tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000)

back pain from chest workout

a few weeks ago during my chest workout, while doing incline db bench press, at the end of my last set, i think i twisted my upper body a little to get the weight up for the last rep (maybe last 2 reps, i dont remember) and "tweeked" my back a little. now, after a couple weeks, i still have a bit of a aching back. i've been working out since this happened as it isn't horribly painful, but by this point, it's just annoying. you guys think it'll go away on its own, or should i take a week or 2 off from the gym?

TIA.
    i represent angry, gun-toting, meat-eating ****ing people!

oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oark is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Where is the pain? Does it feel like your spine hurts, or a pulled muscle?

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    take a week off and re-evaluate it.
    Booo

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you lift your back off the bench or arch your back to help you get the weight up? If so make sure you keep your back flat against the bench, if you don't you could really hurt your back. I used to do it all the time but I fixed that problem.

Another real problem with arching your back... when your doing incline you end up flattening out your chest this way, making it virtually a flat bench.

As for taking time off from the gym, I had a pulled my back rushing my way through barbell rows a few weeks ago so I wouldn't be late for class. It was nothing bad, just an annoying pain. But it did go away and I didn't stop working out. I'd say only do this if its real minor, and you have to really be careful.

Only thing is though you've had this for a few weeks already, mine healed after like 2 weeks. So you probably should take time off because it doesn't seem to be healing like it should.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    take a week off and re-evaluate it.
    bump... you must be arching the back...

tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah, i took off today, and i'm planning on taking off a week and seeing how it goes - i think 1 week should be fine, hopefully - its minor.

i do arch my back a lil at the end of my last set, and i really got stuck on a rep or 2 and i twisted my upper body a lil and thats what did it (instead of trying to force that last rep and twisting my upper body, i should have just stopped the set right there.) i always knew that youre not supposed to arch your back, but i always thought a lil arch wasnt too bad. either way, my plan, for when i start back at the gym in a week (2 weeks at the most) is to drop the weight 10 lbs on each db and really focus and concentrate on absolutely PERFECT form.

thnaks guys, i learned some stuff from the few replies i got here, and i'll keep this thread updated with how it "heals."

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    form important. arching is a valid technique, if u know how to do a PROPER arch, which most people don't
    Booo

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    form important. arching is a valid technique, if u know how to do a PROPER arch, which most people don't
    True, but to be honest its not gonna help all that much anyways. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they had someone there with them to show them the technique. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Originally posted by RippedGuitarist
    True, but to be honest its not gonna help all that much anyways. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they had someone there with them to show them the technique. Its better to be safe than sorry.

if you do it properly it can help a bit. but then again, problem is most people don't really know how to do it properly
    Booo

update: i took a week off and felt fine. i did chest today and didnt arch my back at all, and now i feel great.

thanks for the advice guys.

Booo