happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to get lean mass: oats or rice flakes for morning?

Hello,
    I have tried searching for this topic and i have found that the main advantage of the oats are the fact that they contain less sugar and they are complex vs the rice flakes.
    I got a box of rice flakes which contain 89g of carbs per 100g and only 8g of sugar out of this, less fat than the oats too.

I am trying to get lean mass, but being an ectomorph ( or i was when i was younger ) its hard to eat as many calories to maintain my weight.
    I am 200lb and 6'3 and i lift 3-4 times a week.

In the morning i am trying to eat 15g of flax seeds + 15g of pumpkin seeds for my fat and fiber intake at that meal, but the problem is i cant eat the same amount of oats vs rice flakes to get in my macros.
    Its a lot easier to eat the rice cereal! I also add some cranberries to the mix to fill in the carbs number for my macros, but i ve tried eating oats so that i can get the full carb intake at this meal, but it takes me ( not kidding ) 1-1.5 hours to eat it.

What should i do here?

jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the leanness of the mass isn't about what you eat

there is no such thing as ectomorph

try to eat minimally processed foods
    http://instagram.com/koksalcanberk

happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for a quick reply!
    Thing is how do i know how much processed it is and if i should care in the big picture? Because i need the macros to feet in the whole day and if i put oats in this meal then i spend too much time and its too hard to eat it ( i would need around 140g of oats to match the rice flakes )
    My worst meal is in the morning since i wake up up with no appetite, but towards the end of the day i eat less and less carbs. ( usually my last meal is a salad with a lot of greens and spinach and stuff + tuna/egg/cheese )

My biggest carb meal is in the morning.

jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jnbrk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    always choose the foods you enjoy, this way you will have a much more flexible diet, so it's much easier to keep up with it; also it does not make a difference which food you choose.

moreover, there are MUCH MORE important things than meal timing. I would make the order of importance such as:
    Caloric intake - macros - micros - meal timing - supplements

so it's good that you care about the meal timing, but it has a relatively small effect.

meats, veggies, fruits etc are minimally processed generally. you can roughly say that if a food has nutritional label on it it's processed. this is about micros, 3rd order of importance.

edit: you may want to skip breakfast if you also take care of meal timing. having your meals in 8 hours, and fasting for 16 hours is more beneficial (even though it is not very supported here in this site), also this is more consistent to count. you also may not skip breakfast and stop eating earlier in the day, but many people can resist hunger in the morning easier, and prefer going to bed with full stomach.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jnbrk View Post
    edit: you may want to skip breakfast if you also take care of meal timing. having your meals in 8 hours, and fasting for 16 hours is more beneficial (even though it is not very supported here in this site), also this is more consistent to count. you also may not skip breakfast and stop eating earlier in the day, but many people can resist hunger in the morning easier, and prefer going to bed with full stomach.
    IF is not really supported as better, because it is not; it is sub-optimal for muscle protein synthesis.

Protein Timing
    Meal Timing 1
    Meal Timing 2
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Registered sex offender DoULikeDaggers's Avatar
    DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000) DoULikeDaggers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aware!

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    IF is not really supported as better, because it is not; it is sub-optimal for muscle protein synthesis.

Protein Timing
    Meal Timing 1
    Meal Timing 2
    martin berkhan disagrees and proves it.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/03/int...ight-loss.html

there are also other great articles on leangains.com but im too lazy to find

it worked for me better too, OP. Definitely seeing difference when I restricted my caloric intake to 8-9 hours

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

it worked for me better too, OP. Definitely seeing difference when I restricted my caloric intake to 8-9 hours
    The links I gave prove that it is inferior for MPS, and come from a source that is not trying to sell you on an idea.

IF is fine if you like it, but it is not optimal.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Here's an updated article of his on intermittent fasting where the general conclusion I draw is that it is not really better: http://www.leangains.com/search?upda...&max-results=1

Thank you all for the input!
    I have some experience with fasting in the morning and i have found that it makes my metabolism slower and when i do start eating in the other half of the day, i will have to eat very big meals, get full stomach, not sleep well and feel bad overall. Thanks for the input, but i will try the one meal every3-4 hours approach as long as i get my macros at the end of the day.

So overall, i should keep eating the rice flakes? Cause macro wise, they SEEM better and easier to fit in the meal vs oats. ( less fat, only 0.x more sugar per carb ratio and much more easier to eat )

MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MitkoKazakov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by happymatei View Post
    Hello,
    I have tried searching for this topic and i have found that the main advantage of the oats are the fact that they contain less sugar and they are complex vs the rice flakes.
    I got a box of rice flakes which contain 89g of carbs per 100g and only 8g of sugar out of this, less fat than the oats too.

I am trying to get lean mass, but being an ectomorph ( or i was when i was younger ) its hard to eat as many calories to maintain my weight.
    I am 200lb and 6'3 and i lift 3-4 times a week.

In the morning i am trying to eat 15g of flax seeds + 15g of pumpkin seeds for my fat and fiber intake at that meal, but the problem is i cant eat the same amount of oats vs rice flakes to get in my macros.
    Its a lot easier to eat the rice cereal! I also add some cranberries to the mix to fill in the carbs number for my macros, but i ve tried eating oats so that i can get the full carb intake at this meal, but it takes me ( not kidding ) 1-1.5 hours to eat it.

What should i do here?
    If it takes you an hour and a half to eat the oats then the choice is obvious, haha

-Mitko
    Hey, my name is Mitko Kazakov (aka The Fitness Consistency Coach). I specialize in helping people stay consistent with proper training & nutrition practices in order to develop a phenomenal physique over at MitkoKazakov.com

Thank you all for the input!
    I have some experience with fasting in the morning and i have found that it makes my metabolism slower and when i do start eating in the other half of the day, i will have to eat very big meals, get full stomach, not sleep well and feel bad overall. Thanks for the input, but i will try the one meal every3-4 hours approach as long as i get my macros at the end of the day.

So overall, i should keep eating the rice flakes? Cause macro wise, they SEEM better and easier to fit in the meal vs oats. ( less fat, only 0.x more sugar per carb ratio and much more easier to eat )
    Eat whichever you like.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for a quick reply!
    Thing is how do i know how much processed it is and if i should care in the big picture?
    if it comes in a box with brandname , and has more than 1-2 ingredients in it , its processed