Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Football Training (AFL) strength/speed/Power training log

ABOUT ME:
    I am 23yo. I have been hitting the gym regularly for just over a year now and am looking for something outside of plain bodybuilding now. I've been out of footy for nearly 2 years now and am looking at getting back in to it. So I'm trying to devise a bit of a program to get me back in to it.

MY GOALS:
    1. Put on a little muscle.
    2. Rebuild my fitness.
    3. Improve my strength, speed and vertical leap.
    4. Learn and develop a program that can help me and others in the future.

CURRENT STATS:
    Height: 177cm / 5"8'
    Weight: 71.7kgs
    Vertical jump: 54cm / 21'
    40 yard dash: 5.24secs
    400m dash: 1:14.68
    Deadlift max: 90kg
    Bench max: 80kg
    Squat max: 90kg

TRAINING:
    My training will consist of a mixture of Weight/strength training, plyometric training and cardio. I am weight training 4 times a week with my cardio and plyo twice a week and core 3 times a week. I have developed an 8 week program which will hopefully give me the boosts i'm looking for by the end of the period before I jump back on to the team.

ANY QUESTIONS, CRITIQUES OR RECOMMENDATIONS ARE MORE THEN WELCOME. I'M EAGER TO LEARN MORE SO ANY EXTRA INFO WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
    "It's hard to be humble when you are as great as I am."
    - Muhammad Ali

"I wasn't a point guard, I was a killer."
    - Alan Iverson

rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rickwells33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DAY 1:
    My first 2 weeks are standard hypertrophy trying to burn a bit of excess fat and gain muscle

Chest and Biceps:
    Bench press - 4x12 (60kgs)
    Incline dumbbell chest press - 4x12 (22kgs)
    Chest flys - 4x12 (12.5kgs)
    Cable crossovers - 4x12 (8kgs)
    Hammer Bar bicep curls - 4x12 (25kgs)
    Overhead cable curl - 4x12 (10kgs)

Had a good pump after this workout. Chest was burning and could feel it in my biceps. Very happy with the start.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 2:
    My first day of cardio. Not just in my program but for a long time. Being out of football for 2 years I've had very little reason to continue with the run training. Luckily I've been playing a bit of social competition basketball so I didn't completely die.

My cardio consisted of 30 minutes worth of Fartlek training (walk 1min, jog 2min, run 1min). runs at 16km/hr
    I was gasping during the last few run segments but kept the speeds the same. Throat burnt a little at the end but all in all I was pretty pleased with my first effort in a long, long time.

I finished up with a core session. Building on my balance and the ability to be able break through tackles.
    >Plank 5 sets of 1 minute each
    >Russian Twists (10kgs) 3 sets of 15ea side (I read that Chris Judd used to do these religiously, anyone who knows aussie rules will know why these are gonna be a big part of my workout)
    >Reverse crunches 3 sets of 20

I also Measured my body fat percentage today, to test at the end of my first 2 weeks and at the end of the entire program. I was a lot leaner then I was expecting.
    Body fat% - 9.07
    Lean Muscle Mass - 65.20kgs

That was it for today. As always If anybody does read this I would love some feedback I am always open to new info and critiques.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 3:

Had a rest form my scheduled program today. Did play the grand final for my basketball tonight though so had a good solid 30 minutes. Unfortunately, we lost, Absolutely shattered.

Looking forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow to make up for the lose.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 4:

Back in to the gym today. Hit back and core, working on my center, working on my balance and ability to break tackles as well as lay them.

Back:
    >Deadlift - 4x12 (60kgs)
    >V-grip pulldown - 4x12 (50kgs)
    >Low cable row - 4x12 (47kgs)
    >Rope pullover superset with face pulls - 4x12ea (21.25kgs)
    >Dumbbell shrug - 4x12 (20kgs)

Made some adjustments on the fly with this one dropped a couple of exercises for others. Came in with a little bit to much work on the upper back, hence dropped rear delt flys. The superset took a bit out of me, and my traps and rear delts where feeling a bit fatigued so the shrugs where a little bit lighter then I could of handled so I slowed them down and really focused on the contraction.

