should use the leg press again. It has been a while but I always did like that one.
    Thank you! I'm so happy and excited to start the new program and I am thrilled that I am bulking again and loving it!
    Beast in training...

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still if I do a rep and my knees cave in I consider that a fail. They have not been caving in since I started all the way over with the bar just that shifting thing now.
    I had a caving issue too, but once I figured out where I like my feet positioned I found it much easier to push out at the knees.
    I really hope so and it's all because one guy quit but he gave a two week's notice so they had time to figure it out and they didn't. I'm supposed to be 12:30-9p shift but I have been working 6a-2:30p and everything in between.
    Yeah, if he gave notice, there's no excuse. Two weeks is the norm because it's typically enough time for the employer to make a new hire, or rearrange staff accordingly.
    My right seems to be squatting up the majority of the weight. I knew my right leg was a bit stronger than my left but since doing split squats it seems to have evened out some. I noticed today when I was foam rolling after my workout that my IT band on my right side felt so tight and my adductor on my left side felt tight. It could be why I'm shifting to the right. To be honest I have not been foam rolling and I really need to start that again or stuff starts to get tight and muscles start pulling different ways and form gets crappy. Shame on me for not doing it though...but I did it today.
    I have trouble rolling certain things, like IT bands are a PITA. I managed to pull something in my inner thigh/hip area one time, lol. I think I just need to get used to it though. I can't use it at Jay's though, so at least I can stay consistent with Starting Stretching or general mobility. I just make sure I workout sooner so I know I won't be inclined to rush or skip anything.

Glad you like the 5x5s you did! Liking how your program sounds, I don't know how you went without deadlifts, they're the best. Squatting 3x a week is nuts, then again I wasn't the biggest squat fan. I like them more now that I do a heavy squat day, and fronts squat accessories. Anymore than that would be death. lol

Annnnd here's the new program!

This is loosely based of of Stronglifts 5x5. It's a 3x/ week ABA, BAB type of workout. I was squatting only once a week this has me alternating between 1x a week and 2x a week so I'm increasing the frequency just a bit.

Workout A
    squat 5x5
    bench 5x5
    row 5x5
    Leg press 3x10
    Tri pressdown 2 x8-10

Workout B
    OHP 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    BB glute bridge 3x 8-10
    BB split squat 2 x10-15
    Lat Pulldown 3x 10
    Bicep Curl 2 x 8-10

The major differences between Stronglifts and this program is one of the days I am replacing squat with glute bridge/split squat. I added a little accessory work with arms but kept all the bread n butter lifts as 5x5 with the exception of deadlift because those tire me out pretty quick doing multiple sets so I'll stick with one working set for now. When I get to the point where I can only pull singles and doubles I'll increase the sets.

I'm still not sure when I will begin this program. After going to the gym today I am starting to feel better. Hopefully this was just a little bug and will go away. I totally planned on crawling back into bed after the gym but another one of my boyfriend's presents came in the mail so I decided to get some gift wrapping done.

Now my friends cancelled plans for tonight so I am thinking me and my boyfriend might just go out on a date together just the two of us since I am feeling better.
    Beast in training...

I had a caving issue too, but once I figured out where I like my feet positioned I found it much easier to push out at the knees.
    Mine went away when I started all over again with the bar and worked on glute activation. I still do some reps on the abductor machine before squatting and it helps. I was doing a banded x walk and some single leg glute bridges which I will probably be doing again.

I have trouble rolling certain things, like IT bands are a PITA. I managed to pull something in my inner thigh/hip area one time, lol. I think I just need to get used to it though. I can't use it at Jay's though, so at least I can stay consistent with Starting Stretching or general mobility. I just make sure I workout sooner so I know I won't be inclined to rush or skip anything.
    Starting Stretching?? is that some kind of book with a program or stretching protocol like Starting Strength?? If so I need that book because I'm kind of clueless when it comes to stretching and I just don't like it in general but I know I need to do it. Same with the foam rolling no matter how much it hurts to roll my IT bands...it hurts for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Glad you like the 5x5s you did! Liking how your program sounds, I don't know how you went without deadlifts, they're the best. Squatting 3x a week is nuts, then again I wasn't the biggest squat fan. I like them more now that I do a heavy squat day, and fronts squat accessories. Anymore than that would be death. lol
    I went without deadlifts because honestly I'm still kind of afraid of them since I hurt my back doing them. I haven't hurt my back since because I think I set up the lift better. I set up with my hips high then kind of lower them into position and pull the bar into me at the same time before the bar even leaves the ground. I did start to notice around 160 lbs that I also pull to my right when I deadlift too. I push mostly with my right leg and my left leg just kind of goes through the motion.
    Beast in training...

Starting Stretching?? is that some kind of book with a program or stretching protocol like Starting Strength?? If so I need that book because I'm kind of clueless when it comes to stretching and I just don't like it in general but I know I need to do it. Same with the foam rolling no matter how much it hurts to roll my IT bands...it hurts for a reason.
    Someone on reddit made it. I like it because it's brief, but hits a bit of everything. There's also "Molding Mobility" for a more "advanced" routine. I like that I can write them down with brief descriptions so I always have them on hand too. Though I'm already starting to remember it. I add a few other stretches, like figure fours, because I love them.
    Link

I went without deadlifts because honestly I'm still kind of afraid of them since I hurt my back doing them. I haven't hurt my back since because I think I set up the lift better. I set up with my hips high then kind of lower them into position and pull the bar into me at the same time before the bar even leaves the ground. I did start to notice around 160 lbs that I also pull to my right when I deadlift too. I push mostly with my right leg and my left leg just kind of goes through the motion.
    I do a similar set up, but with sumo my hips are lower to start. I hurt my back once, but that was a matter of not learning form, hips too high, chest too low, rounded back, all the wrong things. I still struggled with them a little even after learning to set up better, and got occasional pain, but once I kept the cue in my head to keep my chest up the back issues pretty much went right out the window (outside of just needing to keep working on hip flexor mobility). Sumo in general is supposed to be easier on the back, so it may be a good one to start with until you feel more comfortable with conventional again.

Someone on reddit made it. I like it because it's brief, but hits a bit of everything. There's also "Molding Mobility" for a more "advanced" routine. I like that I can write them down with brief descriptions so I always have them on hand too. Though I'm already starting to remember it. I add a few other stretches, like figure fours, because I love them.
    Link
    Thanks!

I do a similar set up, but with sumo my hips are lower to start. I hurt my back once, but that was a matter of not learning form, hips too high, chest too low, rounded back, all the wrong things. I still struggled with them a little even after learning to set up better, and got occasional pain, but once I kept the cue in my head to keep my chest up the back issues pretty much went right out the window (outside of just needing to keep working on hip flexor mobility). Sumo in general is supposed to be easier on the back, so it may be a good one to start with until you feel more comfortable with conventional again.
    I tried to sumo deadlift and it just doesn't feel right to me. My legs just don't want to open up like that and if you are supposed to have most of your body behind the bar it feels like I'm going to fall backwards. But I have a feeling that if I were to get comfortable with the sumo deadlift it would probably be better suited to my proportions. My legs tend to kind of get in the way of conventional deadlifts. I think I may give the sumos another try especially because my gym has rubber plates. I don't think I could even crack 135 off the ground so having the rubber plates helps for that.
    Beast in training...

Wednesdays workout

Squat
    110 x5
    110 x5
    110 x5
    110 x5
    110 x5

Db arnold press
    22.5 x8
    22.5 x8
    22.5 x8

Tbar row
    65 x10
    65 x9
    65 x8

Machine fly
    60x8
    60x8
    60x8

Leg Ext
    55x12
    55x12
    55x12

bb curl
    50x9
    50x8

Tri Pushdown
    85 x12
    85 x12

Weight plate decline russian twist
    10 x20
    10 x20

I plan on doing my last workout of this routine today however it is currently 8 degrees outside right now so I'm going to wait until the temperature heats up a bit. I did ok with the squats and I'm pretty sure this is the first time that I have done 25 reps with this weight and 5x5 made it possible. So far I'm really liking the switch to 5x5 and 5 more lbs will go on the bar next week. My adductors are SO sore right noww!
    Beast in training...

I'm feeling restless waiting for the temperature to rise a bit before heading out to the gym and freezing my bum off. I went to try sumo at home again today. The good news is I easily lifted 135 but the bad news is my form is just bad bad bad. This was the best lift I did and it looks to me as though I'm still not behind the bar enough?? I don't know my shoulders look too far forward maybe. In the other attempts I shot it looked like my knees were too far forward causing the bar to come up over my knees then back towards my body so it was not moving in a straight line. It's so hard making the switch from conventional to sumo! Please help!!!!

