pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

exercise for upper middle chest???

my outer and lower pecs are huge, but the middle and upper parts are lacking extremely. it just caves in at the top. ive tried narrowing my grip on bench and incline, doing a lot of flyes, and cables but have seen no improvement. any suggestions???
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:17

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pilsung View Post
    my outer and lower pecs are huge, but the middle and upper parts are lacking extremely. it just caves in at the top. ive tried narrowing my grip on bench and incline, doing a lot of flyes, and cables but have seen no improvement. any suggestions???
    Why are you narrowing your grip? The wider the grip, the more chest is engaged. Try incline dumbbell presses if you haven't already. In addition, try some high incline presses (with the bench at around 45 degrees instead of the conventional 15-30).

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Che...#anchor1932170
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Why are you narrowing your grip? The wider the grip, the more chest is engaged. Try incline dumbbell presses if you haven't already. In addition, try some high incline presses (with the bench at around 45 degrees instead of the conventional 15-30).

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Che...#anchor1932170
    I'll second that. Start changing the angle of the bench when you're doing inclines. It'll make a difference.

Side note, no offense, but are you sure the lower part of your chest isn't big b/c of fat build up or something else? A lot of people think what you're saying until they drop a lot of weight.

pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pilsung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i know there is fat there, but i can tell there is a huge drop in muscle mass from the outer bottom to the upper middle. so i should widen my grip and angle the bench higher..
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:17

WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hmmmm, ive always been told a narrow grip will hit the inner chest and wider grip hits the outer chest ?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WatsupDog View Post
    Hmmmm, ive always been told a narrow grip will hit the inner chest and wider grip hits the outer chest ?
    To an extent, but narrowing the grip will also engage the shoulders and triceps a lot more. Close grip bench press (CGBP) is commonly used as a tricep builder.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WatsupDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    To an extent, but narrowing the grip will also engage the shoulders and triceps a lot more. Close grip bench press (CGBP) is commonly used as a tricep builder.
    Yeah i know a narow grip hits the triceps i do these as my main tricep exercise but i thought it also hit the inner chest quite well.
    But do you think you can hit the inner chest as much as the outer chest when performing wide grip ?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think DJ's right, besides which, those theories on 'inner chest' are pretty out there too. It's not as if only one part of a fibre engages, they all do...

Yeah i know a narow grip hits the triceps i do these as my main tricep exercise but i thought it also hit the inner chest quite well.
    But do you think you can hit the inner chest as much as the outer chest when performing wide grip ?
    The best way to hit the entire chest effectively is to do the full range of motion, especially with dumbbells. Be sure to touch the dumbbells at the top of the movement, and go all the way down on at the bottom.

coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) coconutman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cables, standing grabbing the two cables move up a little. Bend your arms and pull em towards the face. Now feel the damn burn.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    The best way to hit the entire chest effectively is to do the full range of motion, especially with dumbbells. Be sure to touch the dumbbells at the top of the movement, and go all the way down on at the bottom.
    I kind of feel like touching the dumbbells at the top is more of a pleasantry. The chest gets engaged more as you do down, at the top the upper arm is vertical so gravity isn't really pulling them apart. Cable crossovers or peck decks seem like the only way to work the chest to any good degree in that position.

tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coconutman View Post
    Cables, standing grabbing the two cables move up a little. Bend your arms and pull em towards the face.
    If we are on the same page coconutman, then i agree this is the best excercise I've found for upper/inner chest. The cables are set at the lowest starting point and you are pulling them upward to approx. eye level. Squeeze peak contraction, and even cross your hands at the top of the ROM to target inner chest more. Works better than incline flyes b/c it involves less shoulder stabilization. I think this is what coconutman was saying too, just a little more clarification.
    -Train Hard

Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

That motion you described kind of reminds me of an uppercut.

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    bahh

incline adj bench cable crossovers>uppwards standing cable crossovers

wide grip incline press
    incline adj bench cable crossovers
    pec deck
    inclind db flyes

Adj the bench to 30 degrees and put some weights under the foot end of the bb incline bench.
    Cha Cha Cha

tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkestu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by spirit3530 View Post

Adj the bench to 30 degrees and put some weights under the foot end of the bb incline bench.
    what's the reasoning behind the weights under the bench?
    -Train Hard

Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Talking

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    That motion you described kind of reminds me of an uppercut.
    When I do 'em my arms are at approx. a 45 degree angle to the side of my body, not right at my sides.

Maybe should just try uppercutting some ppl at the gym, see if it targets the inner pecs at all
    -Train Hard

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tkestu View Post
    what's the reasoning behind the weights under the bench?
    Because the normal incline bench is set to a permenant 45 degree angle and I would go for 30 degrees or such.. For most people that gets the delts a little too involved with the lift.
    Cha Cha Cha

Originally Posted by spirit3530 View Post
    Because the normal incline bench is set to a permenant 45 degree angle and I would go for 30 degrees or such.. For most people that gets the delts a little too involved with the lift.
    Oh ok, my gym has adjustable benches, so it would suffice to simply lower the angle if you have the capacity. Thanks
    -Train Hard

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally Posted by tkestu View Post
    Oh ok, my gym has adjustable benches, so it would suffice to simply lower the angle if you have the capacity. Thanks
    np
    Cha Cha Cha

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's like saying toe raises (for calves) with the toes pointed out work the inner gastro and pointed in works the outer gastro. There isn't that much science in calf muscles. Knees bent works mostly the soleus while knees straight work mostly the gastro
    currently cutting..... again!!

"most people have absolutely no idea what they're capable of" --me

Originally Posted by plumher View Post
    That's like saying toe raises (for calves) with the toes pointed out work the inner gastro and pointed in works the outer gastro. There isn't that much science in calf muscles. Knees bent works mostly the soleus while knees straight work mostly the gastro
    LOL

thanks 4 that