Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1K in 3:40

S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000)

1K in 3:40

Hey guys i wanna know how can i run 1km in 3:40 or less.

I need to pass a physical test which requires i run 1km in 3:40minute, my best time is 4:20 so far.

Im 5,7 at 180lbs

Is there any program or any method to decrease my running time into this desired time?

S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000) S0ulBerzerker is just really nice. (+1000)
    So im guessing no one knows? or i posted this in the wrong section?

BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by S0ulBerzerker View Post
    So im guessing no one knows? or i posted this in the wrong section?

Question 1: Are you running wide open throttle the whole 4:20 (I'd assume not)?

Question 2: How long have you been working at this?

Question 3: How gassed are you after running 1K in 4:20?

(If I had to guess you're in the right section)

FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey guys i wanna know how can i run 1km in 3:40 or less.

I need to pass a physical test which requires i run 1km in 3:40minute, my best time is 4:20 so far.

Im 5,7 at 180lbs

Is there any program or any method to decrease my running time into this desired time?
    Well you are about 50lbs overweight for a runner so losing that will help Assuming that isn't an option (i.e. it is mainly muscle not fat), you options are pretty much training. You need to run. I will also make a guess that you want to do the minimum amount possible. This stuff isn't remotely optimal for running fast. It is for a guy who wants to run a time while minimizing the running.

Obviously a lot depends on your background (what are you doing for cardio these days. Is that 180lbs at 10% BF or 20%)

1) Run. 3-4x/week 30-40 mins at a time

Depending on your conditioning that is probably enough. Distance running is a skill and you need to do it to get decent at it. The second step would be

2) Race pace work. Once a week go out, warm up for 5 min and then run at 3:40 pace for 60s/ rest for 3 min (do it at a track. Counting strides is a decent way to master pace). Start with 2 of them and work up to doing 6-8 of them. Then if you are still not fast enough, start cutting the rest (2:30, 2:00) over a period of weeks.

That should be enough to get you to around 3:40 in like 6 weeks (assuming you can work up to 30 mins of running in like 2 weeks and then start doing the speed work). You could try and do less running (i.e. run 2x/week and do things like 30-40 mins of cardio on the bike or rowing machine) but you need to do a bit to get the legs used to it.

Again this isn't remotely good running training. It is decent for someone who doesn't want to be a runner.

BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BreakdownBBD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FT1973 View Post
    Well you are about 50lbs overweight for a runner so losing that will help Assuming that isn't an option (i.e. it is mainly muscle not fat), you options are pretty much training. You need to run. I will also make a guess that you want to do the minimum amount possible. This stuff isn't remotely optimal for running fast. It is for a guy who wants to run a time while minimizing the running.

Obviously a lot depends on your background (what are you doing for cardio these days. Is that 180lbs at 10% BF or 20%)

Depending on your conditioning that is probably enough. Distance running is a skill and you need to do it to get decent at it. The second step would be

2) Race pace work. Once a week go out, warm up for 5 min and then run at 3:40 pace for 60s/ rest for 3 min (do it at a track. Counting strides is a decent way to master pace). Start with 2 of them and work up to doing 6-8 of them. Then if you are still not fast enough, start cutting the rest (2:30, 2:00) over a period of weeks.

That should be enough to get you to around 3:40 in like 6 weeks (assuming you can work up to 30 mins of running in like 2 weeks and then start doing the speed work). You could try and do less running (i.e. run 2x/week and do things like 30-40 mins of cardio on the bike or rowing machine) but you need to do a bit to get the legs used to it.

Again this isn't remotely good running training. It is decent for someone who doesn't want to be a runner.

I would second all of these ideas. I was going to suggest something along the lines of running 3-5km total. I think that the main culprit here is lack of lung capacity. I think that even at my weight I could do this, but would need the 6 week ramp up. If someone wagered me I'd do it just for kicks.

I hate the idea of rest. Speed walk then back to running again - unless that's what you meant.

