Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rollinalong...

rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Second workout of the day.

db curl 3x
    hammer curls 3x
    reverse curls 3x

skulls 4x, two different grips
    overhead extensions 4x, two different grips

lat raises 3x

No increases in weight or reps today so I didn't post them.

rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    did a back workout yesterday. Not much to report, no real strength gains, was dragging ass.

incline bench
    185x12
    155x10
    155x7
    135x8
    135x6

flat bench
    135x10
    135x8
    115x10
    115x6

dips
    bw 3x

flies
    30lbs 4x

Definitely needed some time away from grinding out reps to failure as my strength is coming back out of nowhere. Think I'll keep this light training up for awhile.

front squat
    245x2

back squat
    185x13, 6 drop set to 135 x6

split squats
    bw 4x

wrist curls
    65lbs 4x

alternating hammer curl
    40x10, 6
    30x8

db curl
    30x8,8,8,6 don't know what happened here. Went to failure on all sets and kept strength somehow on subsequent sets. Aint mad.

reverse curl
    30lbs x10,8,8,6

skulls 2 different grips
    bar +30 x20,15,12,10 nice bump in strength here

overhead extensions
    don't remember

supinated rows
    155x10,8
    135x8,7,6

shrugs leaning forward
    135 5x don't remember

Didn't have the energy today to do more than this for back

wrist curls
    65x20,12,8

reverse wrist curls
    40x12,10,7

bb holds
    135 3x

incline bench
    205x1 smoked
    225x0 came out wonky, got too far in front of me

155x10,8,6 drop to 135x6

flat bench
    135x8,7,6

flies
    30lbs 5x

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Since you're active in Kelei's thread, I was expecting rest pause work here. Did you do that in the past and decided not to do it anymore because it was too taxing?
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
    Since you're active in Kelei's thread, I was expecting rest pause work here. Did you do that in the past and decided not to do it anymore because it was too taxing?
    Rest pause works extremely well for me, but there are a couple things holding me back from that. The major issue being a minor pec tear. I still feel it whenever I do any pressing work and heavy pulling and I don't want to push it. The other issue is that I can easily generate enough intensity to hit the overtraining level. I'm assuming I just did not hit the genetic jackpot in this regard. I have been feeling pretty run down and tired for the past month or so and my strength was way down. High intensity is not what I need when I feel this way which is all too familiar. I can tolerate a lot of volume if I'm focused on hitting the muscle rather than just moving a weight from A to B. I can grow just fine training this way, but strength gains are slower and it isn't as fun. Gotta do what I can to get by though.

Front squat
    worked up to a garbage 245x1. Speed was fine, but it didn't feel good.

high bar
    185x8 and then my knee tweaked. low-intensity sharp pain in my lateral left knee. Shut it down from there. Going to go hit arms now.

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rollalong View Post
    Rest pause works extremely well for me, but there are a couple things holding me back from that. The major issue being a minor pec tear. I still feel it whenever I do any pressing work and heavy pulling and I don't want to push it. The other issue is that I can easily generate enough intensity to hit the overtraining level. I'm assuming I just did not hit the genetic jackpot in this regard. I have been feeling pretty run down and tired for the past month or so and my strength was way down. High intensity is not what I need when I feel this way which is all too familiar. I can tolerate a lot of volume if I'm focused on hitting the muscle rather than just moving a weight from A to B. I can grow just fine training this way, but strength gains are slower and it isn't as fun. Gotta do what I can to get by though.
    I've been doing Kelei's routine for about 11 months, and then an injury (biceps tendonitis and I'm told it's an overuse injury) has sidelined me for more than three months with no return in sight. My lower back was also constantly aching from doing rest pause on front squats and RDLs. So I hear you on easily generating enough intensity to overtrain. But what signs did you exhibit and how did you decide to switch it up?
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

I have overtrained so many damn times in my life its unbelievable. Anyone who doesn't believe in it can talk to any of my previous training partners. We'd be doing the same damn routine and why they kept going up, my strength would TANK. I mean 30% drops. Couldn't get a pump (although I usually wasn't training for it), tired all the time, no desire to go to the gym, muscles shrink (glycogen likely), gut sticks out further.

