AFFerree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which to buy first, bumpers or iron plates?

Hey folks, I wanted to get y'alls opinion on something. I've finally started strength training. Bought a Rogue Westside 2.0 power bar and build a power rack out of 4x4s. My home gym is almost complete, but now I've run into a dilemma. Should I buy iron/steel plates or bumpers? My training goal is strongman, perhaps competitively one day, mainly because I love the practicality of it. Since one of the main competitive exercises is the clean and press, would it be wise to bite the bullet and buy bumpers right off the bat or is that so far off from a beginner that just focusing on the strength basics like bench, deadlift, squat and overhead press would be better?

NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you can afford it, buy all bumpers.

makes a juicebox wet dannyautrey's Avatar
    dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just bought my first barbell/weight set and I went with bumpers first. Number 1 reason is that I'm trying to.get better at the oly lifts. Other than that, I'm sure ill be able to find iron locally at garage sales where I wont be able to find bumpers.

Buy about 225lbs of bumpers or so, then fill the rest out with iron as you can.

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agree with above. Get at least 4-6 heavy bumper plates and make sure they are the correct diameter. Then just go for cheap iron plates. I found that the cheapest ones tend to be a bit smaller than olympic bumpers which i think is handy as its easier getting them on.
    Meet PR: 230/ 135/ 262.5 [627.5] (in kgs)
    506/ 297/ 578 [1,381] (in lbs)

Weight: 92kg (202lbs)

vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50) vksak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im weak af but i rkn bumper
    Road to shredville...

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd go with bumpers too. You should be able to get some good deals with the holiday season starting up. Shop around. I got 4-45# bumper plates delivered for $215 a couple years ago.

makes a juicebox wet dannyautrey's Avatar
    dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scotpak1979 View Post
    Agree with above. Get at least 4-6 heavy bumper plates and make sure they are the correct diameter. Then just go for cheap iron plates. I found that the cheapest ones tend to be a bit smaller than olympic bumpers which i think is handy as its easier getting them on.
    I wouldn't intentionally get smaller plates. The leverage they'll have on the bar will deteriorate the bar and bumpers over time.

I don't know where you live, but rogue's High Gravity bumpers aren't bad on price. You can get 230lbs for about $375, or get a bar and bumper set for 595 and free shipping. The hi temp plates are even cheaper, but they're the real thick ones(only a problem if you plan on trying to load over 5 of them a side and don't use anything else).

Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trix11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My Gym has both Bumper and Steel Plates. Bumpers will probably last longer and be less torturous to your floors and equipment. Because of weight distribution, I tend to lift more on bumpers as opposed to thinner plates.

AFFerree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I figured as much, but still, I'm thankful for the input.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just remember with bumpers(depending on what you buy)you can only put so many on the bar.
    They twice the thickness as iron plates.
    You could get stronger than what you can put on the bar on something like deadlift or squat.
    Agree they are good for oly lifts.
    You could just buy iron plates and get some good rubber matting.

Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000) Poptartgainz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd start with 2-4 45lb bumpers and iron change plates (more cost effective) and then get some iron 45s when you need them.

As to your second question (I'm not really qualified to speak to this but...) if you have no prior lifting expieriance I would start on a basic strength program like starting strength. After you have a decent strength based you can do more strongman-specific work. Just my 2 cents
    *Sperries and Polos crew*

*Official misc blue eyes crew*

*Misc George Carlin Crew*

Oooooo I'm a ghost

SC: poptartgainz

lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Just remember with bumpers(depending on what you buy)you can only put so many on the bar.
    They twice the thickness as iron plates.
    You could get stronger than what you can put on the bar on something like deadlift or squat.
    Agree they are good for oly lifts.
    You could just buy iron plates and get some good rubber matting.
    That's what I was thinking. Bumpers wouldn't even get me halfway through my squat workout(sets of 410, 470, 525 tomorrow).

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can afford bumpers, get them. Eventually you'll want some iron though especially to test your deadlift strength, as bumpers can actually make a deadlift easier since you're overloading the bar so when you do your initial pull you can actually pull higher before all the weight's off the floor.

The Wichita Falls Novice Program would be a good choice for you with two minor alterations. Instead of alternating press and bench each workout, I'd push press one workout and strict press the other and stick to benching only once a week if you're focused solely on strongman. Clean all of your presses from the floor. I'd also have you rotating front squats and back squats as both are important in strongman.

So something like this....

Monday
    Back squat/front squat 3x5 (alternating)
    Push press 3x5
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    Front squat/back squat 3x5 (alternating)
    Bench press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5/Powerclean 5x3 (alternating)

Friday
    Back squat/front squat 3x5 (alternating)
    Strict press 3x5
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

That would just be my personal recommendation. I'd add some gripwork in at the end of each session also. Maybe hangs for time on Monday, plate pinches on Wednesday, and farmer's walks on Friday.