All good advise though!

Originally Posted by BreakdownBBD View Post
    Question 1: Are you running wide open throttle the whole 4:20 (I'd assume not)?

Question 2: How long have you been working at this?

Question 3: How gassed are you after running 1K in 4:20?

(If I had to guess you're in the right section)
    For question 1: I am not sure what you mean, english is not my primary language, but i am assuming you are trying to say if this 4:20 time is at my max effort? yes it is.

question 2: I have been working this for almost 2 months ( I do 5 min warm up, then the 1km test at my max effort, then i rest about 3 mins to fully recovery, then i do 1 set of 400m and 2 sets of 200m at max effort).

question 3: Very gassed out since im using my max effort everytime i do this workout twice a week.

I agree with this, but don't expect me to lose 50lbs in 2 months, im not that fat

For question 1: I am not sure what you mean, english is not my primary language, but i am assuming you are trying to say if this 4:20 time is at my max effort? yes it is.

question 2: I have been working this for almost 2 months ( I do 5 min warm up, then the 1km test at my max effort, then i rest about 3 mins to fully recovery, then i do 1 set of 400m and 2 sets of 200m at max effort).

question 3: Very gassed out since im using my max effort everytime i do this workout twice a week.

I agree with this, but don't expect me to lose 50lbs in 2 months, im not that fat

My question is more related to endurance.

For all 4:20 are you running the fastest that you can? I would assume not. Your fastest speed would be: 13.85kph. Your required speed would be: 16.36kph.

If you were to run for 2 minutes could you maintain 16.5 kph?? I'd assume yes. Your legs and your muscles can do that, but you are unable to get enough oxygen into you fast enough to maintain that over 4 minutes.

You really need to start running 3-5km total to get your lung capacity up even if only running @ 10kph, and then you can complete the 1km sprint.

I did a 10km run in 2014, and my first 2.5km was done @ 12.39, and that speed was done dodging other runners and weaving through people. If you can put up those types of modest numbers on a 2.5 - 5km run, you will be able to reach 3:40 on 1km. I think that I could given where I was running when I did the 10km race.

Increase your running to 3-4 times a week. Today do 1.5 km, day off, next day 2.0km until you hit 5km and then get faster that at, it will help you sprint 1km.

My question is more related to endurance.

For all 4:20 are you running the fastest that you can? I would assume not. Your fastest speed would be: 13.85kph. Your required speed would be: 16.36kph.

If you were to run for 2 minutes could you maintain 16.5 kph?? I'd assume yes. Your legs and your muscles can do that, but you are unable to get enough oxygen into you fast enough to maintain that over 4 minutes.

You really need to start running 3-5km total to get your lung capacity up even if only running @ 10kph, and then you can complete the 1km sprint.

I did a 10km run in 2014, and my first 2.5km was done @ 12.39, and that speed was done dodging other runners and weaving through people. If you can put up those types of modest numbers on a 2.5 - 5km run, you will be able to reach 3:40 on 1km. I think that I could given where I was running when I did the 10km race.

Increase your running to 3-4 times a week. Today do 1.5 km, day off, next day 2.0km until you hit 5km and then get faster that at, it will help you sprint 1km.
    I noticed this is the truth, i can go full nutz, when im reaching the 600-700m my body starts to shut down and rythm starts to decrease very fast, i can't hold fully steady sprint for 1km...

can i do this in 2 month time frame?
    Last edited by S0ulBerzerker; 02-29-2016 at 06:01 PM.

I noticed this is the truth, i can go full nutz, when im reaching the 600-700m my body starts to shut down and rythm starts to decrease very fast, i can't hold fully steady sprint for 1km...

can i do this in 2 month time frame?

Yes. You have to 3-4 times a week and get your body ready for 3-5km at a decent pace in order to run 1km in the time you that need.

I'll be honest, after going 9.5K in my 10K run in 2014, I think that I did all of the last 500 Meters at the pace that you'll need. Get your body trained for longer distances, and you'll be fine.

FT1973, minus the whole losing 50lbs thing (which is NOT going to happen in a month) has the winning formula. Map out a route, run 3/4 of full speed until you can't anymore. Slow down to speed-walking for 1-2 minutes and then right back up to 3/4 again, just keep on doing this until you're done your distances.

If you just keep on running 1km 2 times a week, your gains won't be significant enough to help you reach your goal.

If you run 3-4 times per week 3-5km each time. You will probably lose close to 10lbs, which will make running 1K in the time required much easier as well.

FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Those max effort workouts are not very efficent. They are largely anaerobic and the ability to train that system is limited. The intervals I outlined work the anaerobic system but because the rest is some what short, you also end up spending time around vo2 max which improves your aerobic system. The other thing is that you need to train 4x/week. There have been a lot of studies on this and frequency of training matters a lot. You can't do that if you are going that intensly. If you don't want to do continous running, do things like 8-12x400 slower than your race pace (maybe start at 2:00 400 and if that feels easy drop 10s off during the next workout). At the end of that work out you should feel tired but not drained. And finally work on pacing. Going out an dying results in a slower race than running the right pace from the start. One of the big reasons to do race pace work is to know what it feels like. It will feel slow for the first 600ms, hard for the next 200, and impossible for the last 200. At the end you just have to realize your body is lying to you.

The 50lbs is a bit of a joke but you will run about 6/sec/km faster for every 10lbs you lose.

Those max effort workouts are not very efficent. They are largely anaerobic and the ability to train that system is limited. The intervals I outlined work the anaerobic system but because the rest is some what short, you also end up spending time around vo2 max which improves your aerobic system. The other thing is that you need to train 4x/week. There have been a lot of studies on this and frequency of training matters a lot. You can't do that if you are going that intensly. If you don't want to do continous running, do things like 8-12x400 slower than your race pace (maybe start at 2:00 400 and if that feels easy drop 10s off during the next workout). At the end of that work out you should feel tired but not drained. And finally work on pacing. Going out an dying results in a slower race than running the right pace from the start. One of the big reasons to do race pace work is to know what it feels like. It will feel slow for the first 600ms, hard for the next 200, and impossible for the last 200. At the end you just have to realize your body is lying to you.

The 50lbs is a bit of a joke but you will run about 6/sec/km faster for every 10lbs you lose.
    I just don't understand when you say to me run at 30-40 mins, the big sessions, i can run 30-40 mins but at what pace? could you give me a time marker to complete ? at 30-40mins it's like 5 or 6km or so right?

I just don't understand when you say to me run at 30-40 mins, the big sessions, i can run 30-40 mins but at what pace? could you give me a time marker to complete ? at 30-40mins it's like 5 or 6km or so right?
    Its very hard to give you a time or distance to go.

If he gave you a target of 5km in 30 minutes it could prove too easy. If he said 5km in 20 minutes it could be too insanely hard.

Run 5km or 30 minutes and keep on trying for personal bests for either time or distance and keep on trying to get better at both. They will be the foundation on which you run your 1km in a very short time. You'll probably lose a few pounds along the way training which will only help.

If he gave you a target of 5km in 30 minutes it could prove too easy. If he said 5km in 20 minutes it could be too insanely hard.

Run 5km or 30 minutes and keep on trying for personal bests for either time or distance and keep on trying to get better at both. They will be the foundation on which you run your 1km in a very short time. You'll probably lose a few pounds along the way training which will only help.
    Try something like 5:30-6:00/ KM. Going faster isn't really better. It is more important to get volume (40 mins instead of 20mins) with these types of workouts. You might find running 40 mins impossible at first (i.e. you have to walk after 15 mins). Over 2-3 weeks you should finding running that far to be doable and your pace will naturally increase. Beginner gains in running are awesome. You have to be a bit careful about really pushing the pace It makes going out the next day much harder. The interval workouts are where you work on running fast. You don't need to do a lot of those to get the benefit.

