djphatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Macros for 20%+ body fat

I am planning on starting weight training and am looking to calculate the correct calorie intake and macros before moving on a meal plan.

I recently read the book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews which was an interesting read and I will likely follow the 3 day push/pull/legs routine he suggests and referencing back to the book . However after doing further research on dieting I am left confused on the correct way to calculate my macros.

Here are my details:
    Male
    Height: 5ft 7" (170cm)
    Weight: 164lbs / 75kg
    Bodyfat: 24%
    Lean Weight: ~ 125lbs / 57kg

I have my BMR and TDEE as follows using an activity of 1.2, I work a desk job and have been doing cardio for 3 hours a week for the last month or so:

BMR: 1599
    TDEE: 1918

My goal is reduce body fat and build some strength and the recommendation being 20% reduction of TDEE making my target 1535.

The confusion around calculating macros is that different material suggest using total body weight and others lean body weight. For example the sticky Calculating Calories and Macronutrients suggests lean body weight, which I believe is the correct way, whereas the sticky Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads suggest total body weight but as the thread goes along suggest otherwise. The book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger also suggests total body weight.

Depending on which method I have different results:

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients suggestions:
    Protein (1g per lb LBM): 116g, Fat (0.4 per lb LBM): 46g, Carbs: 164g

Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads suggestions:
    Protein (1g per lb BW): 164g, Fat (0.5 per lb BW): 82g, Carbs: 35g

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger using over 25% body fat suggestions which calculates to 1361 total calories:
    Protein (0.8g per lb BW): 131g, Fat (0.3g per BW): 49g, Carbs: 98g

Looking at above figures my instinct tells me that the first one is more accurate and what I should be aiming for.

Help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by djphatic View Post
    I am planning on starting weight training and am looking to calculate the correct calorie intake and macros before moving on a meal plan.

I recently read the book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews which was an interesting read and I will likely follow the 3 day push/pull/legs routine he suggests and referencing back to the book . However after doing further research on dieting I am left confused on the correct way to calculate my macros.

Here are my details:
    Male
    Height: 5ft 7" (170cm)
    Weight: 164lbs / 75kg
    Bodyfat: 24%
    Lean Weight: ~ 125lbs / 57kg

I have my BMR and TDEE as follows using an activity of 1.2, I work a desk job and have been doing cardio for 3 hours a week for the last month or so:

BMR: 1599
    TDEE: 1918

My goal is reduce body fat and build some strength and the recommendation being 20% reduction of TDEE making my target 1535.

The confusion around calculating macros is that different material suggest using total body weight and others lean body weight. For example the sticky Calculating Calories and Macronutrients suggests lean body weight, which I believe is the correct way, whereas the sticky Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads suggest total body weight but as the thread goes along suggest otherwise. The book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger also suggests total body weight.

Depending on which method I have different results:

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients suggestions:
    Protein (1g per lb LBM): 116g, Fat (0.4 per lb LBM): 46g, Carbs: 164g

Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads suggestions:
    Protein (1g per lb BW): 164g, Fat (0.5 per lb BW): 82g, Carbs: 35g

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger using over 25% body fat suggestions which calculates to 1361 total calories:
    Protein (0.8g per lb BW): 131g, Fat (0.3g per BW): 49g, Carbs: 98g

Looking at above figures my instinct tells me that the first one is more accurate and what I should be aiming for.

Help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Well it has finally happened, someone has read the stickies!

Okay so for starters the recommendations for proteins and fat in the Calculating Macros sticky are minimums, so it's a good idea to plan a diet higher than those amounts. Personally, I like to have at least a 10g buffer. Also keep in mind that the TDEE you calculated is a shot in the dark and a fantastic starting point, but depending on your goal you'll need to go by what you see in the mirror and on the scale and adjust accordingly.

Other than that it looks like you're on the right track. Just be sure a majority of your diet consists of a variety of mostly whole foods.
    "Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” - Harvey McKay

What is IIFYM? Read post #8 by HunterCML:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152492113