NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

why not spread workouts over more days, instead of off-days

You know those programs that have you squatting and deadlifting stupid volume on the same day, followed by an off-day... why not just spread it out and dont have the off day. You could probably put more effort into each individual session. SOmetimes after working the whole day and knowing I have a crazy workout coming up, its daunting and can burn me out just thinking about it, so why not.

Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Because some people don't want to go to the gym every day and others feel too beat up after a session to do higher frequency, even if the volume is similar.
    374/176/429 @174 - 04/02/16
    413w/198/435 @164 - 10/29/16

NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Trolltongue View Post
    others feel too beat up after a session to do higher frequency, even if the volume is similar.
    even if its a different lift? I'm not saying split a squat session over 2 days. I'm saying instead of squat and DL on the same day, move one of them to the off day. If people don't like going to the gym every day that's fine, I was looking for more results-based answers to the 'why not' question anyway, rather than personal preference answers. As that's a totally individual thing.

Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NotThatUgly View Post
    even if its a different lift? I'm not saying split a squat session over 2 days. I'm saying instead of squat and DL on the same day, move one of them to the off day. If people don't like going to the gym every day that's fine, I was looking for more results-based answers to the 'why not' question anyway, rather than personal preference answers. As that's a totally individual thing.
    And all programs are written by individuals, most of the time for individuals, based on individual beliefs and experiences.

There is no reason you can't split your training sessions up and you can find a lot of programs out there that have you training 5-7 times/week with a lot lower volume per session than many others, it depends completely on how you structure your training.

If you do something like Sheiko's 3x/wk programs that have a Squat/Bench, Bench/Deadlift and Squat/Bench day you could absolutely shift your benches by one day so you'd be doing like s/b/d/b/s/b/off, but for some programs that's just not possible, you'll run into conflicts and recovery issues and what have you.
    374/176/429 @174 - 04/02/16
    413w/198/435 @164 - 10/29/16

hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hamzatm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Taking a full day off has significant recovery advantages, and days off also psychologically help prevent you getting bored of the gym. Going to the gym more often, even if it's for easier workouts, can be mentally tiring in the long run. Even taking a weekend off can make you miss the gym and really look forward to Monday's workout again, also it can resensitize you to the stimulus.

Of course everyone is individual. If you find the easier more frequent workouts as less daunting then by all means go for it!

jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jhouser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You could do this, of course. You could do anything you wanted with your training and the only things that determine if what you're doing is right or wrong are a) if you're getting stronger, and b) if you're staying healthy and injury-free.
    EAS Myoplex® Representative

► ********.com/easbrand/
    ► twitter.com/easbrand
    ► instagram.com/easbrand/

YOU’RE IN A CONSTANT STATE OF BECOMING SOMETHING BETTER, SOMETHING MORE.

SO ARE WE. | Products will that take you from keeping up to moving past.

I am not a medical professional and my posts do not constitute medical advice. Please consult your qualified health care provider before using any dietary supplement. Use EAS products only as directed.

ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I workout four days a week. As others have stated, the reason is that I can go really hard during those workouts and get a mental and physical break the other three days. I've done the workout with less volume over 6 days and I get bored of the gym and constantly feel sore.

Now on my off days I relax, might get a swim in or a walk, but I let my body recover fully. Of course this is just my preference. As the above poster said, if it works for you, keep at it.
    1st Meet Results: May 14, 2016
    Bodyweight: 199.3 lbs
    259/187.4/330.7 Total: 777.1 lbs

2nd Meet Results: October 15, 2016
    Bodyweight: 178.6 lbs
    297.6/198.4/352.7 Total: 848.7 lbs

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I feel that rest days are extremely important in giving your connective tissues time to regenerate between workouts. I think it is more beneficial to put more volume into the one day and then have a day of recovery for those tendons and joints, versus splitting it into two days and not giving the tissues a full day off to recover.
    Weighted pullups = 195 lbs x1
    Weighted dips = 225 lbs x2
    Squat = 405 x2

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are basically talking about the Norwegian Frequency Project. Same volume spread out over more training days led to more gains.