Try something like 5:30-6:00/ KM. Going faster isn't really better. It is more important to get volume (40 mins instead of 20mins) with these types of workouts. You might find running 40 mins impossible at first (i.e. you have to walk after 15 mins). Over 2-3 weeks you should finding running that far to be doable and your pace will naturally increase. Beginner gains in running are awesome. You have to be a bit careful about really pushing the pace It makes going out the next day much harder. The interval workouts are where you work on running fast. You don't need to do a lot of those to get the benefit.

Thanks guys i got the picture, will do as you said !

7km in 42mins, 5:30 - 6min per KM like you said. Felt good not too hard but not too easy, but doable.

7km in 42mins, 5:30 - 6min per KM like you said. Felt good not too hard but not too easy, but doable.

That's actually pretty impressive. Keep up the good work!!

That's actually pretty impressive. Keep up the good work!!
    Do i increase distance, maintain or try to decrease times?

Do i increase distance, maintain or try to decrease times?
    The added training effect of doing this at 5:30 versus 6:00 isn't huge. You could try and run farther but I would really suggest more frequency first. Get up to 4x week before thinking about making it harder (either distance or speed). In about 2-4 weeks you will naturally find you pace picking up.

The added training effect of doing this at 5:30 versus 6:00 isn't huge. You could try and run farther but I would really suggest more frequency first. Get up to 4x week before thinking about making it harder (either distance or speed). In about 2-4 weeks you will naturally find you pace picking up.
    Ok so i will maintain the rythm then with 4x times a week, when it start feeling comfortable to the body, it will pick up the pace automatically, got it.

Come Crawling Faster puppet_master's Avatar
    puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000) puppet_master is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to be doing interval / spring trainining to shorten your 1km time
    I Browse the MISK

CEO

Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000) Halbrust is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a different take on how you should train for this.
    I don't think you should be running more than 2k at a time.
    You need to be running most days. 4 days/week minimum.

Run 1.5k or 2k as fast as you can (trying for less than 6 minutes)
    Walk until you feel rested, shouldn't be more than 5 minutes.
    Run as far as you can in 3:30.
    Run 1.5k or 2k as fast as you can. (trying for less than 6 minutes)
    Walk for at least 30 minutes.

I believe you can do the above 7 days/week, and it will get you under your 3:40 kilometer easily.
    9/26/17: 327.0 lbs
    01/05/18: 304.6 lbs

Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
    I have a different take on how you should train for this.
    I don't think you should be running more than 2k at a time.
    You need to be running most days. 4 days/week minimum.

Run 1.5k or 2k as fast as you can (trying for less than 6 minutes)
    Run as far as you can in 3:30.
    Run 1.5k or 2k as fast as you can. (trying for less than 6 minutes)
    Walk for at least 30 minutes.

I believe you can do the above 7 days/week, and it will get you under your 3:40 kilometer easily.
    How many days in a row have you every been able to do that workout? I would be shocked if you made it more than about 2 days without the 1.5k runs getting significantly slower. It is easy to write out hard workouts. It is a lot harder to do them. Frankly running 3:40 is darn slow so pretty much anything works (well anything that gets you running for a bit)

Originally Posted by puppet_master View Post
    You need to be doing interval / spring trainining to shorten your 1km time
    Eventually yes. Inteverals work a better though if you have a minimal running base before starting. That minimal running base might be enough to accomplish this goal but yeah at some point intervals 1-2x a week gets you to the next level of performance that you will not reach by jogging around for 40 mins.

Ok so i will maintain the rythm then with 4x times a week, when it start feeling comfortable to the body, it will pick up the pace automatically, got it.
    Once you feel comfortable you should try doing 1 hard day a week. I listed some interval workouts earlier. You don't need to do a lot of them to get signficant improvements. You could also do a time trial (show up and run that 1km) every 2-3 weeks to see how close you are getting to your goals. I would be shocked if you didn't drop like 20s+ after about 2-3 weeks of running 4x/week.