Beast in training...

Talking

Yesterday's w/o

Incline bb bench press
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    90 x5 weight PR and for 5 reps!!!!

Cable row
    110 x10
    110 x10
    110 x10 weight PR too!

Bb split squat
    75 x12
    75 x12

Bb glute bridge
    170 x8
    170 x8
    170 x8
    170 x8

Db lat raise (held for 4 sec)
    10 x12
    10 x12
    10 x12

1 legged plank
    Left x 45 sec
    Right x 45 sec

Side plank
    Left x50 sec
    Right x50 sec

That was my first time ever using 90# for incline bench press the 85 felt a lot lighter so I figured I could manage 90 on the last set. That is also my first time doing 110 for cable rows to and I'm happy I managed 10 reps for all three sets!! I had a great workout yaaaas!!

Then I practiced sumo deadlifts some more. It seems like I have the most trouble getting the slack out of the bar...still haven't figured that out yet. Even after switching from bare feet to chucks. I need to figure this out!
    Beast in training...

I tried to sumo deadlift and it just doesn't feel right to me. My legs just don't want to open up like that and if you are supposed to have most of your body behind the bar it feels like I'm going to fall backwards.
    This was the best lift I did and it looks to me as though I'm still not behind the bar enough?? I don't know my shoulders look too far forward maybe.
    Yeah, I get that falling backward feeling sometimes too. A video I watched on it once said to pull your hips in towards the bar, and I find that that helps me set up better. I try to get my lower body set up first, feet planted, and hips pulled in, brace my upper body, pull the slack, make sure I'm still braced well, then pull. I think the hip cue helps get the hip drive "started" so to speak, and helps fight against that falling feeling.

Today's workout

First day of new workout routine

Squat
    bar x10
    95 x3 paused
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5
    115x5

BB bench press
    barx15
    65x3
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5

BOR
    85x5
    85x5
    85x5
    85x5
    85x5

Leg press
    230 x10
    230 x10
    230 x10

Tri pressdown
    85 x15
    85 x12

Decline Russian twist
    12.5 x20
    12.5 x20
    12.5 x20

I added 5 lbs onto the squat and it felt great. I decided to stick with 95 lbs on bench today because I'm so tired of missing reps because I stop 1/2 inch of my chest (not on every rep just sometimes). I want to make sure I fully touch my chest with each rep and I will continue to work on this until I get it right and feel as if I can move up in weight while still touching my chest.

My bench has been pretty stagnant (on flat bench) but I feel as though my form is getting better with the same weight. I am way more comfortable (as in form feels good and not all over the place) benching 95 than I have been in the past. I'm OK with not putting more weight on the bar for a bit to work on form because my squat really needs to improve and I have really been improving on it. I used to really struggle with 95 lbs on squat and now I can easily do paused squats with that weight for reps. It feels so light now! I really didn't feel as though I was struggling that hard with 115 today so I'll just continue adding on 5 lbs. I DID squat in chucks today instead of my normal squat shoes. I'm not sure if that made a difference or not but it felt good.

I have not done BOR in a really long time so I just picked kind of a light weight then I have room to move up. And the leg press numbers are low because I had to use a different machine and the sled is heavier. I waited forever for the one I have been using and some guy kept loading more and more plates onto it to do triples (on a leg press really?) and I just gave up and used the other one.

I added a rotational core exercise to this workout since I didn't have any core work. Workout B I added my planks.
    Beast in training...

Always good to work on form first, it'd suck to get to a certain weight, realize something was off, and have to go down again. Like me when I first started deadlifting. >.<

Congrats on the squat progress.

Man, I have to get consistent with doing some form of core work. I added it to my routine when I moved things around, and did remember to do it, until I didn't.... lol. Being consistent with stretching has been "meh" as well.

Always good to work on form first, it'd suck to get to a certain weight, realize something was off, and have to go down again. Like me when I first started deadlifting. >.<

Congrats on the squat progress.

Man, I have to get consistent with doing some form of core work. I added it to my routine when I moved things around, and did remember to do it, until I didn't.... lol. Being consistent with stretching has been "meh" as well.
    Thanks! I'm so glad I didn't give up on squats....even if I can't lift that much!

