jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtwlson1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doing something different with my life, thoughts on this plan?

First some history:
    - 25 years old
    - associates degree in business administration
    - training seriously for ~5 years
    - Currently work as a chef

So, I have a large desire to break into the fitness world in the form of personal training and nutrition. My initial thought was to get a PT cert and begin working at a local gym to build a client base and also gain some experience. While that is going on, I'll go back to school to get a bachelors degree in nutrition while getting a minor in business admin because it wont take much extra work to minor in it. once I graduate with my bachelors I'd like to put both of them together and offer both nutrition and training guidance working for myself.

Now, I'm sure this will be much harder than it sounds like it should be. That being said, what am I missing or forgetting? I'm not looking at cutting any corners or fast tracking, I want to be as successful as possible (obviously) and I am aware that will take quite a bit of time which I am fine with. I would like to get my first PT cert by May which I am thinking should be an ample amount of time.

Thank you for your time and any guidance you have to offer

Jrocks09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jtwlson1 View Post
    First some history:
    - 25 years old
    - associates degree in business administration
    - training seriously for ~5 years
    - Currently work as a chef

So, I have a large desire to break into the fitness world in the form of personal training and nutrition. My initial thought was to get a PT cert and begin working at a local gym to build a client base and also gain some experience. While that is going on, I'll go back to school to get a bachelors degree in nutrition while getting a minor in business admin because it wont take much extra work to minor in it. once I graduate with my bachelors I'd like to put both of them together and offer both nutrition and training guidance working for myself.

Now, I'm sure this will be much harder than it sounds like it should be. That being said, what am I missing or forgetting? I'm not looking at cutting any corners or fast tracking, I want to be as successful as possible (obviously) and I am aware that will take quite a bit of time which I am fine with. I would like to get my first PT cert by May which I am thinking should be an ample amount of time.

Thank you for your time and any guidance you have to offer
    Hey man! That's awesome your looking into the field. I just want you to consider a few things first before going to school.

What is your retirement plan? If your ask any trainer often times you will find no one makes enough to save for retirement working for a gym. Gyms provide great learning experience and I highly recommend them. But long term you need to evaluate if first you have the skill sets to launch your own business and second are you willing to take the risk and sacrifice along with it. Its a hard long road but worth it if you stay positive and surround yourself with the right people.

My advice is keep the chef job and start off with the cert and see if you like the field working part time. That will allow you to have a stable income and see if this is really for you. Give it a year and if you find its your thing then invest in further education in college. Other wise you may end up with a lot of debt and a career you didn't really want to work in. Start small and go from there. Hope this helps!