Once you feel comfortable you should try doing 1 hard day a week. I listed some interval workouts earlier. You don't need to do a lot of them to get signficant improvements. You could also do a time trial (show up and run that 1km) every 2-3 weeks to see how close you are getting to your goals. I would be shocked if you didn't drop like 20s+ after about 2-3 weeks of running 4x/week.
    Yes im running 4x week for 40 mins and 1x a week the interval speed ones, it's running 5x a week basicly

Yes im running 4x week for 40 mins and 1x a week the interval speed ones, it's running 5x a week basicly

Two thumbs up buddy.

Just as an FYI . . . . I'm thinking of aiming for the same goal. I don't want to be all: "Here's my advise, i have absolutely no idea what I'm doing" gotta warn you, I'm still pretty out of shape still and a little heavy. Will let you know how it goes. Pretty much stopped running end of 2014, I've just been breaking back into it.

Two thumbs up buddy.

Just as an FYI . . . . I'm thinking of aiming for the same goal. I don't want to be all: "Here's my advise, i have absolutely no idea what I'm doing" gotta warn you, I'm still pretty out of shape still and a little heavy. Will let you know how it goes. Pretty much stopped running end of 2014, I've just been breaking back into it.
    Good to hear it m8! Go for it, yes then let me know, it will be interesting see the results too

Good to hear it m8! Go for it, yes then let me know, it will be interesting see the results too

So . . . . . if I haven't made it clear, my last time putting any effort into running was Oct. 2014, my game has dropped and my weight has increased. In 2014 I was doing 40+ minutes @ 6.0MPH 3% incline. Right now I'm struggling for 15 minutes.

There's a track at one of the gyms I attend 12 laps = 1km.

First three laps (.25 km) = 46 seconds. Pace needed is 55 seconds.

1km = 5:00 (though I'm not sure if I might have done 13 laps), regardless, there's work to be done. I really lost a lot of speed and momentum on the 40 turns, it's an oval track, so the two end ones are annoying when at stride.

I will need more than your timeline to get down to 3:40 (if I ever do), but I'm pretty sure that I can shave 40 seconds off, in that timeline or more. We'll see. Things are drying up here and I'm eager to get out for a few runs on trails & the open road.

Registered User roadcyclingbrah's Avatar
    roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) roadcyclingbrah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can you give some information on when you want to run sub 3:40? Then I could give you more specific recommendations. As for now I would stick to what others said and do some base miles, maybe carefully!!! build up to something like one long run of 70mins and 3x40m, do one even easier week every 4th week. It takes some time to complete the initial build up of the mitochondria count in your working muscle.

If you must you can do one session targeting your running economy on the track, for example 4x400repeats(400jog recovery) at your best mile speed, that's totally sufficient for that purpose. Also you can incorporate 3,4,5 half-assed(sub-maximal) 20sec sprints in your easy runs, that helps for the same purpose, just to build some speed and motor patterns.

Doing intervals like (the very effective aerobic capacity building) training session of 2k near-all outs at this point is utter madness and an almost guaranteed one-way ticket to snap city. There might be some people who can handle that without an extensive running background, but they are usually not the ones struggling to breach 1k@3'40'' no offense ;-)

With your training background you do not need to train that hard - and really shouldn't - to see good gains in running performance. If you stay injury free, you will improve. I cannot stress that enough, running is such an injury prone sport and again especially for someone with your training background taking risks almost never pays off. I know, since I was there myself, that most people need to learn by jacking their **** up themselves, but if I could give one word of advise I would say build up running volume and intensity as if you came straight from a wheelchair. I know training hard is fun, but you'll thank me later (or not, because best case you'll never know what you avoided)...

If after getting in some solid base miles and economy work you still are off target, only then I would consider some anaerobic fast paced work aswell as highly specific hard intervals.

meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) meko5561 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don t no