1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i Would never be able to gain strength on a high frequency program, my joints hurt and my mind would be really fatigues.

2 days per week heavy and hard is plenty for me and for tons of people who want to get really strong

Josh
    Stronglifts 5x5 in progress

snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000) snarfbot is just really nice. (+1000)
    ive been splitting my workouts into compounds in the morning and isolations in the evening for the last few months.

it feels good, bust the workouts out quick, never really get too tired and i feel like im building good muscle.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by iliketojuggle View Post
    I feel that rest days are extremely important in giving your connective tissues time to regenerate between workouts.
    Connective Tissue

One of the problems with generating recovery in connective tissue from injuries and training has to do with low blood flow circulation.

Two of the jobs of circulation is to delivery nutrient to tissue and "Take out the garbage".

Passive Recovery

...define as doing nothing on you off days, does nothing for increasing circulation.

Active Recover

...define as performing some active that increases blood flow to tissue.

Active Recovery has been shown to be more effective than Passive Recovery.

Active Recovery involves light, easy exercise. The sole purpose geared toward increasing circulation to muscles and connective tissue.

Exercise Example

1) Shooting hoops for fun.

2) Easy bike ride.

etc.

I think it is more beneficial to put more volume into the one day
    High Volume Days

There are inherent problems with high volume days.

1) "Wound Healing": This simply state the obvious. The greater the trauma to the body/muscle/tissue, the longer time the body need to recover.

Thus, with this method, INFREQUENT Training is mandatory.

2) Exercise Training Order: Exercise preformed first in a program receive the optimal amount of training.

Exercise preformed at the end of a training program, receive the least amount of stimulation.

...and then have a day of recovery for those tendons and joints, versus splitting it into two days and not giving the tissues a full day off to recover.
    Blood Flow for Tendon/Joint Recovery

Maximize tendon/joint recovery, begins with increasing blood flow.

Thus, Active Recover supersedes Passive Recovery, doing nothing.

Alternative

For those who chose Passive Recovery, a step down alternative to increasing blood flow is..

1) Heat: Soaking in fairly warm water or a heating pad applied to the area.

2) Ice-Heat: Ice shuts down blood flow to the area. It "Dams up" blood flow.

Heat increase blood flow to the area.

Thus, what occurs when ice is applied followed by heat is a surge in blood flow to the area.

The "Dammed up" blood is release to the area, flooding the area...which increases recovery.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by gettinhench View Post
    i Would never be able to gain strength on a high frequency program,
    Not So

The Norwegian Frequency Project (post by Arian) demonstrated that it work.

The Bulgarians use high frequency training methods and dominated Olympic Lifting for about two decades.

So, why would it basically work for everyone but you?

"...my joints hurt and my mind would be really fatigues.
    Joints

Training heavy with more frequency would definitely create some joint issues.

The Norwegian Frequency Project DECREASED the intensity while increasing the frequency and gained strength.

Muscle Protein Sythesis

Research has demonstrated that one of the keys to hypertrophy and strength is increasing Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Exercise increase Muscle Protein Synthesis. Thus, more frequent training session increase muscle mass and strength, providing a program is written properly.

2 days per week heavy and hard is plenty for me and for tons of people who want to get really strong.

Josh
    Heavy Training Works

...but at a cost.

The body simply cannot take constant heavy training.

"All Work and No Play..."

The biggest challenge to high frequency training is mental burn out.

As Albert Beckles (Bodybuiler) stated, "You freak your mind out."

With that in mind, some form of Active Recovery that combines a social element works best.

This take us back to shooting hoops with your friends, going for an easy bike ride or walk, taking your girl/boy friend dancing, etc. works.

It remind me of what my son once told me, "I don't exercise". However, he bikes, roller skates and is into swing dancing and has a resting heart rate of around 62.

It not exercise to him, it doing something fun.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.