ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lower Reps During Prep

I've been doing 5 sets of 5 for my squats lately and I kind of like it, but I wanna try something like 3x3 or 4x3 or something like that, really, just to change it up a bit. Maybe incorporate some heavy singles into my workouts. Are there any benefits of doing heavier weight when dieting for a show? Is it more "muscle sparing" than higher volume training? Maybe there are disadvantages? Maybe it's too stressful on the CNS when you're at a deficit and doing cardio and stuff? If it's not that bad, I might try to do that with some other lifts, too.

Maybe it doesn't freaking matter?

Any opinions are appreciated.
    Work like a slave. Eat like a king. Sleep like a baby. Look like a GOD.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪
    If I tell you "reps on recharge" and I forget, just remind me.

fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have found that higher reps has helped me a lot when prepping for a show. I usually do squats about 3x a week and one of them is a heavy day. For example on my high rep days I'll do squats: 1x14 1x12 1x10 1x8.
    On heavy days I'll start at 8 reps and then proceed to go down by two for 4 sets. Find what works best for you! every body is different

ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I personally like to stay in the 6-10 rep range for most of the prep and then do higher volume workouts towards the end. My body responds best when I do sets of 8, everyone is going to be different though.
    *Nationally qualified classic physique competitor and middleweight bodybuilding

~Follow Me On Instagram: alaskan_muscle

☆Affordable Online Training☆
    www.********.com/theoriginalteamwolf?fref=ts
    Prices&Testimonies: http://awolf10.wix.com/teamwolf

DRINK WATER
    WORK HARDER
    GET BIGGER

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Every rep range has some hypertrophy benefit
    Every rep range has some strength benefit

I'm a huge proponent of a DUP approach where your undulating your rep scheme within a given week on a daily basis. There are far too many mechanisms for hypertrophy and far too many fibers to ignore any rep range, not just in prep but year round.
    advertising not permitted

Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beaudiesel1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DUP that **** son, every rep range is beneficial, i tend to have 1 lower and 1 higher rep range day every week for a body part. Theres just something i like about getting shredded as **** and still pulling 5 plates.
    It's all about progress, not perfection.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ThePinsir View Post
    I've been doing 5 sets of 5 for my squats lately and I kind of like it, but I wanna try something like 3x3 or 4x3 or something like that, really, just to change it up a bit. Maybe incorporate some heavy singles into my workouts. Are there any benefits of doing heavier weight when dieting for a show? Is it more "muscle sparing" than higher volume training? Maybe there are disadvantages? Maybe it's too stressful on the CNS when you're at a deficit and doing cardio and stuff? If it's not that bad, I might try to do that with some other lifts, too.

Maybe it doesn't freaking matter?

Any opinions are appreciated.
    Heavy weight will help you maintain muscle assuming you don't get injured and have to rest. Keeping intensity high despite a caloric deficit is something I preach for sure. Varying intensities from session to session has been shown to be very beneficial and most periodization programs are setup that way these days.

One thing I do during prep is a bit of autoregulation where I go in and warm up and based on how I am feeling that day I do either higher or lower intensity, then the next time I train I use the one I didn't the first session. I find this also helps with performance.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder