BikiniBella05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Weight lifting shoes: zero drop, raised heel, barefoot??

Hi y'all!

I've only been seriously into lifting for a little over a year now and ever since then I have always used traditional running sneakers. Recently I've started learning about powerlifting and that's when I heard about lifting barefoot and lifting with a raised heel. I'm planning on getting shoes soon and wanted to know everyone's opinion. I heard zero drop shoes are best to drive more energy into the ground and work your stabilizers. I'm also aware a raised heel helps you hit depth with squats. Which route should I go? I've always done bodybuilding-type workouts. Like I said, more recently I've gotten into powerlifting. I still do my bodybuilding routines but I sometimes I'll go for 1-5 rep range for the Big 3.

Oh and what do y'all think about Nike Frees 3.0? They're the most attractive minimalist shoe in my opinion lol.

Thanks so much!
    "Just remember, somewhere, a little Chinese girl is warming up with your max." - Jim Conroy

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Unless you plan on competing (or have noticed a problem with your shoes) I wouldn't worry too much about what shoe you're using to lift.

Running shoes are a bit squishy, however, so you may not want to lift in them as the weights get heavier, but I wouldn't necessarily rush to get oly shoes or deadlifting shoes.

A raised heel can help you get a deeper squat, but if your ankle mobility is good, then you don't need it.

I find deadlifting in socks to be better than any shoe I've ever lifted in.

I don't care what shoes I bench in.

I wouldn't spend $100 on running shoes to lift in.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sehun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like squatting barefoot because it gives me more stability since I'm closer to the ground. If you're not comfortable with that, something cheap would be flat-soled shoes like chucks.
    Squat: 205
    Deadlift: 265
    Bench: pathetic

Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nsm22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Club barefeet

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wear New Balance Vibram Minimus. It's as close to barefoot as I'm going to get.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just switch over to cheap, flat shoes. I've used my old feiyues ($20 chinese shoes), chucks and now a pair of via spiga sneakers that started getting holes and got downgraded to WO shoes. You don't need to spend money on lifting specific shoes.

Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Fujiberry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I compete in powerlifting, so I wear shoes with heels. However, I did BB style workouts before I got into PL. You don't really need fancy shoes for BB. You're not competing for strength, so little advantages like having the right shoes doesn't matter. All you really need are flat shoes (not running shoes) or you can lift bare.
    52kg USAPL Raw Powerlifter
    I'm going to be strong someday.

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I squat with solid flat shoes, I feel unstable in raised heel and it put more emphasis on my quads which are weaker than my hams/glutes, so not for me - although my gym buddies swear by them.
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Agree with the ladies that if you're not competing you don't really need to worry about special shoes. If you have good ankle mobility, then you definitely don't need to worry about elevated heels.

Mumofone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it comes down to preference. Our home gym used to be attached to the house so I'd go in bare foot but now it's in the garage (not attached to the house) I tend to wear shoes; and the comfiest ones are my 4mm drop running shoes. My husband was similar and now lifts in very minimalist things from sockwa.

canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agreed with the others. For BB and general weightlifting, nothing fancy is needed. If you're planning on getting into competitions, you'll want proper shoes.

I recently bought some weightlifting shoes (Adidas adiPower) and the difference has been phenomenal. It's particularly noticeable for squats and oly lifts. I was using NB Minimus before and thought they were alright, but after using lifters, I can't believe how unstable my base was in the NBs. With good lifting shoes, it feels like your feet are screwed to the floor.
    Current Technical 1RM
    Squat: 175 / Bench: 125 / Deadlift: 260 / Strict OHP: 85 / C&J: 100 / Snatch: 82.5

Goals
    Squat: 300 / Bench: 200 / Deadlift: 400 / Strict OHP: 200 / C&J: 200 / Snatch: 150

"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in, has left you." ~George Zalucki~

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I lift, squat, etc in Nike Free's and they are great. I definitely recommend them. (I just checked mine - they're 5.0's - don't really know the differences between each "make" but for the most part, they're all very flat and comfortable).

You REALLY shouldn't be squatting in running shoes, though. They're designed to thrust your foot forward. I had immediate improvement with my squat form when I switched from squatting in Asics to the Nike Free's.

Dhrti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the most part I train in Vibrams which I LOVE. The advantage over a flat trainer like converse is the foot is able to articulate naturally which maintains mobility and strength of the medial and lateral arch. You also get good grip (unlike socks) and good transfer of force (unlike a cushioned sole).

For squatting I wear the Adidas Powerlift 2.0 which has been a game changer for me as I have limited structural mobility in my ankles and am unable to break parallel without over-externally rotating. This isn't going to be the case for everyone but it's pretty common. The test is to go into a squat (without weight) and notice at which point the heels start to lift off the floor. Then take note of where you feel the restriction. If the movement is restricted in the back of the ankle then it's a flexibility issue which will improve over time as your range of motion increases from squatting or stretching. If you feel the restriction in the front of the ankle, a sense of pressure or pinching, this means that your bone structure doesn't allow for deeper flexion. This will never improve and will only be alleviated by elevating the heel in a lifting shoe.
    Be happy.

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i squad and deadlift barefoot

devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000) devoteddear is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with Dhrti about vibrams. There's a great book on this called, "The Barefoot Book". It explains the effects of each type of shoe on the foots anatomy and physiology. In summation though it explains that if you're going to rely on your feet and ankles to support weight and keep you balanced, barefoot is optimal.

bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigasianboi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    A raised heel can help you get a deeper squat, but if your ankle mobility is good, then you don't need it.
    I have excellent mobility (former martial artist) but my coach still recommended adipowers for me since it helps distribute your weight over midfoot.
    I definately feel more powerful with weightlifting shoes than flat soles shoes like chucks or going barefoot
    Sold out for Christ

lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lillacey83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also think barefoot is the way to go, but I also have a pair of the adipower I think are very comfortable.

missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dhrti View Post
    For the most part I train in Vibrams which I LOVE. The advantage over a flat trainer like converse is the foot is able to articulate naturally which maintains mobility and strength of the medial and lateral arch. You also get good grip (unlike socks) and good transfer of force (unlike a cushioned sole).

For squatting I wear the Adidas Powerlift 2.0 which has been a game changer for me as I have limited structural mobility in my ankles and am unable to break parallel without over-externally rotating. This isn't going to be the case for everyone but it's pretty common. The test is to go into a squat (without weight) and notice at which point the heels start to lift off the floor. Then take note of where you feel the restriction. If the movement is restricted in the back of the ankle then it's a flexibility issue which will improve over time as your range of motion increases from squatting or stretching. If you feel the restriction in the front of the ankle, a sense of pressure or pinching, this means that your bone structure doesn't allow for deeper flexion. This will never improve and will only be alleviated by elevating the heel in a lifting shoe.
    Makes so much sense, am definitely feeling the tightness in the front. Have been trying forever to squat deep, have read so many books trying to figure out wth is blocking me. In the process, have acquired a lot of hip mobility so that I can shove my knees out a ton to compensate, but still unusually weak in the squat and bleeding power. Working on ankle mobility has granted minimal improvement. When my heels are raised, suddenly, I have perfect form with no forward lean and feel immensely comfortable.

I also have longer femurs than average, which I think would also make a case for lifting shoes with a raised heel. Thanks for sharing that bit of information...think I am just going to go ahead and stop worrying about being "functional" and just get some squat shoes.

Btw, I love vibrams for everything else!