Registered User TrampasaursFlex's Avatar
    TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000)

near constant nausea, issues with eating

I've been lifting for about a year and a half, mostly bodybuilding style training. About 6 weeks ago I started powerlifting training with the goal of eventually competing.

I want to bulk up a bit and gain about 6-7 pounds, but I've actually lost about 3 pounds since I started PL training (or maybe even a few weeks before that, I don't weigh myself often).

My main problem is that I just don't have an appetite lately; on top of that, I have near constant nausea. I can force myself to eat breakfast, but after my workouts I can hardly stand the thought of food for hours. I've always been a late-in-the-day eater, but these days I'm finding it hard to get all of my calories in.

I know that part of the answer is to rely on calorie-rich stuff like nut butters, oils, and other healthy fats, but it's this really rich stuff that makes me feel sick, and I have a hard time eating/drinking protein rich stuff too. I feel like I'm relying way too much on carbs bc they're easy to handle.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with this? This is a new issue for me and as obnoxious as I feel complaining about not being able to eat, it's becoming a real problem.

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You may want to look into digestive enzyme and some pine apple juice NOT from concentrate (has natural digestive enzymes)-I used to drink pineapple juice when bulking it really revs up your appetite.
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't imagine that changing your workouts alone would cause that. However, if you've changed your supplements or the food that you eat, I would be mindful that you may have an intolerance to something.

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by itsagoodday View Post
    I can't imagine that changing your workouts alone would cause that. However, if you've changed your supplements or the food that you eat, I would be mindful that you may have an intolerance to something.
    This. Has anything about the types of foods or supplements that you take changed?

TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TrampasaursFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WolfBeast View Post
    You may want to look into digestive enzyme and some pine apple juice NOT from concentrate (has natural digestive enzymes)-I used to drink pineapple juice when bulking it really revs up your appetite.
    Thanks, I'm going to look into this for sure.

I haven't changed the types of food I eat and I don't take any supplements at this time other than whey protein.

The only thing that's changed along with my workouts was that I increased the dose on a particular medication of mine about the same time all this started, although this med is notorious for causing weight gain so I didn't think much of it. But since my original post I've done some digging and found that while for most people it causes weight gain, for others it causes anorexia and nausea.

So now I think I know the source, and I just need to figure out how to stimulate my appetite. Thank you guys for your help!

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As long as you still get minimum protein and fat in, there is no problem with using carbs to hit your calorie goals if they are easiest for you. Oh, and any chance you are pregnant?
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    As long as you still get minimum protein and fat in, there is no problem with using carbs to hit your calorie goals if they are easiest for you. Oh, and any chance you are pregnant?
    OMFG NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Lol, no I'm not pregnant.

I'm not concerned about carbs in and of themselves, just that I've been turning to them instead of protein/fats because I find them easier to eat. I really only count protein because I try to hit a minimum, and don't worry too much about fat or carbs in general. I just haven't been hitting my minimum protein goal every day, and clearly just haven't been eating enough calories overall.

And for the first time in my entire life, I want the number on the scale to go up, not down, which is where it's been headed! Never thought I'd say that

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TrampasaursFlex View Post
    OMFG NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Lol, no I'm not pregnant.

I'm not concerned about carbs in and of themselves, just that I've been turning to them instead of protein/fats because I find them easier to eat. I really only count protein because I try to hit a minimum, and don't worry too much about fat or carbs in general. I just haven't been hitting my minimum protein goal every day, and clearly just haven't been eating enough calories overall.

And for the first time in my entire life, I want the number on the scale to go up, not down, which is where it's been headed! Never thought I'd say that
    Lol, just always a good idea to rule that out as a sudden change of appetite/nausea

You said that this lack of appetite coincided with your change in programming - but how long have you been actively trying to bulk? Have you been cutting previously to this? If you are coming off a long cut, it can be common to find it hard to take in a lot of cals at first, but once you "make" yourself take them in, you adapt and it usually becomes quite easier...and in fact you may eventually still be quite hungry even on bulking cals.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This happened to me during my first couple months of bulking, and occasionally as I have increased calories.

Like what you mentioned, I ate spoonfulls of peanut butter with protein shakes or milk to help meet my requirements when I just couldn't eat a meal. It took me a while to adjust but interestingly, about the time I would become accustomed to eating that amount of calories and didn't feel the nausea, I would notice my gains slowing and would need to up the intake again.

I was probably eating between 1,000 to 1,200 kcals a day for many years, and my previously regular style of eating was typically low carb, so it's been a big adjustment.

People look at me weird when I say I have trouble eating this much food, or that I am so tired of eating, when its obvious I have been gaining weight (35 pounds...). LOL. I do not care

Good luck to you.
    Under Construction.

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Lol, just always a good idea to rule that out as a sudden change of appetite/nausea

You said that this lack of appetite coincided with your change in programming - but how long have you been actively trying to bulk? Have you been cutting previously to this? If you are coming off a long cut, it can be common to find it hard to take in a lot of cals at first, but once you "make" yourself take them in, you adapt and it usually becomes quite easier...and in fact you may eventually still be quite hungry even on bulking cals.
    My coach told me from day 1 of this program that I need to eat more. Prior to this, I had done a long, slow, mostly unintentional cut where I lost about 10 pounds over the course of a year. I was trying to figure out my maintenance calories and I work a physical job. I recently moved and changed jobs, and my new one is even more strenuous than the previous one, and I don't think I realized at first how much more strenuous it is. So it might be behind this weight loss too.

