MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

New Study on dieting to gain fat build muscle with high protein and low cals

Can anyone help me better understand the numbers and if/how this might apply to 'older' people?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...jcn.115.119339

Few concerns and things I don't quite understand:

1. Study used 'young men' though doesn't elaborate on age. I'd say it's safe to assume though that I'm not in that age range so wondering how that might matter.

2. Study says they used a 40% reduction in calories versus requirements but then goes on to say they provided 33 kcals per kg of LBM. A 40% reduction for me would be 60% X 2500 cals = 1500. Using the 33 kcal number * my LBM of 67 kg = 2200 cals. I know from experience that 2200 kcal/day is a slow cut for me. I'm assuming that the 33 cal number is because of the age of the participants.

3. What the heck does this equation mean? higher-protein (2.4 g · kg-1 · d−1) My thoughts are 2.5g protein * weight (in kg) but no idea what the 'd' means or what the exponent -1 means in this context. Ideas?

In sum, what do you make of this study and how it applies to us older guys?

I know I am lacking muscle mass anyway and should be more concerned with gaining muscle but at %20 bodyfat it's just not acceptable to me and the past 5 years have been a horrible cycle of putting on 20lbs, slowly dropping it off only to end up worse than I started so I'm looking to switch to some very quick/tough cutting cycles of 3-4 weeks with 4-6 months of moderate calorie surplus in between.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrNismo View Post
    Can anyone help me better understand the numbers and if/how this might apply to 'older' people?

1. Study used 'young men' though doesn't elaborate on age. I'd say it's safe to assume though that I'm not in that age range so wondering how that might matter.
    Studies typically use college students as they will take part in any study for a few bucks. Your age is not an issue in this regard, you are in your 40's, not your 90's.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Studies typically use college students as they will take part in any study for a few bucks. Your age is not an issue in this regard, you are in your 40's, not your 90's.
    I figured age wasn't a huge factor in this study so thanks for confirming!