splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is there any point to care about abs if you are a beginner?

Since I am a beginner (been working out for 3 months) and still have belly fat is there any point in bothering with any ab work at this time? Or should I just focus on other more important things and start thinking about abs once I have gotten leaner?

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For hip health and posture.

YES.

Need to balance lower back with abs n hams. To avoid/fix apt ect.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You should always work your abs. It's not just for appearance.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    You should always work your abs. It's not just for appearance.
    This.

How about having a strong core helps you lift more and be stable during your lifts?

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by splattenburgers View Post
    Since I am a beginner (been working out for 3 months) and still have belly fat is there any point in bothering with any ab work at this time? Or should I just focus on other more important things and start thinking about abs once I have gotten leaner?
    hows abs different than other muscles you are working when you are fat

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    For hip health and posture.

YES.

Need to balance lower back with abs n hams. To avoid/fix apt ect.
    This man knows
    Experience, not just theory

LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LimpDawg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Respect from men= fk abs
    Respect from women = abs
    Respect from both=time & dedication

3 paths to choose, op. Most pick 1 or 2 while a few make it to 3. Unfortunately i chose 2...

CGunn03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As a beginner you should actually care a lot about hitting your abs and strengthening your core. The reason for this is simple. Your core needs to be strong if you're going to be lifting heavy. Or lifting in general. If you start lifting heavy and have a weak core you start to risk bad posture and injury. And no one wants that. Just remember no muscle is more important than the other when it comes to building. You want to be proportionate when you're building muscle.

Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It depends, are you talking about dynamic ab training (crunches, sit-ups and other spine flexing exercises) or isometric (planks, roll-outs, leg raise to hip level etc)? If it's the first, then no, after what Stuart Mcgill's research has shown i wouldn't recommend anyone that values their spine health to perform much, if any, dynamic ab training, or atleast not crunches and sit-ups.
    If it's the latter, then yes, you should definatelly do isometric ab exercises, not only for hypertrophy, but for a stronger core, better posture and to avoid muscle imbalances.

deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are talking about visibly being able to see your abs -- no. Unless you are a model, or you are just at a point where you can see your abs at the point you're at, don't worry about what they look like. Not sure about you, but I have a shirt on 99.99% of the time. Obviously some people's mileage varies. Age, recreational activities that you participate in (maybe you play beach volleyball a lot and care, etc etc), marital status (lol), teams you belong to (maybe you participate in an activity where every pound matters), are all going to affect whether someone cares or not. Personally, I've seen crack heads with 6 pack abs.

If you mean working them, then absolutely. The abs and the whole core are very important.

splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for your replies. Any good ab exercises that I can fit into my full body workout?

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for your replies. Any good ab exercises that I can fit into my full body workout?
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#Rectus

Take your pick.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Planks will give you the best bang for you buck, adds core and back strength and stability.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Damn, that's a lot of options. Any recommendations that don't compromise my back or shoulders?

Originally Posted by BJP2k14 View Post
    Planks will give you the best bang for you buck, adds core and back strength and stability.
    Planks look like they are pretty bad for your shoulders. Don't I already put enough stress on them with my bench press? (I use incline bench by the way).

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Damn, that's a lot of options. Any recommendations that don't compromise my back or shoulders?

Planks look like they are pretty bad for your shoulders. Don't I already put enough stress on them with my bench press? (I use incline bench by the way).
    I mean if you're putting all your weight on your shoulders it can be.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    No not really unless your shoulders are made of glass in which case working out at all wouldn't be advised. EVERY single upper body lift uses shoulders...planks are an outstanding exercise.

Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rawsteel88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Start with regular planks, and remember not to hyperextend your lumbar spine and keep your abs/core tight.

Good plank form: http://i.imgur.com/fGKJ9Ya.jpg
    Bad plank form: http://i.imgur.com/sVHe36X.jpg

If you run a full body program then finish your workout with 3-4xMax, and when regular planks gets too easy move over to doing them with your feet on a bench and your elbows on a swiss ball, to make it even more challenging start doing circles with your elbows on the swiss ball (aka stir the pot), you could also move over to plank rollouts (http://www.styrkeprogrammet.se/ovningsarkiv/795), just remember that rollouts will also hit your triceps long head and latissimus dorsi, especially if you start doing them with straight arms and a full range of motion.
    Another good exercise, but that also trains the hip flexors and rectus femoris pretty hard, are leg raises to hip level, to make these more challenging perform them lying on a bench with your ass outside of it.

ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArmyWollfff has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should always work abdominals. Your abs play a huge role in a lot of your major lifts. Also, you want to build them up now so when you do lose that bodyfat you'll have em to show off.
    "he who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right" - Confucius

Thanks I will check out that planking exercise since it looks fairly simple to do.

DCArtWorx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Splattenburgers:

To be honest, I am really glad you asked that, because I too, wish to find out on such matters. I am normally really quite thin and small, but regardless, would really like to see results. I feel bad being too poor to pay for supplements or supplies, but rest assured, I do what I can. As of today, 12 April 2016, I've been doing a series of abdominal exercises and it is hard work -- I cannot wait until my work is paid off.

What I regret though, apart from not being able to afford the necessities, is that each time I attempt to work out, I am constantly straining my neck and causing discomfort there and my upper chest.

Is there anyone here that knows a remedy for that? What recommendations do any of you have for sooner results so that I, too, a beginner can achieve visible abdominal muscles?

KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10) KiNGDuBBz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    - planks
    - ab roll out
    - side planks
    - scissor kicks
    - folding chairs
    - hanging leg raises
    - oblique crunches
    - dumbbell side raises
    - frog sit ups
    - crunches
    - pushups

I like to do planks or folding chairs between lifts or sets to keep my heart rate up and challenge myself.

Originally Posted by DCArtWorx View Post
    Splattenburgers:

To be honest, I am really glad you asked that, because I too, wish to find out on such matters. I am normally really quite thin and small, but regardless, would really like to see results. I feel bad being too poor to pay for supplements or supplies, but rest assured, I do what I can. As of today, 12 April 2016, I've been doing a series of abdominal exercises and it is hard work -- I cannot wait until my work is paid off.

What I regret though, apart from not being able to afford the necessities, is that each time I attempt to work out, I am constantly straining my neck and causing discomfort there and my upper chest.

Is there anyone here that knows a remedy for that? What recommendations do any of you have for sooner results so that I, too, a beginner can achieve visible abdominal muscles?
    You're doing the exercises wrong if it hurts your neck.

Fastest way to abs as a beginner? 2 years of hard work and 3-4 bulk and cut cycles. Gain 50lbs. There is no shortcut and the word fast doesn't apply.

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DCArtWorx View Post
    Splattenburgers:

Not to sound harsh but at 5'11 and 115lbs, whatever your trying to show isn't cause of fat, its a lack of muscle. You cant grow muscle without eating enough to grow, stop worrying about abs and focus on growing some size. Calorie surplus and lift.
    Oct 2013- 4th Place Novice, 5th place Open NPC NY Grand Prix
    May 2015- 2nd Place Musclemania New England