I have been consistent with core work but I confess I have not been consistent with stretching a foam rolling. I even have a foam roller in my house and you can stretch just about anywhere so I really don't have an excuse not to!
    Beast in training...

Yesterdays workout

Workout B

Db shoulder press
    30s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5
    27.5 x5

BB split squat
    80 x12
    80 x12

BB sumo DL
    115 x5
    115 x5
    115 x5

Lat Pulldown
    92.5 x10
    92.5 x10
    92.5 x10

BB Glute bridge
    180 x8
    180 x8
    180 x8
    180 x8

BB curl
    50 x10
    50 x8

1 legged Plank
    Right side x50 sec
    Left side x50 sec

Side Plank
    Right side x50 sec
    Left side x50 sec

Yes! 30 lb dumbbells again! I almost got all my sets done with them too but kind of ran out of steam at the end. I didn't really have trouble getting them up into place either. A good goal for next workout would be to finish all five sets with the 30 lbs and then after that microload to 31.25 lbs.

For deadlifts I decided to stick with three sets since I'm still learning how to pull sumo. I filmed myself and I seem to be better at getting the slack out of the bar by pulling my shoulder blades down but from the video it looks like I am too bent over and my shoulders are getting in front of the bar. I think I need to open up my hips more so I can get them closer to the bar which would make my torso a bit more upright and keep my shoulders over the bar. I'm so glad I filmed it otherwise I would probably think I was doing them correctly which I was not. I will pull sumo properly...someday.

The one thing I love about working this night shift (which just started yesterday) is that the powerlifting room at my gym is always empty in the morning so I can film myself in there without anyone getting in the way. I also can eat more food around my workout since I'm not leaving to go to the gym right from work.
    Beast in training...

Thanks! I'm so glad I didn't give up on squats....even if I can't lift that much!
    Squats are always worth doing... well, unless you're 1/4 reping it, then it's not worth doing. lol.
    I have been consistent with core work but I confess I have not been consistent with stretching a foam rolling. I even have a foam roller in my house and you can stretch just about anywhere so I really don't have an excuse not to!
    Yeah, I'm guilty of this too. I have no good excuse to not stretch more, and even if I stretch I don't always roll.
    Yes! 30 lb dumbbells again! I almost got all my sets done with them too but kind of ran out of steam at the end. I didn't really have trouble getting them up into place either. A good goal for next workout would be to finish all five sets with the 30 lbs and then after that microload to 31.25 lbs.
    Way to go!
    I will pull sumo properly...someday.
    It's an effort, but they're fun to do once you're used to it. At least you're able to film yourself, that helps a ton.
    The one thing I love about working this night shift (which just started yesterday) is that the powerlifting room at my gym is always empty in the morning so I can film myself in there without anyone getting in the way. I also can eat more food around my workout since I'm not leaving to go to the gym right from work.
    More food is always a plus.
    I know the whole anabolic window thing is nonsense, but I gotta eat after a workout. Usually right after I'm not hungry, but give it ten minutes, and I want to devour all the things.

X-mas eve workout

BB squat
    120 x5
    120 x5
    120 x5
    120 x5
    120 x5

BOR
    90 x5
    90 x5
    90 x5
    90 x5
    90 x5

BB bench press
    95 x5
    95 x5
    95 x5
    95 x4
    90 x5

Leg Press
    310 x10
    310 x10
    310 x10

Cable tri pressdown
    85 x15
    85 x13

Decline Russian twist
    15 x15
    15 x15
    15 x15

Bench press really went down the sh!tter for this workout. I don't know what my problem is! I know the bar that I normally use feels a little thinner and this bar felt a little thicker and I'm not sure if one is heavier than the other or what. But I really tanked on bench press.

I made up for it with squats and 120 felt pretty good so I'm good to go with 125 this week. I also do not like the way BOR feels. I set the safeties on the lowest setting and set the bar down on them between reps and this exercise feels like it's hurting my lower back more than it's working my upper back. My back is completely flat when I do them but I let the bar down kind of slow so I'm not slamming the weight down on the the safety pins and making a lot of noise and I think that's what is doing it. I might switch back to tbar rows instead of BOR.