The biggest lesson I've learned is training to improve strength and training for growth and they are VERY different. I believe its the single most ****ed up thing in this game and its propagated on this forum like ****ing crazy. 5x5 focusing on getting the weight up i.e. using all muscles and leverages possible with 3-5 minute rests will kill me. I'm spent after that on pretty much any big lift. But if I focus on constant tension, focus on the targeted muscle i.e. put 90% or more of the tension on that muscle and take it to failure I can pump stuff out all day and grow and NEVER over train. This is why people can handle 20 sets per muscle group. 5 sets of just focusing on moving the weight from point A to point B on curls, even straight sets and I'm tired and my biceps aren't even that worn out! Guaranteed they won't be sore the next day either. If I focus on hitting the muscle though with less weight and just increasing weight when the weight I'm using is too light (15 reps or so) then I can do 20-50 sets if I wanted and I wouldn't over train. This is the smart man's way to train and I know it works. If you're worried about losing strength doing something like this, just take one set of 1-10 reps, doesn't really matter, put about 90% effort into it using all the leverages and muscles you want and then just back off with the volume and focus on tearing the muscle down. You'll at the very minimum keep your strength this way and will get stronger long term.

I'll shut up. I can't post this openly yet as my opinion doesn't carry any weight at this point and I'd probably be negged into oblivion. Talk to Viking though, he'll tell you the same thing. Bottom line is that if you're training for growth the right way, you should really never experience signs of overtraining. A bad workout here and there, yes, but overtraining? Definitely not. It took me years to figure this out. Problem is, I like the high intensity stuff so I still overtrain here and there and I always know why it happens.

So what was your question? haha. Sorry for the rant.

Jesus that was a huge post. Anyway, another perk to that style of training is the chance for injury is minimal. A little tip for squatting without killing your middle back: Do the first two sets or so front squat, then switch to high bar with the same stance.

Hammer curls
    45x8
    40x8
    30x8,6

db curl
    30lbs 4x

reverse curls
    bar +20 4x 15 reps first set

skulls 2 different grips
    bar +30 4x

overhead extensions 2 different grips
    bar +30 4x

Originally Posted by rollalong View Post
    I have overtrained so many damn times in my life its unbelievable. Anyone who doesn't believe in it can talk to any of my previous training partners. We'd be doing the same damn routine and why they kept going up, my strength would TANK. I mean 30% drops. Couldn't get a pump (although I usually wasn't training for it), tired all the time, no desire to go to the gym, muscles shrink (glycogen likely), gut sticks out further.

The biggest lesson I've learned is training to improve strength and training for growth and they are VERY different. I believe its the single most ****ed up thing in this game and its propagated on this forum like ****ing crazy. 5x5 focusing on getting the weight up i.e. using all muscles and leverages possible with 3-5 minute rests will kill me. I'm spent after that on pretty much any big lift. But if I focus on constant tension, focus on the targeted muscle i.e. put 90% or more of the tension on that muscle and take it to failure I can pump stuff out all day and grow and NEVER over train. This is why people can handle 20 sets per muscle group. 5 sets of just focusing on moving the weight from point A to point B on curls, even straight sets and I'm tired and my biceps aren't even that worn out! Guaranteed they won't be sore the next day either. If I focus on hitting the muscle though with less weight and just increasing weight when the weight I'm using is too light (15 reps or so) then I can do 20-50 sets if I wanted and I wouldn't over train. This is the smart man's way to train and I know it works. If you're worried about losing strength doing something like this, just take one set of 1-10 reps, doesn't really matter, put about 90% effort into it using all the leverages and muscles you want and then just back off with the volume and focus on tearing the muscle down. You'll at the very minimum keep your strength this way and will get stronger long term.

I'll shut up. I can't post this openly yet as my opinion doesn't carry any weight at this point and I'd probably be negged into oblivion. Talk to Viking though, he'll tell you the same thing. Bottom line is that if you're training for growth the right way, you should really never experience signs of overtraining. A bad workout here and there, yes, but overtraining? Definitely not. It took me years to figure this out. Problem is, I like the high intensity stuff so I still overtrain here and there and I always know why it happens.

