Thread: Old Man Elbows

jeffpack1957 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Old Man Elbows

I did Pilates for a number of years after back issues, then switched to doing a (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) Force sets (6 reps 6s hold on last rep x2) with weights.

I did this for better part of a year, but didnt feel I was getting good strength gains (Note I'm not doing bodybuilding, but training for strength only) (I'm a technical diver, so I'm heaving about up to 250pds of gear entering the water.

Last 4 months I switched to isometrics and have gotten some really great strength gains, but nothing to compare against.

So today, I heaved a bunch of iron around, and yes, my strength went up from my last days of dong force sets, but any extension exercises (bench, inclined press, chest flys for example) had my elbows barking like a stellar sea lion. So I'm figuring my days of heaving heavy iron are pretty much over with, or avoid any heavy weights on extension exercises.

So my question, is given I cant do true strength training what else can I do to increase strength. Go back to my force sets above as a combination of at least heavier weights and isometrics? Just do force sets for extension movements?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

thx!

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jeffpack1957 View Post
    So today, I heaved a bunch of iron around, and yes, my strength went up from my last days of dong force sets, but any extension exercises (bench, inclined press, chest flys for example) had my elbows barking like a stellar sea lion. So I'm figuring my days of heaving heavy iron are pretty much over with, or avoid any heavy weights on extension exercises.
    Often our joints and ligaments can't keep up with what our muscles are capable of. I do exercises and stretches specifically to target those problem areas, I read somewhere that professional athletes will spend as much time doing this as actually working out. That said, you have to use common sense and not just jump right back into what you used to do. Leave a little in the tank as you work back into your extension exercises, but I bet you know that.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jeffpack1957 View Post

So today, I heaved a bunch of iron around,

Bet you won't do that again anytime soon.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go about it a little more methodically and slowly progress and see how the elbows feel.
    I where neoprene elbow sleeve to keep the elbows warm with moist heat.
    Let the pain or discomfort be your guide on what you can or cannot do.
    heavy weights all the time are not joint friendly.
    Have a plan and progress.

I'm using Rehband elbow sleeves already.

I think I'll just use force sets for extensions, as those didn't previously give me any issues and go up slowly.

Thx

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Bet you won't do that again anytime soon.
    True,I took one day off