cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10) cscc is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post NASM Exam review/prep

Heyo! Made an account just to share information on the NASM Exam. I was able to pass on my first attempt (02/10/2016) and made it a priority to go over it multiple times after I had finished to remember the topics that were on it to help everyone out. I used many other people's reviews so it's only fair I give back

The morning of the exam I ate a somewhat nutritious breakfast and coked myself up on caffeine since I'd been binge studying since 2am the night before. With that said, I dont recommend last minute studying but drinking a cup of coffee (or 4) might help keep you focused.

In the test center, for me at least, you locked up everything except your ID/ driver's license and your CPR/AED card so don't think you need a water bottle or anything. You also get a 5 minute restroom break if you need it.

Now for the test: it's a single question on each page unlike the practice exam which has 25/page. This makes it a lot less overwhelming. 4 choices per question

The content:
    - Reciprical/ autogenic inhibition
    ->Each type of stretch and which inhibition it uses (I got questions regarding active stretches)
    -The role of the skeletal system
    ->support and leverage
    -First, second, and third class levers
    -Stages on change from Ch. 19 (I think. I got 3-4 questions)
    -Kinetic chain checkpoints for a squat
    -F.I.T.T.E (I got a question on the meaning of "E")
    -S.M.A.R.T Goals (whenever I got practice questions in regards to SMART goals, I just looked for the answer with all the numbers eg. "I will lose 1.5 pounds each week for 8 weeks and go to weekly weigh ins" as opposed to "Ima get shredded after I bulk, bruh")
    -Diastolic and systolic blood pressure readings and whats healthy
    ->Systolic (numerator)/ diastolic (denominator)
    ->"Healthy" is less than 120/80 so don't be fooled when they ask what is a healthy diastolic reading and 80 mmHg is an answer but 70-75 mmHg is the correct answer
    -Calories from fat, protein, and carbohydrates
    -The steps in building your own business (I got at least 4 questions from this)
    -Lower/upper crossed and what muscles they affect
    -Altered reciprical inhibition (this was my first question and was identical to the one on the practice exam)
    -How long should you keep a clients paperwork
    -> 4 years
    -> I would go ahead and memorize everything from the hand book, though.
    -Motor learning
    -The muscles of the respiratory pump
    -> Which muscles help in extreme inspiration... the scalenes
    -SA and AV node (just asked me a basic question on the function of the SA)
    -External and Internal Feedback (I got 2 questions pertaining to each)
    -Clients with special needs (just the basics)
    ->I got 2 or 3 questions asking proper training techniques for someone with coronary heart (or artery...can't remember) disease
    -> Kind of common sense here. Didn't study these too in depth but knew supine and prone positions were not good and circuit training was good lol
    -Types of fats and which have gone through hydrogenation
    - Overhead squat assessment... duh!
    -regressions and progressions
    -> two arm to alternating arms, two leg stable to single leg stable, etc.
    - Local and Global Stabilization
    -Muscles of the Movement system (one of the questions I blanked out on)
    - Acute variables
    -> tempo, reps, sets, number of exercises per body part depending on stage of OPT, REST periods
    -Metabolic Pathways ie. Anaerobic glycolysis vs Aerobic Glycolysis and ATP-PC system (I got 2 questions)
    ->which pathway is appropriate for say sprinting or a marathon
    -Difference between ADDuction and ABduction
    - Isotonic, Isokinetic, Eccentric, Concentic, Isometric
    -Before a distance run, what food should someone eat
    ->the option with the most carbs... like an oatmeal cookie...
    - All of the stretches (although all active stretches have "active" in their name, and all static stretches have "static" in their name, so pay attention to dynamic because they can get confusing with some stabilization exercises from the balance training)
    - Metabolic and Mechanical Specificity (got a question from each)
    -Know the Endomysium is the innermost layer
    - Know stages of G.A.S (I got a question regarding the Alarm phase)
    -Know the body adapts, plain and simple
    - "which resistance training method is best for a deconditioned client?" multi set/single set/ drop set/ pyramid
    - "what should a trainer tell a client the main goal of phase 2 of the OPT Model is?" neuromuscular efficiency/ muscular endurance/ force rate production/ cross sectional area of muscle

things you should MEMORIZE: (you're going to get a question from these, but there are so many possibilities so it'd be wise to know it all and be prepared for anything that can come from these topics)
    Page 196!!!
    Global stabilization
    Local Stabilization
    Movement System
    Main Acute Variables
    ALL of the exercises from each chapter. I got so many questions just flat out asking which exercises is appropriate for a client in Stabilization Core training or whatever the scenario. They will try and bull**** you by asking about a balance stabilization exercise or something and all the choices are stabilization exercises so they all seem correct 'cause to me, balance and stabilization are just separated to make the book longer...

I made quizlet flashcards with all of the things to MEMORIZE except for the acute variables: Go to quizlet dot com, and type in "Must Know NASM" It is the option with 80 terms

I didn't get any questions regarding CPR or amino acids, but a majority of questions that were about training a potential client were correlated to the Stabilization- Endurance phase of the OPT model rather than strength or power.

Also, pay attention to if they say PHASEx or LEVELx of the OPT Model

If you can get >95 on the practice test and >80 on the practice quizzes taking them one after another, go ahead and schedule your test.

Goodluck!!!

(This is a reference guide, no guarantees your exam will follow this list as this list is symbolic of my exam experience)
    Last edited by cscc; 02-14-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Svetlanaruban has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you for sharing!
    I just made an account to reply lol
    I'm study NASM , close to the test .
    I'll get it !👍💪