So what was your question? haha. Sorry for the rant.
    I hear you on overtraining, and I've exhibited those symptoms and more, too. I basically messed up my a lot of my life (school, social, depression etc.) largely due to pushing too hard in the gym and not knowing when to back off, never having progress and that in turn consuming my life. Sadly, I'm still not back, but I'm exploring my options for the future in terms on whether I should continue lifting, and if so, what routine.

What routine are you doing now, though? Are you just doing your own thing or following anything in particular (perhaps at least in the outline)?

Thanks for the squatting tip, too, but the thing is that if I do rest pause, I can't really switch mid set. I have bad ankle mobility, so I always lean forward even if my back stays straight, but when I do heavier weights (well, for me, at least), then that just creates more leverage, and I round my back sooner than I would if I stayed more upright. But I noticed the same thing with my back squats, as well, so I'm not sure that would help anyway.

As for the chance of injury, were you referring to training by "feeling the muscle"? In a way, I've noticed rest pause keeps me honest, too, since I don't necessarily have to hit a certain rep count like on 5 x 5, and on rest pause sets you know you don't have to cheat, because each set works you almost to failure anyway, and it's not really about the number of reps that you get in.

Sounds like you were training exactly how I use to man. Pushing hard to get the weights up just to get more weight up, not necessarily stimulate growth. I think what's so hard is trying going to the gym, not moving any more weight than you did last time yet knowing that you did what you were suppose to do: tear the muscles down. You don't have anything objective to say you progressed and that drives people nuts.

As far as my routine, I just want to hit the muscle from a few different angles with a few different approaches (big pump vs. heavier weights focusing on tearing the muscles down) and get out of the gym. 4 lifting days: boobs and calves, legs and side delts, arms, back, repeat. Sometimes I'll go through the rotation twice without an off day. I'm not exhausted after my workouts, but the muscles feel worked. I use to feel the opposite way every time I lifted: tired, but the muscles were minimally pumped, not that tired. For squats, using a high bar squat should minimize the forward lean. I dont do low bar or regular deadlifts from a long standing back injury and high bar doesn't bother me i.e. I can stay upright.

Feeling the muscle is something someone else can't see. I can hammer curl 50lb DBs for 5 or 6 reps and it will look perfect, but my delts, traps and chest are too involved to really tear down the bicep muscles. This is systemically very taxing yet doesn't tear the muscle down much. If I lower that to 45lbs or 40lbs and do the same reps, I can really make sure the bicep muscles are taking the brunt of the work while keeping the delts, traps and chest minimally active. These reps will look identical to an outsider, but I can feel the difference and that is key. This is also much less systemically taxing and much more locally taxing. To also help with this, I never take the tension off a muscle during the set. Ever. Yes you will get less reps this way, but remember the goal: making each set as hard on the muscle as possible, not getting as many reps as possible.

supinated rows
    155x12
    155x6
    135x8
    135x6

shrugs
    135 5x

bb rows, wider grip
    135 4x

pull ups
    bw x5 lol. Toast at this point.

Wasn't feel great last week, nausea and abdominal pain so I had some a couple pretty weak workouts then went to nashville for a little fun over the weekend. Was not feeling it today though. Just shaky and everything felt heavy.

incline
    185x10
    155x7
    135x7,6

flat
    135x12, 8,6,5

flies
    30lbs 4x

wrist roller
    15lbs 3x. Gonna do these every day for awhile.

single leg calves
    bw + 45lbs 5x
    Last edited by rollalong; 02-29-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Feeling worse today. Vague abdominal pain is super annoying. Ordered some labs today testing for some specific viruses to see what in the actual **** is going on. Hopefully lifting tomorrow.

MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Feel better brah... Hope all is well
    🎄Mods changed my sig. ™Copyright ©2003 - 2005- 2017. All Rights Reserved. Uncle penis™ is a registered trademark of MinisterOfLust.

Originally Posted by MinisterOfLust View Post
    Feel better brah... Hope all is well
    Thanks, boss. Right when the strength was starting to come back too.

legs from yesterday

front squat
    worked up to a speedy but heavy 225x4

back squat
    185x11
    185x5

split squats
    4x bw

Doesn't take much for me to kill my legs. Constant tension, no bouncing really wears out my legs fast. Arms tonight.

