Thread: Poland Syndrome

lempan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Poland Syndrome

Hey! I?ve been weight-training for a couple of years now, and I make some progress I have to say. But one thing that has never made any progress is my benchpressing. This I think is due to the thing I suffer from called "Poland Syndrome". This means that your missing either a limb or a muscle of some sort. In my case, I?m missing my left pec.

I have been training some sort of sport in my whole life, and I can?t live without training. I?ve been doing everything from soccer to martial arts, and now weight-trainging, that I love very much, because you can decide exactly how your going to approach your training and in wich speed you want your body to make progress. It?s all up to yourself. But I always have this disease that puts me down in a dark place, and make me question myself and my training. Why do I train? I?m never gonna look okay anyway, so why do I bother...

I especially drown myself in these thoughts when I read Flex or watch wrestling or MMA or something like that. These guys remind me that I?m never gonna look normal. I mean I have an implant on my left side, but that is much smaller than my right one, since I?m training so much. And I now people look at me in a strange way, cause it looks kind of weird. Especially when I take my shirt off in the locker-room. But no one ever says or mention anything about it...

So, I want to know if there is anyone outthere with the same problem I have, in whatever sport it may be, Bodybuilding, MMA, Hockey, Football. You name it! Just write me a line and tell me how you deal with it.

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Never let a limitation hold you back. You have to believe in yourself all the way. Read the following quotation and think about he very last line.

"Other important bodybuilders in the early history of bodybuilding prior to 1930 include: Earle Liederman (writer of some of the earliest bodybuilding instruction books), Seigmund Breitbart (famous Jewish bodybuilder), Georg Hackenschmidt, George F. Jowett, Maxick (a pioneer in the art of posing), Monte Saldo, Launceston Elliot, Sig Klein, Sgt. Alfred Moss, Joe Nordquist, Lionel Strongfort (Strongfortism), Gustav Fristensky (the Czech champion), and Alan C. Mead, who became an impressive muscle champion despite the fact that he lost a leg in the Great War.""

(Source: http://www.tranquillizer.co.uk/bodyb...g-history.html )

There is currently a bodybuilder who only has one leg. I remember he made a guest apperance at the Mr. O in 2005. He is an inspiration. I also know of a blind bodybuilder, who is also a very successful personal trainer.

You can think about yourself in two ways: you can say, "it's not worth it...." and quit now, or you can put your limitations to one side and push yourself to be the absolute best that you can be.

Which is it going to be?
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by lempan View Post
    Hey! I?ve been weight-training for a couple of years now, and I make some progress I have to say. But one thing that has never made any progress is my benchpressing. This I think is due to the thing I suffer from called "Poland Syndrome". This means that your missing either a limb or a muscle of some sort. In my case, I?m missing my left pec.

I have been training some sort of sport in my whole life, and I can?t live without training. I?ve been doing everything from soccer to martial arts, and now weight-trainging, that I love very much, because you can decide exactly how your going to approach your training and in wich speed you want your body to make progress. It?s all up to yourself. But I always have this disease that puts me down in a dark place, and make me question myself and my training. Why do I train? I?m never gonna look okay anyway, so why do I bother...

I especially drown myself in these thoughts when I read Flex or watch wrestling or MMA or something like that. These guys remind me that I?m never gonna look normal. I mean I have an implant on my left side, but that is much smaller than my right one, since I?m training so much. And I now people look at me in a strange way, cause it looks kind of weird. Especially when I take my shirt off in the locker-room. But no one ever says or mention anything about it...

So, I want to know if there is anyone outthere with the same problem I have, in whatever sport it may be, Bodybuilding, MMA, Hockey, Football. You name it! Just write me a line and tell me how you deal with it.
    Look at the sticky in the pictures section of a guy without any arms.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=523356

Registered User 495081 Drop_Dead's Avatar
    Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000) Drop_Dead is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just thought id throw in that there is/was? a guy that had only one pec that did pretty good in MMA i think he even got a title shot in UFC forget his name tho.

lempan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Drop_Dead View Post
    Just thought id throw in that there is/was? a guy that had only one pec that did pretty good in MMA i think he even got a title shot in UFC forget his name tho.
    Yeah, now that you mention it i think I have seen a match with that guy. He injured his chest in a car accident I think?

By the way, thanks for your support. I know I shouldn?t put myself down, and a lot of the time I dont. If that was the case all the time, I wouldnt be training now. But I lose myself sometimes, and now I can thank you guys for reminding me that I am not alone with such a problem. Thanks again!!

smunn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey i got poland syndrome, missing right pec. My advice just keep training.
    Last edited by smunn; 05-21-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironstone- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Has anybody informed Mr Angry about this? I mean he does have strong polish good looks and all..

Where is Delta? Oh, wait WEAKA5HELL's Avatar
    WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Screw you, leave the trolls out of here we have enough all ready.
    Ladies and gentlemen please, would you bring your attention to me, for a feast for your eyes to see, an explosion of catastrophe, like nothing you've ever seen before, watch closely as I open this door, your jaws will be on the floor, after this you'll be begging for more.

Fellow New Orleanian! neworleans's Avatar
    neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500) neworleans is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Originally Posted by smunn View Post
    Hey i got poland syndrome, missing right pec. My advice just keep training.

i think yall are the same people -_- notice the low post count ..what are the chances....but if you are for real, i remember when i broke my arm. i felt so useless. i can't imagine missing a pec. i don't know what i would do but keep on training your hardest.
    ATL Falcons
    Milwaukee Brewers
    LeGoat

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tra tellingmen was the UFC fighter without a pec. did damn good to.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

cyrusgod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sorry to dig up an old thread..

First post but an important issue I think.. apologies for digging up an old thread but good to hear about other people in the same situation..
    I am actually missing part of my lower right pec.. the muscle is split into two or three parts right?
    Anyway.. I am pretty self conscious but most of my girlfriends said they never noticed and its no big deal.. good people will appreciate you.. just go for it!

05champion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lempan

Lempan, I'm in the exact same position as you only I have no right pec. I'm currently looking at options such as implants etc. Is it worthwhile? Pictures? It would be greatly appreciated because to be honest I have no idea what to do.

P.s your right about the women, I've been with more women than every single one of my mates it makes no difference what so ever!

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    A bling guy climbed Mt. Everest, a guy with no legs skied to the North Pole. Try not to focus on what you cant change and pour your attention to the things you CAN change. No pec....so maybe you wont be a highly succesful "body-builder", but other than bodybuilding, I cant think of a reason you couldnt be succesful and many other sports. pick something you like.

faraz2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes

Same here bro. Affects my bic tri n lat. bummer ain't it

Registered User danielpowers592's Avatar
    danielpowers592 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hey man, I know this was posted 5 years ago but you can't let anything get inside your head like that. I love training so much and recently found out I had Poland syndrome. I ended up bulking from 113 to 200 in around a year. I never had muscle mass so I never saw the problem until I built up my chest. I am unaware if any of you have the syndactyly that is associated with this in most cases. My case of the webbing is very very minor as well as my Poland syndrome. The only thing it has prevented me from doing is joining the Military as they did not accept my hand although it prevents me from nothing, I have been qualified 6 times. I just wanted to say keep your head up and don't let anyone or anything prevent you from doing something that makes you happy.
    Attached Images

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It was posted 10 years ago . . . do you honestly think OP is still following the thread?