Ysabet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Keto, fiber, diverticulosis, and whey questions (newb)

Hello!
    I’m Lisa, a 52 yr old woman looking to lose 25 lbs and have been on an exercise program for strength/muscle gain (natural bodybuilding, not competition). I’m pretty much old school and not given to fad anything, including exercises. I like straight forward barbells, dumbells, and cable machines. I recognize the importance of cardio, but it’s not something I like to do. Except contradance. I love contradance.
    I have recently come across this Keto diet and have questions due to conflicting information. It looks like the diet for me as I love fats and not so much the carbs (though I am a veg freak).
    1. I have diverticulosis (diverticulitis 1 ½ yrs ago in the hospital for a week) and need fiber. I read somewhere in an old post about Fiberlyze and Sugar-Free Metamucil. Are there any updates to this recommendation? I am allergic to nutrasweet/aspartame and other such sweeteners, but no trouble with stevia (I grow it in my garden). I am also allergic to most preservatives and additives.
    2. I like taking a whey protein powder shake after my workouts. Is this detrimental to ketosis? I’ve had conflicting information on this as well.
    3. I’m a coffee-holic and was wondering about flavored coffees and/or flavored creamers. I tend to drink Sumatran for it’s low acid content. Is there an issue with caffeine on this diet?
    I will be doing more research, but I like to get as much real-time advice based on experience as possible.
    Thank you in advance!
    Lisa
    Ysabet
    Nashville, TN
    Loving life through being strong and healthy, in my 50s!

repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. I don't know, honestly.
    2. Could kick you out from ketosis, if you take it, take it with a good amount of fat at the same time. Or don't :v
    3. As long as it don't have carbs, it's alright!

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1. Try a plain psyllium husk. Like this.

2. Post workout is fine. You should avoid it at other times.

3. There is no issue with caffeine on this diet. Drink up. You should avoid creamer though. Stick with heavy cream or double cream if you are from over the pond).
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Smile

LOL Thanks! Funny you should say "from over the pond". I'm actually a native Californian now in Tennessee. But, my hubby is from London. We do both here. I appreciate your advice.

Rock on.
    Ysabet
    Nashville, TN

Thanks!
    Ysabet
    Nashville, TN

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you add a bit of casein to your whey shake it will be make it less insulinogenic, which is good for ketosis, AND more effective for promoting muscle gain. Win-win.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1) It is not finer that you need in your diet but soft easily mobile stool. This can be achieved however you want. But you will need to be watchful during transitioning (i.e. you may want some lactulose to hand :-), to ensure no complications). Once your body has got used to your new diet, and your gut is happy, you will find that your stool goes to a normal consistency. The problem of constipation with high protein diet's or when people eat to many eggs, is simply because their body is not used to digesting that food. The same is true if you took someone on a long term low fat diet and fed them a pizza hut pizza and watch the steatorrhea the following day!!!

2) I make my protein shake up in lactose free yoghurt (made myself) and with double cream added. Tastes great, if it does knock me out of ketosis, it does so in a very gentle way, that I do not notice.

3) If someone took my coffee away....... people would die! Coffee is fine.
    Things that are free have no value!

DL 150kg
    Squat 130kg
    BP 100kg
    Press (shamefully) 45kg