xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Home made squat rack: metal brackets, bricks.

Hello!
    I've done two months of Jamie Eason's LiveFit program at a gym, and am hooked on strength training. For a variety of reasons, going to the gym for an hour 6 days a week got difficult.

So I'm setting up a home gym.
    Plan is to focus on squats, press, deadlift with the barbell, and add in some kettle bell training, plyo, joint mobility etc.
    (I currently squat 40 kg, beginner, press around 32 kg and increase gradually, focus on form and safety.)

I am posting this idea here, though it is not complete, as I thought you might have some thoughts on this project in progress.
    BACKGROUND: Basically I am a woman who needs to squat and bench at home, and I've checked out ready made racks, second hand racks, and talked to local metal workers, wood workers, and even am scouting furniture shops for something handy to use as a squat / bench rack. (They do quote pretty steep prices, and as I'm a woman still learning DIY stuff, possibly the price is hiked for me.

THIS PROJECT: The plan is to use metal brackets (used to support the outside unit of a split air conditioner); they say it can hold over a tonne. There are a pair holding up my AC for the past three years. It's a premade metal bracket weighing 20 kg, that is bolted to the wall. I bought a pair for maybe Rs. 300 (around 3 USD).

The materials (just bought them) and a very rough drawing illustrating my plan (pardon my artwork!) are in pics on my bodyspace progress pics; (I'm a newbie with less than 50 posts so I can't post images or links here it seems. )

A pair of metal brackets bolted at squat height (around 4 ft), and a pair at floor press height, separately. Each bracket takes 3 bolts (lag bolts?).
    To keep things safe, I plan on getting a mason to cement a column of bricks under each bracket (the squat and press pairs of brackets will be separate ) . I laid the stuff out and set up a bracket on the bricks to show the idea.

I'll used the hooked lag bolts to attach a chain as well as some (tarp tie down) straps above each pair of brackets, which will be attached to the barbell.

This would do for me squatting at home till I get a proper rack made... what are your thoughts?

Thanks!!
    ________
    Thank you, God, for exercise.

pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50) pbryd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You could get a pair of adjustable builders trestles and start the squat from the bottom position.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck and be careful!
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by xenyen View Post
    Hello!
    I've done two months of Jamie Eason's LiveFit program at a gym, and am hooked on strength training. For a variety of reasons, going to the gym for an hour 6 days a week got difficult.

So I'm setting up a home gym.
    Plan is to focus on squats, press, deadlift with the barbell, and add in some kettle bell training, plyo, joint mobility etc.
    (I currently squat 40 kg, beginner, press around 32 kg and increase gradually, focus on form and safety.)

I am posting this idea here, though it is not complete, as I thought you might have some thoughts on this project in progress.
    BACKGROUND: Basically I am a woman who needs to squat and bench at home, and I've checked out ready made racks, second hand racks, and talked to local metal workers, wood workers, and even am scouting furniture shops for something handy to use as a squat / bench rack. (They do quote pretty steep prices, and as I'm a woman still learning DIY stuff, possibly the price is hiked for me.

THIS PROJECT: The plan is to use metal brackets (used to support the outside unit of a split air conditioner); they say it can hold over a tonne. There are a pair holding up my AC for the past three years. It's a premade metal bracket weighing 20 kg, that is bolted to the wall. I bought a pair for maybe Rs. 300 (around 3 USD).

The materials (just bought them) and a very rough drawing illustrating my plan (pardon my artwork!) are in pics on my bodyspace progress pics; (I'm a newbie with less than 50 posts so I can't post images or links here it seems. )

A pair of metal brackets bolted at squat height (around 4 ft), and a pair at floor press height, separately. Each bracket takes 3 bolts (lag bolts?).
    To keep things safe, I plan on getting a mason to cement a column of bricks under each bracket (the squat and press pairs of brackets will be separate ) . I laid the stuff out and set up a bracket on the bricks to show the idea.

I'll used the hooked lag bolts to attach a chain as well as some (tarp tie down) straps above each pair of brackets, which will be attached to the barbell.

This would do for me squatting at home till I get a proper rack made... what are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Unless you're mechanically-inclined, and have access and knowledge to using hand tools, you'd probably do well to forego the plan you post here, and instead, pursue a proper power rack (either buy or have one built for you).

In the meantime, simply use a squat variant that doesn't require a rack, such as Zercher Squats:

*Zercher Squat off the floor @ 1:37

Above all, be safe.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'll advise posters ITT to keep their replies on-topic.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Youtube has a lot of info on mounting load bearing things to cinder block walls. I don't know if those videos are region locked to the US.
    I don't see a problem with doing this, just thoroughly research how to do it. I'm not saying that because you're a woman or new to DIY. I've run into instances were I would have missed a vital, but small detail.

I'd like to know how much weight those brackets are designed to hold. Take into account that the load rating should be for static loads, not dynamic (dropping the bar into the rack).
    I'd also want to know how much weight you plan on using in the next, say 2 years. Also, take into account that most standard 1" bars was going to bend at a certain point, if you're going heavy enough.

I don't know what your budget is, but there's some interesting pieces on aliexpress that aren't horribly expensive.
    Link, click me!
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000) Mechanon84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your design looks very scary. I would google "DIY Squat Rack" for some inspiration. There are some extremely cheap and easy to build solutions that would be much safer and more effective than your plan.

usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) usersignup2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you should know that AC specifications stating 'tonne' DO NOT refer to the actual weight of the unit. in other words a 1 tonne AC does not weigh 1 tonne. therefore those metal brackets in all likelihood will not support 1 tonne (or even close).

stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stonecold123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tnk that if ur rich enuf to hav somone custom make those brackets. U shd b rich enuf to buy ur own power rack or squat stand....

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Personally, knowing nothing about the local cost of materials and the availability of fabricators etc, would just opt for a wooden power rack. Isn't it Irongrampa that had a cool one?
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP I really don't want to discourage you, BUT The point of a rack is to allow you to exercise safely.

A rack that you rely on but that won't actually protect you is WORSE than no rack at all.

Even the cheapest rack you can buy is probably safer than what you describe. At least the cheap rack will protect you one time even if it is damaged in the process.

I don't know what the lifting scene is like in Pakistan, and I'm sure as a female you face challenges there. I encourage you to buy a used rack, purchase a new rack if you can or use one of the common home made designs which can be found with a Google search.

I wish you luck.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone seems to have overlooked op's intention to have her AC brackets supported by brick columns.

This feature will negate any weakness in the brackets or their attachment to the wall with lag bolts.

Whilst the proposed set up is not ideal, there are plenty of cross fit types that use a similar bar support (i.e. a pair of j hooks on a pair of posts) mostly without incident.

I'd say go for it op, you'll be fine.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i agree that just building a wooden squat rack seems like the most straightforward solution: cost effective and safe to boot
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    Everyone seems to have overlooked op's intention to have her AC brackets supported by brick columns.

This feature will negate any weakness in the brackets or their attachment to the wall with lag bolts.

Whilst the proposed set up is not ideal, there are plenty of cross fit types that use a similar bar support (i.e. a pair of j hooks on a pair of posts) mostly without incident.

I'd say go for it op, you'll be fine.
    Attached pictures for comprehension:

I'll admit that I don't get it. It seems the walls to be erected are for the J-hooks not the safeties. You unrack and step back, like a half rack. It seems the bar is to be caught by straps suspended from the air-conditioner L-brackets attached to the building walls.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't like the idea. I don't care what the weight rating is on those hooks, given your skills, there's no way those L-brackets will hold anything.

I would recommend, if you're building a crude solution, that you look into schedule-40 pipes and make "h" frames out of them. This way you'll have safeties built in as well as hooks (made out of schedule 40 tees).

You can also Google around for scaffolding power racks... that might be another idea and scaffolding is available in many countries.

Here's an example:

USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do not know if wood as an option is readily available in Pakastan, but if it is it is probably a better option. The advantage being you could actually have adjustable safeties and J cups (or pegs) this would accommodate more exercises and be safer. Your design only seems to accommodate holding the bar for starting of the movement, but not safety.

xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenyen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks, everyone!

Appreciate the input from everyone. Generally consensus seems to be it is unsafe.

Well I was getting impatient; I want to start the Pavel Tsatsouline 'Power to the People' or Starting Strength routines, which are deadlift, press, squat, pullups, mainly.

