EdwardBodette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trimming my body fat...advice please

Hi everyone, I’m new here and wanted your advice on some things. I’m going to be as detailed as possible, so sorry for the long wall of words. First post consists of the facts, and second post will be my questions for you guys. Any help is MUCH appreciated.
    - 27 year old male
    - Height: 5’5, Weight: 143lbs
    - Started working out 3 years ago (with varying degrees of consistently), went from around 127lbs to 143lbs
    - The weights I’m lifting (while still pales in comparison to most at the gym) have increased quite a bit from where I first started
    - I’ve never really done much cardio until now, though when I do I am generally pretty “good” at it (I go for longer and more intensity then everyone around me at the gym...I have good stamina).

Anyways, the reason why I’m here today is I’ve had enough with half-assing it in terms of my diet. I have NEVER made a food plan or counted calories/macronutrients and I figure I should start RIGHT NOW. My goal is to basically have a good body (obviously)…which I consider to be having a lean body with noticeable muscles and abs showing. I am NOT aiming for being huge or getting huge muscles, but still want to have some size. So I’m 5’5 and weigh 143lbs. My goal is probably to be at 150lbs max (since I’m short) but with only half my current body fat %. I’m not really sure how to calculate my %, but I consider myself to be “skinny-fat”, meaning I don’t look fat at all but I have a fair bit of “love handles” and overall fat all around my body.

My current diet is below. Format of the numbers is calories, fat (g), carbs (g), protein (g).
    2 servings of rice = 410, 1, 88, 5
    2 servings of mixed veggies = 240, 0.5, 50, 11
    2 servings of meat = 304, 10, 0, 50
    4 slices of bread = 400, 4.5, 81, 12
    2 slices of deli meat = 50, 0.5, 1, 10
    2 slices of cheese = 140, 10, 3, 6
    2 yogurt cups = 180, 3, 32, 8
    2 fruits = 210, 0, 53, 2
    1 bagel = 250, 1, 4, 9
    1 egg = 70, 5, 1, 6
    2 glasses of milk = 260, 10, 24, 18

Total = 2514 calories, 45.5 grams of fat, 337 grams of carbs, 137 grams of protein
    Some of the info I found on the nutritional labels of my food, others I found on the internet, so numbers may not be 100% accurate.

My current workout routine is:
    Day 1: Chest/Triceps
    Day 2: Legs/Abs
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Back/Biceps
    Day 5: Shoulders/Abs
    Day 6: Cardio
    The cardio was just recently added in.

1) As I said above, I wish to increase my weight eventually to ~150lbs but also reduce my body fat % to probably half of what it currently is. I understand it is extremely hard to gain muscle while also losing weight at the same time, so I am not going to try and do that. That being said, would you guys suggest first to cut weight to lower my body fat % to where I want it to be, and only once that is achieved, start to gain muscle again?

2) I believe calories are made up of carbs, fat, and protein. When we do cardio to burn calories, are all 3 being burned off?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, does this mean I’m certain to lose muscle if I have a calorie deficit even if I continue to lift weights? Or can I still maintain the muscle if I eat high-protein foods (e.g. 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight) while having a calorie deficit?

4) If losing weight is simply using more calories than I put into my body, how do we know how much calories is being used in my daily life (e.g. from every-day walking, sitting at my computer at work, exercising at the gym, etc). Is using an online calculator the only way? I was looking at one online (can't link it as it says I need 50+ posts on this forum..) and it says I need 2,675 calories to maintain my weight or 2,175 to lose 1lb per week. I chose the “very active” option as I’m at the gym 6 times a week working high intensity (but I’m not very active outside of the gym so maybe I should choose “moderately active” instead?).

5) Let’s say I do a calorie deficit every day, meaning I’m lowering my current calorie intake and also doing a good amount of cardio every day. I’m not really knowledgeable about MMA but I know the fighters can lose 20 or so lbs before weigh-in but it’s basically all water weight (and they replenish it right after). Would this in any way be similar to that? It would suck if a lot of it was just water weight I’m losing. I want to lose my actual fat.

6) Let’s say I need to lose 15lbs to get to my desired body fat %. Is there a difference whether I lose 1lb per week or 2lbs per week (or more) to achieve that? Obviously I wish to get there as fast as possible, and I know I would have no problems with lowering my calorie intake and doing moderate/intense cardio every single day.