Didn't mention before, but today was the first day I've felt good in a loooooong time. Still a little pain, lethargy faded a bit today. Got a complement on my arms today which is HUGE for me as they are a weak point for sure. Glycogen was strong today. No PRs today that I'm aware of.

db curl
    45x8
    40x7
    30x8

hammer curls. Went crazy on these, strength just didnt drop for a few sets. Slow reps, constant tension, squeeze at the top as always
    30x9,8,8,8,7

reverse curls
    30lbs x9,8,7

skulls two different grips
    40lbs x21,15, 12,10

overhead extensions, two different grips
    40lbs x13 and four more sets, but i don't remember the reps

wrist roller
    15lbs 3x

Haven't missed any workouts, but no real strength gains made. Little crazy last weekend with some friends coming in from out of town. Chest workout was piss poor as expected. Legs tonight.

EDIT: Strength is down, expected due to the drinking all weekend. Not worth posting, but I will I guess.

Front squat
    185x3
    225x3

high bar
    185x7 ugh
    135 2x10,6

death by split squats
    bw 4x
    Last edited by rollalong; 03-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.

pinwheel curls
    40x11, 7,6,5 drop to 30lbs for hammer curls x6

db curl
    30x13,9,7,6

reverse ez curl SS ez curl
    bar +20x7, 7

skulls
    bar +20 x20,13,10 2 minutes 10, 1 minute 8

quit there. Silly pump.

supinated rows
    165x12, PR I think
    155x8,6
    135x10

something else in here, forgot
    4x

shrugs
    225 4x

trap bar rows (88lbs)
    4x

switching it up a bit

plate elevated bench
    205x8
    185x6
    135x7,5

incline db
    70x8
    50x8,7,6

flies
    30lbs 4x

calves one leg at a time
    +25lbs x20, 10 seconds rest up to 50 reps. Brutal.

wrist roller
    15lbs 3x

still around, workouts spaced out a bit more. The next six and a half weeks or so are going to be crazy at work so workouts will be less often. Going to change it up soon I think.

supinated rows
    185x8,6
    135x8,5

wide grip rows
    135 3x

chins
    1x8 lol

Shrugs
    225 2x

Tired as ****, not much sleep last night. Surprised I got 185 for that many considering how tired I was.

did some bench, got like 205x6, blah. Sore as **** though.

incline db for a few sets
    flies 4x

legs tomorrow. Pec is getting wonky, gotta lighten up. Gonna go by feel for awhile, traditional bodybuilding bologna.

unracked 225 to squat and it felt like 500. Joints hurt, tired as ****. Time off needed. Gonna be a lazy ass the next few days/week.

Ridiculous hunger today. I ate all god damn day and never once got a fat bloated gut. I'm still pretty dry with muscles filling out more than they have been. Also noticed weight has dropped waaaaaaaay down, like 6lbs less than my normal dry weight. I'm not sure if this is overreaching or what, but I'm just gonna ride it out. Eat as I feel, take some time off the gym.

Took a week off, feel loads better. Less volume this time. Max-ot-ish without the 4-6 rep guideline works well for me.

bench
    205x10,5
    185x6

dips
    bw x12,7,3

flies
    30x8

pinwheel curls
    40x8,7,5

ez curl
    bar +50 x10,8,5

The next few weeks I will be alternating 9 hours shifts and 12 hour shifts and I really don't want to work out after a 12 hour shift. Will have three workouts, will work out every other day, ramp up to a 2-3 sets to failure per lift

boobs, biceps, forearms
    bench 3x
    dips 3x
    fly 1x
    pinwheel curls 3x
    ez curl 3x
    wrist roller 3x

legs, abs and calves
    trap bar dead one top set
    front squat/high bar squat 3x
    split squats 3x
    ab wheel 2x
    calves 5x

back and triceps
    trap bar rows 3x
    chins 2x
    shrugs 3x
    skulls 2-3x
    overhead ext 2-3x
    lateral delt ****

trap bar deads
    355x4 ugh. No heavy spinal loading in probably 6 months so I don't know why I'm shocked

lower handle trap bar deads
    265x7

split squats
    53lb kettlebell x8, 5

Spent.