So instead of waiting to save up for a proper rack, came up with this just to get the bar up to my shoulders for squats; and for presses. I've been googling, someone actually used two chair backs.. Or those posts in concrete pails, and various homemade squat stands that Crossfitters use.

The metal worker took me to his gym yesterday (scary, at night, a hardcore men's gym .. I joked to the taxi guy to call the cops if I wasn't back in 15 min. But they were really nice). We looked at racks and he got the idea of what I wanted.

He quoted Rs 30,000 (287 usd) for a half rack, with pullup bar, 40,000 (381) for a power rack with pullup bar and anything else i wanted. However, it will be his first time doing a rack.
    For the same things, a small scale gym equipment manufacturer quoted 287 usd for a half rack, and 716 usd for a power rack. (14 gauge metal both guys). Manufacturer however is more experienced. My old gym offered me a used half rack (with Smith machine attached, which I don't use) for 573 USD..

I actually see cheaper options on Amazon, in the US, so will keep talking to more people... surely it must be cheaper here!

Will talk to wood workmen as well, though people have said woodwork is more expensive than metal here.

As for this design, I know it is not clear. It's basically a pair of two brick column walls, to around 4 ft ( my shoulders approx) with metal brackets at the top, hooks in the wall above to hold safety chains, and bolts/brackets or something (j hooks) to prevent the bar rolling off; similar setup lower down for floor presses.
    I would get a mason to lay the bricks, and the handyman to drill everything in for me. But I must have the design clear first.
    A temporary solution till I have a proper rack.

If I do this, I'll stay with light weights and only go heavy when I get a proper rack, which seems the only safe and feasible option.
    ________

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Appreciate the input, guys

@pbryd, trestles are a good idea! Will be checking out wood workshops and similar places to see what I can find.

@AttyGuy, thanks! You are right, form and safety come first..

@ironwill2008, thanks for tip on Zercher squats.. I'm a newbie to strength, so have a barbell at home, but done nothing with it till I have something to hold it up for me.. Yes, Safety first.

@SyntheticKiller, Great! checking out the Ali Express link. The AC guys said the brackets should hold 1-1.5 tonnes, static load, though apparently as @usersignup2 posted, it actually isn't that much. This is my first bar, one inch, short, and at this point I have kettle bells, resistance bands, dumbbells, 75 cm ball; will add bars and plates as I go along.
    Whatever I have done, I"ll get a local handyman with drills and things to do for me. But I need to have the concept and materials clear, they may not help with that.

My budget was to keep it as low as possible, though I think saving up a month or two for a proper rack is the most sensible option.

@usersignup2, thanks for that info about the brackets' strength! Very useful to know

@stoncold123, I bought a pair of brackets for USD3 . I plan on saving up for a proper rack / custom built or store bought..

@CliveWarren You have a point there... Checking out wooden racks, heading for wood work market today. People said it was weaker than metal, so I was focused on stronger options

@tanksoldier, I absolutely agree, safety comes first. Needed to get the bar up, that was all. I am the only woman I know around here who lifts, does pushups, pullups, etc and was running out of plates at the gym. I was terrified of the weights when I started, had nightmares of being crushed, but not anymore. Still am very careful .. respect the metal!!

@daniel327, thanks for the vote of support!! Exactly, this was inspired the all the Crossfitters' equipment on google. It will be temporary, hopefully a couple of months or so, before I can get a proper rack. I learn something with each craftsman I talk to.

@Domicron.. checking out wood options... lets see what the estimates are today..

@CliveWarren, thanks for posting pics inline. They are upside down. About the J hooks, you are right, I left out that I would put in an upright bolt or something at the end (would need to scout stores) to prevent the bar rolling off the parallel walls... the chains/ straps attached to hooks drilled in the wall above are just for safety. I probably wouldn't go too heavy with this setup... just to get those squats in till the rack comes.

@bobcat, thanks for the pic; I think having one built (wood / metal) or saving up for a proper one with attachments seems to be best... Scaffolding is a good idea, I think they use wooden scaffolding here, will ask around but am not going to risk my life on any DIY I personally make . Not yet, anyway.. (I made homemade TRX like suspension cables, and those are fine, though )

@Hardgains88: Yes, it is only to get the bar up, not much for safety.. another vote for wood!

Will keep you guys posted on what the wood / metal guys say.. so many great racks on google, and attachments.. hope to get a really good one for the long haul God Willing. Lets see about temporary solutions till then, and kettlebells and bodyweight is good for now..
    ________

anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50) anthony6377 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Appreciate the input, guys

@pbryd, trestles are a good idea! Will be checking out wood workshops and similar places to see what I can find.

@AttyGuy, thanks! You are right, form and safety come first..

@ironwill2008, thanks for tip on Zercher squats.. I'm a newbie to strength, so have a barbell at home, but done nothing with it till I have something to hold it up for me.. Yes, Safety first.

@SyntheticKiller, Great! checking out the Ali Express link. The AC guys said the brackets should hold 1-1.5 tonnes, static load, though apparently as @usersignup2 posted, it actually isn't that much. This is my first bar, one inch, short, and at this point I have kettle bells, resistance bands, dumbbells, 75 cm ball; will add bars and plates as I go along.
    Whatever I have done, I"ll get a local handyman with drills and things to do for me. But I need to have the concept and materials clear, they may not help with that.

My budget was to keep it as low as possible, though I think saving up a month or two for a proper rack is the most sensible option.

@usersignup2, thanks for that info about the brackets' strength! Very useful to know

@stoncold123, I bought a pair of brackets for USD3 . I plan on saving up for a proper rack / custom built or store bought..

@CliveWarren You have a point there... Checking out wooden racks, heading for wood work market today. People said it was weaker than metal, so I was focused on stronger options

@tanksoldier, I absolutely agree, safety comes first. Needed to get the bar up, that was all. I am the only woman I know around here who lifts, does pushups, pullups, etc and was running out of plates at the gym. I was terrified of the weights when I started, had nightmares of being crushed, but not anymore. Still am very careful .. respect the metal!!

@daniel327, thanks for the vote of support!! Exactly, this was inspired the all the Crossfitters' equipment on google. It will be temporary, hopefully a couple of months or so, before I can get a proper rack. I learn something with each craftsman I talk to.

@Domicron.. checking out wood options... lets see what the estimates are today..

@CliveWarren, thanks for posting pics inline. They are upside down. About the J hooks, you are right, I left out that I would put in an upright bolt or something at the end (would need to scout stores) to prevent the bar rolling off the parallel walls... the chains/ straps attached to hooks drilled in the wall above are just for safety. I probably wouldn't go too heavy with this setup... just to get those squats in till the rack comes.

@bobcat, thanks for the pic; I think having one built (wood / metal) or saving up for a proper one with attachments seems to be best... Scaffolding is a good idea, I think they use wooden scaffolding here, will ask around but am not going to risk my life on any DIY I personally make . Not yet, anyway.. (I made homemade TRX like suspension cables, and those are fine, though )

@Hardgains88: Yes, it is only to get the bar up, not much for safety.. another vote for wood!

Will keep you guys posted on what the wood / metal guys say.. so many great racks on google, and attachments.. hope to get a really good one for the long haul God Willing. Lets see about temporary solutions till then, and kettlebells and bodyweight is good for now..
    Please do keep us informed. I'm admittedly intrigued to see what you come up with.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey. I like that you're creative, but that won't work when you get stronger. You are going to need spotter arms. Take a look at this piece of equipment I designed. I use it to do various lifts and it's as safe as a power rack. I sent the designs that I did in MS Paint to my vendor and he made it on request. I paid around $130 USD for it and I'm sure you can get a better deal in your country. Talk to the metal workshop guys again, show them this design and ask for a quote.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One thing about the brick column and hooks screwed into the wall is that you won't have room to get under the bar (if I understand the plan correctly). Since the bar will be on your back for back squats, you'll the distance that's at least the width of your body from front to back between the hooks and the wall they're hooked up to (or more - for me, I need around at least 18 inches because I like to swing under the bar when I set up).

Here's a wood power rack with instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5eyMDt3c

The half rack sounds good to me at that price point (make sure there are safeties on the rack, the metal is a good thickness (11 or 12 gauge maybe), etc.).

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post

Here's a wood power rack with instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5eyMDt3c
    They neglected to offset the lower rear cross member. Therefore, that rack would be a b!tch to use for squats.