Core:
    >Ab rollout - 3x12
    >Russian twists - 3x15 (10kgs)
    >Swiss ball crunch - 3x20

Came out of this with sore abs today (didn't get the burn last time). Still doing my Russian twists, if it's good enough for Chris Judd it's good enough for me.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballzofpeaze has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where are you playing footy OP?

I've been playing in sydney but decided to have a year off this year.
    aussie cawk pulla crew
    sports misc crew
    golden state warriors crew
    Jross' wifebeater dedication crew
    same pose for every avi crew

Originally Posted by ballzofpeaze View Post
    Where are you playing footy OP?

I've been playing in sydney but decided to have a year off this year.
    Playing in bunbury, WA. It's nice having the time off but you do start to miss it.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

Forgot to update yesterday.

DAY 5:

Had my cardio again today. Another 30 mins of Fartlek. Seemed to struggle with it a bit more then last time whether or not that was mental or a bit of delayed fatigue from my last cardio and basketball. Either way still got back in to it and upped the pace a bit more in the sprints as well.

Followed it up with core again.
    >cable crunches 3×20 (20kgs)
    >swiss ball plank 5x1mins
    >heel taps 3x20ea side

Core was still a bit tender from the day before but I really enjoyed this workout. It hurt and i could still feel it this morning.

On the way to the gym right now for my shoulders & arms, so I will be back on later for another update.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJK2020 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just saying man work on that 40.
    just hit 4 months of lifting

200 bench
    255 squat (where is leg day??)
    300 dead lift

Originally Posted by CJK2020 View Post
    just saying man work on that 40.
    I know man was really disappointed with my time. That's what happens when you've been out for a while, leg speed gone out the window.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 6:

I've had some issues with my workout today. Forgot to bring my program with me and then as I've done my work out, tracking it in my phone as I was going along, my phone has decided it wasn't going to save anything. So I'm going from memory :S

Shoulders & Arm:
    >Standing military press - 4x12 (40kgs)
    >Lateral raises - 4x12 (9kgs)
    >Bent over rear delt fly - 4x12 (7kgs)
    >Front raises - 3x12 (16kgs)
    >Hammer bar curls superset with Tri pushdown - 4x12 (20kgs/21kgs)
    >Tricep overhead extension - 3x12 (18kgs)

Got a good pump from my shoulders today. Was the first time I'd done a standing shoulder press so was a little bit weaker than I expected but I had to focus a lot more on my form and stabilisation, something I wasn't used to from seated Presses. Still I was feeling quite fatigued going in to my arms. Again I went a little lighter in my bicep curls, seeing as I'd already done biceps this week. I'm loving the new Hammer bar curls at the gym at the moment though. never felt a pull like them before.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 7:

Legs:
    >Front squats - 4x12 (50kgs)
    >Leg Press - 4x12 (253kgs)
    >Leg extension - 4x12 (75kgs)
    >Lying leg curls - 21's (14kgs)
    >Seated Calf Raise - 4x12 (62kgs)
    >Calf press on leg press machine - 4x20 (93kgs)

Had a bit of jelly legs after this to round out the week. Tried out something a bit different with 21's on the leg curls. Looking forward to getting in to it again next week where I will continue standard hypertrophy but replacing my cardio with plyometrics.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 8:

Chest & Biceps:
    >Bench press - 4x15 (60kgs)
    >Incline hammer chest press - 3x12 (20kgs)
    >Cable crossovers - 4x15 (10kgs)
    >Pec deck - 4x15 (55kgs)
    >Overhead cable curl - 4x15 (10kgs)
    >Concentration curls - 4x15 (9kgs)

Upping my volume a little bit this week, but still trying to keep my weights the same. Had to go a little bit lighter on the hammer press as my shoulders where not feeling it at all and I didn't want to risk injury, especially so soon in to the program. My legs where still a bit sore from yesterday as well so I had a small stretching and foam roller session in the evening in preparation for my first bout of plyo training tomorrow.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 9:

Plyometric training:
    >Box jumps - 5x10 (30")
    >Jumping Goblet squat - 5x10 (12kgs)
    >Bulgarian split squat - 2x20 (25kgs)
    >Ankle Jumps - 6x30

First time ever doing plyometric training. I was a bit nervous doing this kind of stuff in a regular gym and not at a crossfit gym, but then I though, hell I'm paying for my membership I'll use it how I want to. I was surprised by how quickly the lactic acid built up in my legs, but it was a good work out and I had fun.