7) Should I continue to still lift some weights while doing cardio? As per my first post, I basically work out each muscle group once per week (with fairly high intensity). Should I just completely stop this until I’m at the body fat % I want? Should I maybe work them out once every two weeks? Or just keep it the same and just add cardio every day? Or maybe have one day a week where I work each muscle group? I ask because I really don’t want to lose the muscle I’ve gained.

8) Finally, which foods I listed above would you suggest removing?

Any other advice you have is VERY much appreciated.

codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by EdwardBodette View Post
    1) As I said above, I wish to increase my weight eventually to ~150lbs but also reduce my body fat % to probably half of what it currently is. I understand it is extremely hard to gain muscle while also losing weight at the same time, so I am not going to try and do that. That being said, would you guys suggest first to cut weight to lower my body fat % to where I want it to be, and only once that is achieved, start to gain muscle again?

2) I believe calories are made up of carbs, fat, and protein. When we do cardio to burn calories, are all 3 being burned off?

3) If the answer to #2 is yes, does this mean I’m certain to lose muscle if I have a calorie deficit even if I continue to lift weights? Or can I still maintain the muscle if I eat high-protein foods (e.g. 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight) while having a calorie deficit?

4) If losing weight is simply using more calories than I put into my body, how do we know how much calories is being used in my daily life (e.g. from every-day walking, sitting at my computer at work, exercising at the gym, etc). Is using an online calculator the only way? I was looking at one online (can't link it as it says I need 50+ posts on this forum..) and it says I need 2,675 calories to maintain my weight or 2,175 to lose 1lb per week. I chose the “very active” option as I’m at the gym 6 times a week working high intensity (but I’m not very active outside of the gym so maybe I should choose “moderately active” instead?).

5) Let’s say I do a calorie deficit every day, meaning I’m lowering my current calorie intake and also doing a good amount of cardio every day. I’m not really knowledgeable about MMA but I know the fighters can lose 20 or so lbs before weigh-in but it’s basically all water weight (and they replenish it right after). Would this in any way be similar to that? It would suck if a lot of it was just water weight I’m losing. I want to lose my actual fat.

6) Let’s say I need to lose 15lbs to get to my desired body fat %. Is there a difference whether I lose 1lb per week or 2lbs per week (or more) to achieve that? Obviously I wish to get there as fast as possible, and I know I would have no problems with lowering my calorie intake and doing moderate/intense cardio every single day.

7) Should I continue to still lift some weights while doing cardio? As per my first post, I basically work out each muscle group once per week (with fairly high intensity). Should I just completely stop this until I’m at the body fat % I want? Should I maybe work them out once every two weeks? Or just keep it the same and just add cardio every day? Or maybe have one day a week where I work each muscle group? I ask because I really don’t want to lose the muscle I’ve gained.

8) Finally, which foods I listed above would you suggest removing?

Any other advice you have is VERY much appreciated.

Above all, you should upload a picture so we can all see your body composition. Hard to give advice without so.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Arizona Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays | Winnipeg Jets

Originally Posted by codsterlaing95 View Post
    Above all, you should upload a picture so we can all see your body composition. Hard to give advice without so.
    Thanks, here are 3 pictures I took with my body being in a relaxed state. I'm thinking around 20% body fat?
    Attached Images

jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You could always try intermittent fasting. Cardio might not even be necessary since I doubt your body fat % is even that high.

codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) codsterlaing95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're only 5'5 and your bf % is 16-18%. If I were you, I'd cut 1 lb/week for 10 weeks or so and see where you end up. Make sure to progress on your lifts in the gym and get enough protein/fat in your diet.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Hi everyone, I’m new here and wanted your advice on some things. I’m going to be as detailed as possible, so sorry for the long wall of words. First post consists of the facts, and second post will be my questions for you guys. Any help is MUCH appreciated.
    - 27 year old male
    - Height: 5’5, Weight: 143lbs
    - Started working out 3 years ago (with varying degrees of consistently), went from around 127lbs to 143lbs
    - The weights I’m lifting (while still pales in comparison to most at the gym) have increased quite a bit from where I first started
    - I’ve never really done much cardio until now, though when I do I am generally pretty “good” at it (I go for longer and more intensity then everyone around me at the gym...I have good stamina).

