Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to forum. Bulk or cut?

Hi all my name is Steve, I'm new to the forum. I'm located in Melbourne Australia.
    I've been off the weights for almost 12 months and I'm motivated to get back into it.
    I've been lifting for about a month and eating approx 3000 calories a day to slowly bulk back up (I believe my maintenance is approx 2500 calories).

I've attached a current photo, and I'm wondering if my body fat is too much to bulk? I reckon I'm about 20%, agree?
    Should I cut or bulk by looking at that photo? I'm 82kg, 5'10.
    Cheers
    Attached Images

codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    20%? Cut.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Arizona Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays | Winnipeg Jets

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea man x2 for cut. You need to get that fat % down to good levels before considering adding some lbm
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

mezzaman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    x3 from me to mate on the cut.

sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunchew will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    x4. cut.

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

You are at about 20% now but 82kg at 5'10" isn't overweight by any stretch. You say you've been off the weights for 12 months, so from that I assume that you were weight training consistently before ... what was your weight and body fat when you stopped training and do you have any pics from back then? 'Muscle memory' is a wonderful thing so I'll disagree with the crowd and say that you should start training heavy and often again and see how quickly you make gains .. by all means don't up your cals now but maintaining in at least a stable calorie balance with high enough protein and you should maximise your gains. Once you're back into a good routine and maybe 2 months in, then review. If your are making good strength and size gains and leaning up then keep dong what you are doing ; if you are still feeling and looking fat, then cut back on the cals. In summary: don't cut back cals when you are at a sweet spot and looking to maximise gains; cut back once the gains plateau
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stevep88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks all, appreciate the honesty.
    I used to be at 69-70kg 12-14 months ago, at maybe 14% body fat (see attached photo, cold no pump).
    I was told by family that I looked like a child so that put me off and I started bulking again. As you can see I have a small bone structure.
    My life become busy so I stopped at about 74kg, and since have piled on the body fat.
    Yes muscle memory is great and to be honest i have lost no strength in that time.

Should I aim to go back to that photo or leaner?
    Attached Images

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

You've got a good foundation ..... good frame and good shoulders and arms but you lacked chest size. I'd say just lift heavy and stick to the big compound lifts and you'll pretty quickly add size and strength

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magnetbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cut

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol no offense to your family but they were obviously just jealous of your physique when they said you looked like a child. You def have a good base to work with but unfortunately let your bf get way out of hand so work on getting that down to about what you were at before and then add some lbm.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Thanks. The chest lacked because I had lower back issues and couldn't do flat bench, I was only doing incline.
    Should I be eating at maintenance or 100-200 calories less with this muscle memory technique?

Originally Posted by Stevep88 View Post
    Thanks. The chest lacked because I had lower back issues and couldn't do flat bench, I was only doing incline.
    Should I be eating at maintenance or 100-200 calories less with this muscle memory technique?
    It depends how hard you plan on hitting the gym. My premise for saying don't cut yet is that if you've been out of training for 12 months but you have trained before, then your body is going to want to grow quickly. Cutting any nutrients is going to limit that. Of course, the main nutrients are a good amount of protein (generally 200g per day) and some fats for essential FAs. If you'd feel more comfortable cutting a little, then dropping 200 cals per day won't make much difference ... you need to be in deficit for a total of around 7,500 cals to lose 1kg of body fat (there's ~15% water weight in fat). I'd still say that you should just plan to hold your weight (so eat at maintenance but make sure you get clean macros) and go hard in the gym and see where you are in 2 months and then cut back

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Rafaevox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say cut for sure mate, you already got a good frame underneath that fat

Good advice, i'll keep you posted. Did my body fat look like 14% ?

It's been about 4 weeks now, does it look like I'm making progress and am I ready for a proper cut? My waist size appears smaller from my belt holes and my strength has improved. My body weight hasn't changed, been eating around or just below maintenance.
    Attached Images

I can def notice some changes between that and the first pic (your mid section seems a bit thinner and arms a little bigger) so whatever you are doing is working at the moment

Thanks will do.
    Surprised to be losing waist size and becoming stronger at the same time. Must be the muscle memory.

Guys, am I making progress honestly, it's been over a couple of months.
    Should I lower calories even more?
    Attached Images

Registered User SteelBrotherhoD's Avatar
    SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10) SteelBrotherhoD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes, you are definitely making progress. Good job so far!
    Steel Brotherhood ~ Based in Tenerife, Canary Islands, we train, compete, and hit life with all we have got !

https://www.instagram.com/steelbrotherhood1/

https://www.********.com/steelbrotherhood1/

Yup midsection has def shrunk in size from what i can see

manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000) manuel1987 is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah defo making progress, keep it up!

uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uphillclimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow youve got a good base man

Thanks everyone will definitely keep at it. I'm enjoying the slow cut because im not losing muscle size/strength. Hoping to get down to 12% body fat by the next 3-4 months.

Attached is a side by side progress pic I've made in exactly 3 months just by simply taking advantage of muscle memory and eating on just below maintenance.
    What does my current body fat % look like?
    Attached Images

Just to update the thread, it's been about 8 months of consistent home weights and diet. Last couple of months I've been eating 500 calories below maintenance. Lost about 11kg (24Lb) since the first photo in March, but similar strength. I'd say I'm about 14% bodyfat now. I'm going to lose a few more Lb then bulk in the new year. Very happy.
    Attached Images

Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Diamhea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like a success.

Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000) Greater Deity is just really nice. (+1000)
    You have done great for yourself. Outstanding! This just goes to show anyone that they don't need a big and expensive gym to achieve health and fitness! Reps!

Damn dude that is impressive to say the least great results!!

Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fran1211 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wow...you look like a different person. Outstanding

Thanks for everyone's support through out the year.