Originally Posted by Jodie10 View Post
    This happened to me during my first couple months of bulking, and occasionally as I have increased calories.

Like what you mentioned, I ate spoonfulls of peanut butter with protein shakes or milk to help meet my requirements when I just couldn't eat a meal. It took me a while to adjust but interestingly, about the time I would become accustomed to eating that amount of calories and didn't feel the nausea, I would notice my gains slowing and would need to up the intake again.

I was probably eating between 1,000 to 1,200 kcals a day for many years, and my previously regular style of eating was typically low carb, so it's been a big adjustment.

People look at me weird when I say I have trouble eating this much food, or that I am so tired of eating, when its obvious I have been gaining weight (35 pounds...). LOL. I do not care

Good luck to you.
    Thanks for your perspective! It sounds like I'm just going to have to force it. I really want to gain this strength/muscle.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My coach told me from day 1 of this program that I need to eat more. Prior to this, I had done a long, slow, mostly unintentional cut where I lost about 10 pounds over the course of a year. I was trying to figure out my maintenance calories and I work a physical job. I recently moved and changed jobs, and my new one is even more strenuous than the previous one, and I don't think I realized at first how much more strenuous it is. So it might be behind this weight loss too.
    How many calories are you eating now? Even with the fluke loss of 3 lbs it sounds like you've pretty much been maintaining since then.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    How many calories are you eating now? Even with the fluke loss of 3 lbs it sounds like you've pretty much been maintaining since then.
    I'm averaging about 2400 calories a day right now. Some days it's more, some days it's less. I don't weigh and track every single thing like I used to because I feel like I've come to a point where I can accurately estimate serving sizes/calorie counts. I do track my protein intake, but my overall caloric intake is more of an estimate.

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you said your medication has side effects of nausea, might be worth seeing your doctor to see if theres another drug you could take that doesn't have this side effect.

if its not this, then you could try antacids. I know that sounds odd, but I have bouts of dyspepsia - where my stomach produces excess acid for no reason - and the main symptom is feeling overly full (like I have a tennis ball in my stomach) and constant nausea. Liquid antacid really helps.

BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm averaging about 2400 calories a day right now. Some days it's more, some days it's less. I don't weigh and track every single thing like I used to because I feel like I've come to a point where I can accurately estimate serving sizes/calorie counts. I do track my protein intake, but my overall caloric intake is more of an estimate.
    Your average cals must be right as you're the weight am going for and I worked out those cals too.

Well maybe you're not hungry because you're eating 2400 which is a sufficient calories everyday and your body doesn't want more. So your body is like- not hungry, don't want, don't need, go away- Some people just aren't in hunger mode 24/7....I mean it's rare apparently but I'm like that. Or maybe it could be a different problem who knows.

Just go buy some ground almond powder and put 35g in a cup every morning mix with water, swallow in 2 seconds, takes no effort motivation or hunger. Instant bulk.

BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BB26 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by leeniepie View Post
    you said your medication has side effects of nausea, might be worth seeing your doctor to see if theres another drug you could take that doesn't have this side effect.

if its not this, then you could try antacids. I know that sounds odd, but I have bouts of dyspepsia - where my stomach produces excess acid for no reason - and the main symptom is feeling overly full (like I have a tennis ball in my stomach) and constant nausea. Liquid antacid really helps.
    I have a weird stomach feeling too and use peppermint oil capsule/tea. I cured my acid reflux which I had terribly for years by swallowing mustard or white vinegar during.

Sounds crazy but it works for a lot of people. By putting acid in your stomach you tell your stomach to stop producing acid. Your stomach can learn over time. I didn't know initially it would cure it entirely, I just read it was an instant remedy which works for some people (not all) If it doesn't work for some people could be because their source for the reflux is different or something.

And milk and anti acid tabs are meant to be bad for your stomach and long term increase acid reflux for the exact opposite reason that an acid can be a remedy. So if you keep switching off the acid signals in your tummy it will "learn" to try and produce as it thinks it's deficient.

chica888 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had this exact same issue and it turned out I had a large gallstone that was causing my gallbladder to malfunction. The gallbladder helps you digest fats so the gallstone was messing up my bile flow which was causing nausea when i ate certain things. I now try to avoid large doses of any sort of fat and stick to carbs while I decide if I should have it removed or not. It took the doctors awhile to figure this whole debacle out as I don't meet the criteria of the typical gallbladder removal candidate...I'm in my 30s, fit, no kids. Anyway just something to explore. I hope you figure out your issue...I know the nausea is miserable.

girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use a lot of ginger for nausea and digestion.

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I've found that the easiest way to get my calories and protein in is kinda acidic fruit-based shakes with vanilla whey in them. The acidity counteracts the richness/heaviness of the protein and makes it a lot easier to handle and they're 500-600 calories each. I weighed myself last week and had gained 3 pounds, although I was on my period so I'm sure most of that was water weight.

Just wanted to say thanks!