CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Ditching my bro split... Couple questions

I'm going to swap my 4/5 day bro split routine for Eric Helms, Upper Lower routine. I have a few questions though. I feel like I need to work my abs even though the program doesn't call for any direct abdominal work. What do you guys think about me adding two exercises to the end of the lower days? Id do obliques on one of the lower days and rectus abdominis on the other. Also the plan only calls for 3 sets of per exercise in most cases. Does that include warmup sets? Do I just start with working sets? Currently on my bro split I do 5 sets, 2 warm up sets and 3 working sets. Would that be an issue other then the additional time it would take? Also the first upper day calls for the bench press while tge second calls for flat DB press. Id rather not bench without a spot. Would I be stupid to just do flat DB presses both days?
    Here is the plan I'm going to follow minus the abdominal additions. Suggest any substitutes you might use if you were doing the same program. Also if you've followed this program in the past or are right now, tell me about you experience.

Monday Upper 1:
    Bench 4x 4-6
    Row 3x 6-8
    Incline DB 3x 8-12
    Pull ups 3x 8-12
    Triceps 3x 8-12
    Biceps 3x 8-12
    Lateral Raise 3x 8-12

Tuesday Lower 1
    Squat or Deadlift 4x 4-6
    Leg extension 3x 8-12
    Leg curl 3x 8-12
    Standing calf 4x 6-8

Thursday Upper 2
    Flat Dumbbell Press 3x 8-12
    Lat Pull Down 3x 8-12
    Over Head Press 3x 8-12
    Row 3x 8-12
    Chest Flys 2x 12-15
    Triceps 2x 12-15
    Biceps 2x 12-15

Friday Lower 2
    Leg Press 3x 8-12
    RDL 3x 8-12
    Leg extension 3x 8-12
    Leg curl 3 x 8-12
    Seated calf 4x 8-12
    Last edited by CasnOwns; 02-05-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    God is good, all the time

team 3DMJ enthusiast

#casoncheffreyowens

#casnpowr

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CasnOwns View Post
    I'm going to swap my 4/5 day bro split routine for Eric Helms, Upper Lower routine. I have a few questions though. I feel like I need to work my abs even though the program doesn't call for any direct abdominal work. What do you guys think about me adding two exercises to the end of the lower days? Id do obliques on one of the lower days and rectus abdominis on the other. Also the plan only calls for 3 sets of per exercise in most cases. Does that include warmup sets? Do I just start with working sets? Currently on my bro split I do 5 sets, 2 warm up sets and 3 working sets. Would that be an issue other then the additional time it would take? Also the first upper day calls for the bench press while tge second calls for flat DB press. Id rather not bench without a spot. Would I be stupid to just do flat DB presses both days?
    Here is the plan I'm going to follow minus the abdominal additions. Suggest any substitutes you might use if you were doing the same program. Also if you've followed this program in the past or are right now, tell me about you experience.
    Good choice on routine. Questions answered in order:
    - Sure, adding ab work at end of lower days is fine
    - The 3 sets is work sets, add warmups as needed. 2 warmup sets like your current routine is fine if it's working for you now. A lot of people find that on a UL split with the overlap each day they only need to warm up the first couple exercises.
    - Flat DB press both days is fine
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169283793

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by banjoman23 View Post
    Good choice on routine. Questions answered in order:
    - Sure, adding ab work at end of lower days is fine
    - The 3 sets is work sets, add warmups as needed. 2 warmup sets like your current routine is fine if it's working for you now. A lot of people find that on a UL split with the overlap each day they only need to warm up the first couple exercises.
    - Flat DB press both days is fine
    ^ This
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CasnOwns is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A lot of people find that on a UL split with the overlap each day they only need to warm up the first couple exercises.
    Overlap? I don't understand what you mean here...

team 3DMJ enthusiast

#casoncheffreyowens

#casnpowr

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CasnOwns View Post
    Overlap? I don't understand what you mean here...
    For example, on Upper day after you've finished your first two compounds of a flat press and a row, pretty much all of the primary chest/shoulder/back muscles have now had some solid work. Not everyone would still need warmups at that point for incline press and pullups. Some do, some don't, depends.

For example, on Upper day after you've finished your first two compounds of a flat press and a row, pretty much all of the primary chest/shoulder/back muscles have now had some solid work. Not everyone would still need warmups at that point for incline press and pullups. Some do, some don't, depends.
    Just finished the workout and realized what you meant when I got past the flat press and rows.

Now my question would be, because that really speeds up the routine, I ended up doing 3 sets of shrugs and a couple flat bench sets on the smith cage to finish, any issue there? I'll probably opt for dips in the future rather than the smith and alternate the shrugs with upright rows.

team 3DMJ enthusiast

#casoncheffreyowens

#casnpowr

Well you've already had an awful lot of upper body muscle stimulation on the day, but if you feel like you can tack on more at the end and it'd benefit you, fire away.

OT, but if your goal is aesthetics, you'd be amazed at how much of a difference a shave would make.

Well you've already had an awful lot of upper body muscle stimulation on the day, but if you feel like you can tack on more at the end and it'd benefit you, fire away.

OT, but if your goal is aesthetics, you'd be amazed at how much of a difference a shave would make.
    I'll keep that in mind. Thank you

team 3DMJ enthusiast

#casoncheffreyowens

#casnpowr

Alright so I've completed upper and lower A routines. Planning some minor tweaks but I'm happy with the routine thus far. Yesterday I wasn't sure about it as I didn't feel as fatigued post work out as I usually do after a bro split day. Today though my upper body does feel like it had a good work out. Is this particular routine a good one for hypertrophy? I only just learned what hypertrophy is and am very interested.

team 3DMJ enthusiast

#casoncheffreyowens

#casnpowr