Jrocks09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking towards the future

Iv been in the industry for about five years and have trained clients in several states. I still consider myself green behind the ears. All that being said lets take a look at the future.

Trainers cant yet tap into the wealth and network of insurance companies. Why? Is it because we have too many schools of thought and philosophy? My wife is in the mental health field and I use to think it was a joke until I saw everything she was doing. It took years but the field pulled together a national standard that all their therapists had to come under. Now therapists network with doctors and medical units along with call centers to exchange clients and get them exactly what they need.

What do you think it would take for the training field to be looked at more seriously? How can we begin as a health and wellness field to weed out and grow into what we should be? Hope this can generate constructive conversation.

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jrocks09 View Post
    What do you think it would take for the training field to be looked at more seriously? How can we begin as a health and wellness field to weed out and grow into what we should be? Hope this can generate constructive conversation.
    Join individuals like me and criticize the fitness industry for what it is. Not only this......but DEMAND BETTER.

I believe the lack of education is mainly to blame. We have trainers running around with 2 day workshop certs or certs obtained through some organization online. We can't just have any joe schmo walk in and become a personal trainer. His lack of education will drag the industry down. Why else do you think big chain gyms get away with paying personal trainers like $10/hr? Because we have bottom feeders willing to work for that.

I don't have all the solutions. But the status quo cannot remain. Fitness is a billionaire dollar industry.....yet its not covered by health insurance nor is the population receiving a huge benefit. (Overweight/Obesity rates still around 66%).