WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein as an energy source?

I was going to post this in the general /Nutrition thread, but thought the Keto folk would be more knowledgeable. So the premise behind Keto is drop your carbs a ton, drop your protein some and raise your fat. Fat becomes the dominant calorie in the diet. The body changes, goes through Ketosis and begins to use fat as a source of energy.

What happens when people on a high protein diet with low fat drop their carbs to around 100g / day? Unknowing to these guys, will the body change as well, undergo "Protosis" and begin using protein as an energy source? I know I'm probably going off into left field here, but was curious since this type of diet is actually common in the bodybuilding world.

I know it's probably a fat or carbs for energy kind of situation, but am just curious why protein wouldn't be used as an energy source (if this whole theory is false to begin with). If this were actually the case, I would think it would be a pretty negative deal for a bodybuilder.

nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WarmupScreamer View Post
    I was going to post this in the general /Nutrition thread, but thought the Keto folk would be more knowledgeable. So the premise behind Keto is drop your carbs a ton, drop your protein some and raise your fat. Fat becomes the dominant calorie in the diet. The body changes, goes through Ketosis and begins to use fat as a source of energy.

What happens when people on a high protein diet with low fat drop their carbs to around 100g / day? Unknowing to these guys, will the body change as well, undergo "Protosis" and begin using protein as an energy source? I know I'm probably going off into left field here, but was curious since this type of diet is actually common in the bodybuilding world.

I know it's probably a fat or carbs for energy kind of situation, but am just curious why protein wouldn't be used as an energy source (if this whole theory is false to begin with). If this were actually the case, I would think it would be a pretty negative deal for a bodybuilder.
    The protein is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, preventing ketosis. I unknowingly did this for quite some time

CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nicholina View Post
    The protein is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, preventing ketosis. I unknowingly did this for quite some time
    I also did this, but knowingly on a slow bulk. Worked pretty good. High carbs give me anxeity, nightmares, acne.

The drawback of not being in ketosis while in a caloric deficit is that if there aren't enough carbs for fuel, amino acids are then used and muscle wasting rears its ugly head. On the scale you'll see the numbers fall, but it's a two edged sword because a significant amount is hard earned muscle.

psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) psalms1441 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I did this also but I did it knowingly but I care nothing about ketosis

WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WarmupScreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CaseyofDoom View Post
    I also did this, but knowingly on a slow bulk. Worked pretty good. High carbs give me anxeity, nightmares, acne.

The drawback of not being in ketosis while in a caloric deficit is that if there aren't enough carbs for fuel, amino acids are then used and muscle wasting rears its ugly head. On the scale you'll see the numbers fall, but it's a two edged sword because a significant amount is hard earned muscle.
    Interesting! When I think cut, I automatically think about dropping carbs. This gives some thought to keeping those carbs up during a cut.

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    we all made this mistake to much protein at first nutritional ketosis is a playing game and learning curve for everyone who enters this , guidelines only offer so much but everyone can tolerate different amount of carbs and proteins ,

but if you are in a deficit and low carb its best to be in ketosis and make sure you are other wise you will break down amino acids and muscles for energy , and even proteins that wont go to muscles for recovery and growth , and when this happens you feel weak and tired and slow and etc
    Staying below 9% BF Year Round
    Ketosis Since - August / 14 / 2015
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day
    No Longer Doing Social Media Or Roaming Forums Often
    Display Picture Old And Not Up To Date
    New Instagram Not posting much as this time J.Banaitis

CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CaseyofDoom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JonBana View Post
    we all made this mistake to much protein at first nutritional ketosis is a playing game and learning curve for everyone who enters this , guidelines only offer so much but everyone can tolerate different amount of carbs and proteins ,

but if you are in a deficit and low carb its best to be in ketosis and make sure you are other wise you will break down amino acids and muscles for energy , and even proteins that wont go to muscles for recovery and growth , and when this happens you feel weak and tired and slow and etc
    Yes. This.