mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Hypertropy/strength combination

Hello everyone,

I have been reading about hypertropy & strength technique, but im thinking about why not do both in same workout, starting with hypertropy & finishing the set with a stength rep with a rest-pause, lets say the following:

Example:
    Bent over barbell rows:
    3x10-12 sets
    1x5 set rest-pause 15 secs in the final rep

What do you think?
    Does it seem like a good way to trigger both strength & muscle size or its just a waste of time?

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not follow a program like PHUL that has a power upper day, power lower, hypertrophy upper, hypertrophy lower?
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's not the approach I would use.

Strength and hypertrophy are not mortal enemies. They're actually good friends. Muscles get bigger to get stronger. To make strength gains in the long term (once you surpass your ability for neural adaptations), you have to add muscle.

You get stronger by lifting heavy things. You get bigger by lifting close to failure (or to failure for isolations/machine work). Thus, if you want to get bigger and stronger, lift heavy things close to failure, and if you want more volume lift lighter things to failure afterwards.

It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing how strong you are and what your training already looks like, but I can give what I do as an example.

I lift heavy weights for few reps (1-5) for my main compounds, e.g. bench, squat, and dead (I do moderate work for deads once a week), but I stop lifting before I have technique breakdown, i.e. I don't grind out any reps.

Then, I lift at a medium weight and for more reps (5-10) for my assistance compounds, clean and press, pendlay rows, lat pulldowns, good mornings, but I may grind out some reps with these exercises. I try to leave 1 rep in the tank, but sometimes I don't.

Third, I do my hypertrophy/prehab work at a lighter weight with more reps (10-25), e.g. curls, skullcrushers, hanging ab raises, pecfly/reverse fly, leg curl and take these sets to failure.

A day might look like this:
    heavy squats
    heavy bench
    medium pendlay rows
    light leg curls
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're trying to fit both high-rep and low-rep stuff in your workout, start with the low-rep compound lifts. Don't do the hypertrophy work first and then move to strength work...being fatigued going into low-rep compound work risks form breakdown and injury. I also think that the term "strength work vs. hypertrophy work" is a false dichotomy since you *will* see size gains off of low-rep work. Ironically, low-rep squats and deads were the *only* thing that seemed to get my legs and glutes to grow. I do high-rep work maybe once per week now.

Eat lots and lift heavy weight and you will get bigger and stronger. No need to overcomplicate it.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mennakatkout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Why not follow a program like PHUL that has a power upper day, power lower, hypertrophy upper, hypertrophy lower?
    I did checked it out, imnot comfortable with upper/lower kind of routine, spliting muscles seems to work better for me.

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    That's not the approach I would use.

Strength and hypertrophy are not mortal enemies. They're actually good friends. Muscles get bigger to get stronger. To make strength gains in the long term (once you surpass your ability for neural adaptations), you have to add muscle.

You get stronger by lifting heavy things. You get bigger by lifting close to failure (or to failure for isolations/machine work). Thus, if you want to get bigger and stronger, lift heavy things close to failure, and if you want more volume lift lighter things to failure afterwards.

It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing how strong you are and what your training already looks like, but I can give what I do as an example.

I lift heavy weights for few reps (1-5) for my main compounds, e.g. bench, squat, and dead (I do moderate work for deads once a week), but I stop lifting before I have technique breakdown, i.e. I don't grind out any reps.

Then, I lift at a medium weight and for more reps (5-10) for my assistance compounds, clean and press, pendlay rows, lat pulldowns, good mornings, but I may grind out some reps with these exercises. I try to leave 1 rep in the tank, but sometimes I don't.

Third, I do my hypertrophy/prehab work at a lighter weight with more reps (10-25), e.g. curls, skullcrushers, hanging ab raises, pecfly/reverse fly, leg curl and take these sets to failure.

A day might look like this:
    heavy squats
    heavy bench
    medium pendlay rows
    light leg curls
    I know that both hypertropy & strength are closely related thats why i thought why not combine both since i dun have that much muscle mass and i believe i need to improve my strength but however I definitely like your approach.

Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    If you're trying to fit both high-rep and low-rep stuff in your workout, start with the low-rep compound lifts. Don't do the hypertrophy work first and then move to strength work...being fatigued going into low-rep compound work risks form breakdown and injury. I also think that the term "strength work vs. hypertrophy work" is a false dichotomy since you *will* see size gains off of low-rep work. Ironically, low-rep squats and deads were the *only* thing that seemed to get my legs and glutes to grow. I do high-rep work maybe once per week now.

Eat lots and lift heavy weight and you will get bigger and stronger. No need to overcomplicate it.
    I read abt low rep first but in practice starting with a low rep in my opiniom put more load on joints rather than the muscle and hence i worry abt the upcoming hypertropy reps.

Eating more will definitely get me bigger no matter what approach i use however i have been using hypertropy for like a year and half, ofcourse i have put on some muscles but i still feel my lifts r kind of weak so i thought maybe going for some strength reps in my workout will give it a push instead of periodizing strength then hypertropy cycle.

Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    just alter intensity/volume
    either 5/3/1 BBB
    or what i'm doing is juggernaut which is 10x5 or 10x3 with high volume accessory work
    IG: kenneth_prime

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Depending on what your lifts are, you may not need separate strength/hypertrophy work. For novices/early intermediates (I define this by how fast you can progress not how long you've been lifting) it makes little to no difference.

If you like more split routines, I would check out this PPL routine and if you want a body part split, check out Max OT. It's a high intensity training program, so you should get size and strength gains, as that's it's purpose
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01