Core:
    >Side planks - 3x1min
    >Russia twists - 3x15 (12kgs)
    >Bicycle crunch - 3x20

Enjoyed the core today as well. Had a bit my of a focus on my side stabilisers (balance) and obliques and as always back to the trusty Russian twists.

All in all my training was starting to inch a bit ore to the practical side of things today. A trend that will continue of the next 7 weeks. That being said I will be back to hypertrophy again tomorrow and for the following 2 weight sessions, as I stated before going for that traditional bodybuilding conditioning.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 10:

Back:
    >Close grip pulldown - 4x15 (50kgs)
    >Bent over dumbbell row - 3x12 (15kgs)
    >Low cable row - 4x15 (47kgs)
    >Cable back fly - 4x15 (4.5kgs)
    >Back extension - 4x15 (15kgs)

I've never been a fan of back day to be honest I've always found it to be my weakest point. I suppose that should mean I do extra work on it but I like to enjoy my workouts and I just don't like back. That being said I still got a decent pull in my lats and could feel a pump in my rear delts and traps.

Core:
    >Bent knee leg raises - 3x15
    >Side bends - 3x12 (15kgs)
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 11:

Cardio day today. Hit the treadmills for a 20 minute fartlek today, and followed it up by 3 sets of 45secs. I wasn't feeling to good good today and my back was quite sore from yesterday so I didn't spend to much time in the gym today
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 12:

Forgot to post the last couple of days so I'm going to post the last few now. Day 12 was a rest day back was still sore from earlier and was having dinner at mum's so took it easy today.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 13:

Shoulders & arms:
    >Arnold press - 4x15 (16kgs)
    >Lateral raise - 4x15 (8kgs)
    >Rear delt machine fly - 4x15 (28.5kgs)
    >Landmine press superset with shrugs - 3x10&15 (25&20kgs)
    >Concentration curls - 3x10 (10kgs)
    >Hammer bar curl - 4x15 (23kgs)
    >Tricep kickback - 4x15 (7.5kgs)

Was really happy with this workout. Not only did i get a hell of a punp and my shoulders are still sore but i got through it without any pain or discomfort. And coming from the pain I got while doing chest earlier in the week I was pretty wrapped with that.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 14:

Legs:
    >Leg press - 4x15 (253kgs)
    >Leg extension - 4x15 (80kgs)
    >Split squat - 3x12 (20kgs)
    > Seated hamstring curl - 4x15 (40kgs)
    >Smith machine calf press - 4x15 (69kgs)

Core:
    >Hanging leg raises 3x10
    >Cable crunches 3x12 (21kgs)
    >Heel touches - 3x20

Had the gym to myself last night for the first time ever which was awesome. It didn't really effect my workout but it was nice not having to share. Solid workout came out of it with some jelly legs. I really focused on explosive movements with this one hopefully adding a bit to my power/jumping ability.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 15:

Moving a bit away from the standard hypertrophy this week and in to some strength training.

Full body strength:
    >Deadlift - 5x6 (90kgs)
    >Standing alternate shoulder press - 5x6 (16kgs)
    >Power clean - 5x6 (40kgs)
    >Good mornings - 5x6 (25kgs)
    >Squat - (90kgs)

Hoping to build a bit of a base from here. Was good to do a bit of pure strength to see where I'm at as well.

Full body strength:
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 16:

Rest:
    I f***king packed the wrong clothes today. I got to the gym opened my bag to change and found that instead of my trusty blue singlet I had packed my lovely girlfriends blue superman pyjama singlet. FFS. So forced rest day today back at it again tomorrow.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 17:

Picking up from what I was supposed to do yesterday...

Cardio:
    5 sets of 400m sprints. If it was hard doing one 400m as a time trial doing 5 of them was just awful. Killed me. I just hope it's all worth it.

Core:
    >RUSSIAN TWISTS!!!! - 3x15 (10kgs)
    >Bicycle crunches - 3x20
    >Bent knee leg raises - 3x15
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 18:

Rest day today.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 19:

Filling this one in as I go along tonight. Sick of forgetting so everything is getting added in as I do it.

Full body strength:
    >Deadlift - 5x6 (90kgs)
    >Standing alt shouldet press - 5x6 (19kgs)
    >Power cleans - 5x6 (45kgs)
    >Good mornings - 5x6 (25kgs)
    >Squat - 5x6 (90kgs)

My grip started to fail me on the deadlifts. Other than that solud workot tonight. Quads and back are a bit tight, hopefully wont hamper the cardio too much tomorrow.
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 20

Cardio:
    5 sets of 400m sprints today. Swear I nearly died with this. Was able to push the pace up a little bit though so happy with that.

Core:
    >Cable crunches - 3x15 (23kgs)
    >Heel touches - 3x20 on ea side
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 21

Full body strength/conditioning
    >Bench press - 3x10 (70kgs)
    >Lat pulldowns - 3x10 (50kgs)
    >Machine low row - 3x10 (45kgs)
    >Pushups superset with chin ups - 5x20&failure
    >Step ups - 3x10 (20kgs)

Core:
    >Russian twist - 3x15 (12kgs)
    >Ab wheel rollout - 3x12
    >Weighted crunches - 3x15 (10kgs)
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 22

This week is targeted specifically towards afl. Strength, conditioning and mobility. I have also tried to decrease my rest times, trying to increase my strength/cardio. The lat pulldowns is also a double grip change, 5x wide grip 5x close grip and 5x reverse grip.

Back & chest:
    >Chin up superset with face pull - 4x8&15 (18.75kgs)
    >Lat pulldowns superset with DB external rotation - 2x15&15 (57 &8kgs)
    >Single arm dumbbell row - 3x10 (18kgs)
    >Wide grip cable rows (double drop set) - 2x5/5/5 (57/47/40kgs)
    >Bench press superset with dumbbell fly - 3x8&12 (70&12kgs)
    >Single arm dumbbell press - 3x10 (16kgs)
    >Machine chest press (double drop set) - 2x5/5/5 (60/55/50kgs)
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 23

Lower body:
    >Deadlift superset with seated calf raise 4 sets of 8/6/4/4 & 12 (90 & 50kgs)
    >Dumbbell step ups - 3x8 (20kgs)
    >Single leg deadlift - 3x8 (14kgs)
    >Lateral lunge superset with smith macine calf raise - 3x6&8 (20&80kgs)
    >Glute bridge - 2x15 holdibg last rep for 15 seconds

The focus was on balance and explosiveness today. All exercise were performed with correct form but as fast and as powerfully as possible.

Core:
    >Cable crunches - 3x15 (23.75kgs)
    >Cable woodchoppers - 3x10ea side (11.25kgs)
    >Pulse ups - 3x15
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 24

Cardio:
    Started with a 1km row today. 5 minutes at top intensity to kick start the training. Followed it up with 20 minutes of interval running on the treadmill. Came out of it sweating like a pig.

Core:
    >Plank - 5x1 minute
    >Heel touches - 3x20ea side
    >Bent knee leg raises - 2x15
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson

DAY 25

full body:
    >Barbell military press superset with dumbbell external rotations - 4x8&10 (45&10kgs)
    >Single leg box squats - 3x8 (20kgs)
    >lying hamstring curls superset with incline Pushups - 3x10&30 (16kgs)
    >Ez bar bicep curl superset with Ez bar skull crushers - 3x8 (25kgs)
    >Dumbbell hammer curls superset with overhead tri extension - 3x10 (12&20kgs)
    - Muhammad Ali

- Alan Iverson