Anyways, the reason why I’m here today is I’ve had enough with half-assing it in terms of my diet. I have NEVER made a food plan or counted calories/macronutrients and I figure I should start RIGHT NOW. My goal is to basically have a good body (obviously)…which I consider to be having a lean body with noticeable muscles and abs showing. I am NOT aiming for being huge or getting huge muscles, but still want to have some size. So I’m 5’5 and weigh 143lbs. My goal is probably to be at 150lbs max (since I’m short) but with only half my current body fat %. I’m not really sure how to calculate my %, but I consider myself to be “skinny-fat”, meaning I don’t look fat at all but I have a fair bit of “love handles” and overall fat all around my body.

My current diet is below. Format of the numbers is calories, fat (g), carbs (g), protein (g).
    2 servings of rice = 410, 1, 88, 5
    2 servings of mixed veggies = 240, 0.5, 50, 11
    2 servings of meat = 304, 10, 0, 50
    4 slices of bread = 400, 4.5, 81, 12
    2 slices of deli meat = 50, 0.5, 1, 10
    2 slices of cheese = 140, 10, 3, 6
    2 yogurt cups = 180, 3, 32, 8
    2 fruits = 210, 0, 53, 2
    1 bagel = 250, 1, 4, 9
    1 egg = 70, 5, 1, 6
    2 glasses of milk = 260, 10, 24, 18

Total = 2514 calories, 45.5 grams of fat, 337 grams of carbs, 137 grams of protein
    Some of the info I found on the nutritional labels of my food, others I found on the internet, so numbers may not be 100% accurate.

My current workout routine is:
    Day 1: Chest/Triceps
    Day 2: Legs/Abs
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Back/Biceps
    Day 5: Shoulders/Abs
    Day 6: Cardio
    The cardio was just recently added in.

Your fat is way too low. At 143 lbs, you should be consuming 60g minimum, more ideally 65-70g.

jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your BF % is lower than 20. I fluctuate between 20 - 22 and am extremely fat. Since your BF % isn't that high you don't have to focus on cardio a lot. Just eat at a caloric deficit while getting high amounts of protein. If your schedule allows for it and you can afford supplements you can always try lifting in the morning in a fasted state and drink BCAAs during your workout. I hear carb cycling helps too but have no personal experience with it (started doing it this week to try it out)
    Thanks, here are 3 pictures I took with my body being in a relaxed state. I'm thinking around 20% body fat?

I think my body fat % is higher then you think. Those pictures don't really do it justice. Like when I sit down, it's just a big blob of fat around the waist. Or when I twist my body a bit, it's rolls of fat there. Etc. My actual muscle mass is probably less than you think. Regardless of what body fat % it actually is, all I know is there is a lot of fat I wish to get rid of.

You're only 5'5 and your bf % is 16-18%. If I were you, I'd cut 1 lb/week for 10 weeks or so and see where you end up. Make sure to progress on your lifts in the gym and get enough protein/fat in your diet.
    What do you mean by progressing on my lifts...like keep doing heavier and heavier weights? So you're suggesting to go on a deficit but still put on muscle? I don't know, I don't think I'd be able to do that.

Your fat is way too low. At 143 lbs, you should be consuming 60g minimum, more ideally 65-70g.
    What kind of food would you recommend?

EBickford1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't even worry about cutting right now. I'd focus on putting more size on. Once you cut, you will probably want to gain more muscle, which could mean putting some of the fat back on (damn near impossible not to). Your BF is low enough now where you could bulk for another month or 3 and still have time to cut for summer with some noticeable gains made.

Here's a better picture of my fat. Sexy eh? Granted I'm sucking in my stomach a bit, but still...
    And also, like when I'm on top of a girl, my stomach hangs out so much, it's gross.
    And just in general, like my pecs have man boobs when they're relaxed, my butt has a lot of fat, etc etc.
    Attached Images

You are nowhere near having man boobs my friend. Take it from a guy who's overweight and has gynecomastia: those aren't man boobs. If it's bothering you that much, the main thing you gotta remember is to eat at a caloric deficit. You can try adding a couple of HIIT cardio sessions a week after lifting, or if you really wanna drop the weight quicker and just maintain your muscle mass you might wanna try lifting MWF and doing cardio Sun, tue, and thur. Just keep your protein intake high and if you have a hard time doing that then take some BCAAs.

ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000) ibimusbtms is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had liposuction done on that area when I hit 47. Made all the difference in the world