I had a wonderful Christmas. I ate way too much the past three days and I think I might be on a slight deficit for a couple weeks just to reverse Christmas. I had Christmas dinner here at the house for 11 people and there is still so much leftover food. I got tons of candy in my stocking and there is a lot of non macro-friendly foods around now. I am so bloated right now I am not even sure if my pants will fit me! I'm a little sad that Christmas is over. I don't know if I even want to do anything for New Years at this point. I don't think I want to end up hungover on the first day of the year and I'm a little partied out right now. This time of year coming up is the worst--boring @ss winter! Can we just fast forward to mid-March please?
    Beast in training...

It took me some time to get the hang of BoRs. I was used to Pendlay rows so I was bent over further than I needed to be, then it was just a matter of being mindful of pulling from my lats more instead of my upper back/rear delts so much. Once I got the form down better, they started coming up easier.

I got way off track over the weekend, and a few days into the week... ok, I just got back on track like yesterday. No worries though, the break felt pretty good. I'm actually looking forward to New Years, I saw a FB post this morning that summed up my feelings perfectly: "I'm staying up until midnight this New Years so I can watch 2016 die."

It took me some time to get the hang of BoRs. I was used to Pendlay rows so I was bent over further than I needed to be, then it was just a matter of being mindful of pulling from my lats more instead of my upper back/rear delts so much. Once I got the form down better, they started coming up easier.

I got way off track over the weekend, and a few days into the week... ok, I just got back on track like yesterday. No worries though, the break felt pretty good. I'm actually looking forward to New Years, I saw a FB post this morning that summed up my feelings perfectly: "I'm staying up until midnight this New Years so I can watch 2016 die."
    We have these square rubber risers at my gym so maybe I'll put some of those down on the floor to raise the bar height. That way I wont be putting the weight down on the safety pins and making a lot of noise. I think the problem is having the bar in the air longer than necessary in order to not make as much noise. Or I could just use the rubber plates and pull it from the floor and I'm wondering while I'm typing this why I haven't thought of that before!

I would love to watch 2016 die. We lost too many great people-- my grandpa included.
    Last edited by mtnliones5; 12-29-2016 at 06:45 AM.
    Beast in training...

Yesterday's workout

Db shoulder press
    30s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5

BB glute bridge
    185 x8
    185 x8
    185 x8
    185 x8

BB sumo dl
    115 x5
    115 x5
    115 x5

Lat pulldown
    95 x10
    95 x10
    95 x10 might be a PR?

BB curl
    50 x10
    50 x9

BB split squat
    80 x15
    80 x15

1 legged plank
    Right side x55 sec
    Left side x55 sec

Side plank
    Right side x55
    Left side x55

Here's a video of one of the deadlift sets:

This is my gritty gym! I love it so much especially since not many people are in the powerlifting room in the morning so I get it all to myself. That is a monorail in the background...I don't even know how to use it!

I think my form is getting better but I'm not too sure. One thing I'm unsure of is my shoulder positioning. I'm not sure if my shoulders are still too far in front of the bar or not. I found that if I raise my hips, lower my hips to the correct position and then drive my knees/shins into the bar while pulling my shoulder blades back it helps with the start of the pull.
    Beast in training...

We have these square rubber risers at my gym so maybe I'll put some of those down on the floor to raise the bar height. That way I wont be putting the weight down on the safety pins and making a lot of noise. I think the problem is having the bar in the air longer than necessary in order to not make as much noise. Or I could just use the rubber plates and pull it from the floor and I'm wondering while I'm typing this why I haven't thought of that before!
    Make all the noise!
    But yeah, rows are best when explosive, imo. Trying to be careful takes away from the back involvement I think.
    I would love to watch 2016 die. We lost too many great people-- my grandpa included.
    I'm sorry. I lost a friend of mine this year, and between the people we know, and the ones we admire it just seems like 2016 is one big loss.

I'm past the point of usefulness on form critique, lol. I think I do the same thing with my shoulders. I'm just not comfortable sitting back any further, and I feel like if I did I'd move back to my normal position once I started the lift.

Make all the noise!
    The louder the noise you make the wider your lats will grow!
    Beast in training...

I can't believe this is happening to me all over again. I am sick again. It started with just some congestion at nighttime and I had trouble sleeping because I kept having to mouth breathe and my mouth would dry out so I would wake up. Now the congestion was all day yesterday and today as well. My head hurts so bad and I am blowing through so much tissue.

As soon as I start getting PRs again this has to happen and I have to have another set back. I'm so upset this happened again! I don't have time to be sick!!!
    Beast in training...

Hallelujah! The sickness is finally going away! I can finally breathe out of both of my nostrils now. It feels so good to be alive!

I will have only missed one workout. No biggie.

Can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow!

This year I learned that lifting is my sport. I tried the running thing and it just didn't stick. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea and I guess I just wanted to try something new. I was honestly tired of saying things like, "when I have enough money to compete." The race was $30 and nothing I had to save up for and anyone can do it. In the end I didn't follow through with it because it truly wasn't what I wanted to do. This year I feel like I need to have a focus and that focus is going to be to continue slow bulking with maintenance breaks if needed (no cutting until 2018!). I want to get stronger and that is my ultimate goal. I am tired of having goals that conflict and I'm tired of being afraid of getting fat. This year is about adding muscle and strength! Since I have been eating more I have been gaining strength so I feel like this is what my body needs and wants. Now that I'm finally finding my groove with squats and seem to enjoy sumo deadlifting I think I can finally increase my numbers.

I remember last year I vowed 2016 was going to be the year of the sumo deadlift and I was going to learn how to do them but with the job hunting situation last year I never got that off the ground.

So here's to 2017 the year of the sumo deads! lol And maybe a new job too!

Happy New Year everyone!
    Last edited by mtnliones5; 12-31-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I had so much stuff to blab about!
    Beast in training...

inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) inkedcat9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I totally understand. Running is what I naturally excel at, especially distance running but I've had to cut back on it due to my lifting goals. Once in awhile I still "treat" myself to a 13 mile run.

Cardio isn't BAD. Cardio is very, very good. It just doesn't always support the goals people have especially when used in excess.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body." -Dad

Originally Posted by inkedcat9 View Post
    I totally understand. Running is what I naturally excel at, especially distance running but I've had to cut back on it due to my lifting goals. Once in awhile I still "treat" myself to a 13 mile run.

Cardio isn't BAD. Cardio is very, very good. It just doesn't always support the goals people have especially when used in excess.
    It's certainly not bad at all. It's a good tool for fat loss. I could never run 13 miles lol. That would not be a treat for me and I feel like I don't really excel at endurance sports. 5k was enough! Right now I'm saving the cardio for when I have to cut again which won't be for awhile. I am all about the gainz right now! I have a strenuous job and sometimes I get in 12k+ steps a day just at work so adding in any cardio for me with the goals I have would be counterproductive.
    Beast in training...

Happy New Year!

Todays workout

Squat

bar x12
    95 x3 paused

125 x5 sloppy AF
    125 x5 last rep a grinder
    120 x5 getting worse now with less weight lol
    120 x5 meh
    115 x5 fudge it

BB bench press

bar x12
    65 x8

85 x5 perfect
    90 x5 perfect but elbow wobbles
    90 x5 same
    90 x5 same
    90 x5 same

Pendlay Row
    80 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5

Leg press
    310 x10
    310 x10
    310 x10

Weighted decline russian twist (bigger ROM and slower reps)
    10x10
    10x10
    10x10

Rope cable tri pushdown
    85 x15
    85 x15

As you can tell I struggled hard with squats. I think it might be because I have been sick and I have been laying in bed for three straight days so my legs feel like old dry rubber bands. I can tell on my warmup sets that my squats look different-- my knees are pushed outward and stay outward. I'm wondering if the weight right now is just too heavy or I was just having a bad day. I felt more leaned forward and like I was lifting more with my back. I can squat 95 lbs perfectly and paused too so I'm wondering if I should start back over with 100-105 lbs?? I mean there's no point in working with a higher weight if I can't do it right. I don't care about weight as much as I care about form and not getting injured.

I backed off a bit on bench today although maybe I could have been fine where I was. It was my first day back from being sick so I didn't want to make the same mistake I did with squats. Everything is fine and I'm touching my chest but my elbows wobble/shake a bit right off my chest. These were all good solid reps.

I worked with the rubber plates and decided to do pendlay rows and be explosive and quick off the ground. I am not sure what the difference is between BOR and pendlay other than pendlay you are more explosive off the ground I think.

This was not the best workout but I'm still not 100% yet.
    Beast in training...