ReverendWolfe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trap Bar: Squat Lifts and RDL

I have incorporated the big compound moves (bench press, military press, barbell rows) into my workout, but in an effort to save my back, knees and other joints I prefer the trap bar for squats and deadlifts. I am aware that the basic move is a combination of a squat/deadlift but after reviewing some videos on the use of the trap bar, I am going to give the Romanian DL version a try along with the normal squat/lift. This should hit my quads, hamstrings and glutes between the two exercises.

Does anyone have any experience with doing both of these styles with the trap bar?

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do you have an olympic bar?
    Was friends with Methuselah

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been diong the squat/dl lift with trapbar for the last two sessions due to a nagging knee pain on regular backs quats. I stand on 2" plates so as to get lower down in the start position and do "touch and go" instead of resetting.

I does hit the quads fairly hard and I was jelly legged after the first time. I started light and worked up towards what my max would be on back squats.

I wouldn't say it's a perfect alternative to back squats as you don't get as low, but for me, it is pretty close. I did some weighted hyper extensions to make up a bit for the work that the core and lower back do in back squats.

YMMV :-)
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I use a trap bar

Takes some getting used to - like all exercises, but works well for me, definitely in the quads.

Good Luck

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just started with the trap bar last week. I like the feel (since I've had knee and lower back issues for years) I was concerned I wouldn't be going low enough but what I do to compensate is to use multiples of smaller plates (25lb or less) because the 35's and 45's bring the bar's starting position too high.
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by akaMarko View Post
    I just started with the trap bar last week. I like the feel (since I've had knee and lower back issues for years) I was concerned I wouldn't be going low enough but what I do to compensate is to use multiples of smaller plates (25lb or less) because the 35's and 45's bring the bar's starting position too high.
    I enjoy doing these also. For $10 or less you can build a 3" - 4" wood platform to lift from which will make up for the raised handles most trap bars have.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel