mudathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

45 and need some workout program advise...

Hello all, I am 45 years old and have been working out (body building) for at least 3 years. The last year I have really been getting into this and have been noticing that I am at a stand still in making a difference in getting stronger and/or getting bigger. I am a member at my local YMCA and started out on their Actvtrax program when I began and was on it for over 2 years. Once I began to talk to the other guys in the gym, I proceeded to get on a program that some of the guys put together for me and I have been getting stronger and you can definitely tell that I have been working out however I am wondering if I am not doing something right. Below is an example of my workout week;

Monday, chest (Gary Edwards 4 week bench workout)/Triceps/Abs
    Tuesday, Back/Biceps/Abs
    Weds Legs/Abs
    Thursday, Gary Edwards Chest again/Shoulders/Abs
    Friday. Back/Biceps/Abs
    Saturday (or Sunday) Traps/Abs.

Each of the above exercises I will do 4 different exercises for that muscle group, example. If I am doing biceps, I will get on the cable machine and do 4 sets of 10; barbell curl, 4 sets of 10; dumbbell curl, 4 sets of 10 and vbar curl, 4 sets of 10. I need to know if doing 4 separate exercise for one muscle group with 4 sets of 10 reps each is tooo much or not?

I have went from benching the standard 3 sets of 8 at 140/150lbs to a one rep max of 195 with the Gary Edwards program. I can do 3 sets of 10 of pull ups and so on as I am only 140lbs, so I have made a difference but it seems I am stuck on my bench, and bicep exercises. I take C4 before I work out and the Muscletech whey protein & Beverly Intl glutamine shake afterwards. I have really changed my diet and eat a lot of chicken and have laid off the sugary items and fattening items like fries and such. No other items do I take. I know it is hard to give me advise if I have not provided everything you guys might need to make a suggestion so if I have not covered something, please ask as I am really liking this working out stuff and really want to go forward and make great progress in getting better. Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have..

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You are 140lbs, do abs 6 days a week and aren't getting any bigger. My first impression is that you are probably too concerned with gaining bodyfat and not having abs to eat enough to get bigger.

Whatever else is right or wrong, if you want to get bigger and aren't, you aren't eating enough.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    150 x 8 = a 1 rep max of 191 pounds.

You have stated you have progressed and have worked up to a 1 rep max now of 195 pounds.

How long have you been running this program? 4 pound gain in BP is not all that impressive over a year span, if that is how long you have been running this. Now I know 1 rep calculated max totals are just that, calculated and are much tougher once you get to moving heavier weights, that however does not change the fact that you are not training maximally or eating to support your goals.

How much weight have you gained this year?
    What does your diet look like?

Typical failure protocols are in place for a decent program and they will have you reset the weight by a percent and work your way back up to break through plateaus. Change rep schemes, eat more, add in complimentary lifts that will help with lifting more, deload for a recovery, etc.

What are your numbers on the other big exercises, squats, deads, etc.?

Popular programs around here are Allpro, Fierce 5, starting strength, 531, Tom Mutaffis's Split, Strong lifts, etc.

I personally have run Allpro, and am currently running 531. If you have any questions about those I will try to help.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Eating a lot of chicken doesn't mean anything. In order to get stronger and grow you need to be eating in a calorie surplus. You should be gaining weight at a steady rate and if you're not it's because you don't eat enough.

Training abs everyday and all that isolation work isn't needed. Get on a program that's focused around the important compound lifts. These are the lifts that are crucial if you want to continue getting stronger and build a better foundation.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Beyond what others have already said about increasing your calories...

At our age it becomes increasingly important to find your personal balance between work done and recovery time needed. I'm guessing all those sets with only 1 rest day a week, you are overdoing it...which brings me to my next point...that's a LOT of sets/reps. I don't work out with you, so I don't know...but if you have enough juice to get through 16 sets for biceps, and can turn around and do that again 3 days later, you probably aren't working those sets as hard as you should be.

That Arnold volume training 3 workout 6 days a week usually only works for enhanced guys.

I'd personally do some research on upper/lower splits 4 days a week, full body 3 days a week, or even a bro split (if you like that volume work).

It's all MHO, but your workout seems like a recipe for overtraining at your (our) age.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Watsonm5 View Post
    I didn't start the negative comments. ONCE AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME... I AM A NEWBIE TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT WEIGHT LIFTING AND GET SOME GOOD ADVICE. THE PERSONAL ATTACKS FROM OTHERS WERE UNNECESSARY. If you knew me you would say i am completely harmless. No ill will towards anyone. Dead serious. Not my style. The problem is that forums due exactly this for no reason. Not trolling or anything like that. Just a little pissed at the "dog piling". Needed some good advice. Certainly not this. Life is too short.
    The point the other posters are making is this, as a newbie, you don't need to add to the confusion and be giving out advice that you yourself have not put in motion and you yourself have no experience with. People who give advice, are experienced enough to give it and have actually tested the advice they are giving. You are spouting off eat 8000 calories a day like the Rock and do beach body type workouts, none of which are relevant here.

Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    The point the other posters are making is this, as a newbie, you don't need to add to the confusion and be giving out advice that you yourself have not put in motion and you yourself have no experience with. People who give advice, are experienced enough to give it and have actually tested the advice they are giving. You are spouting off eat 8000 calories a day like the Rock and do beach body type workouts, none of which are relevant here.
    ...point taken. Guess I will just shut the "F" up, listen and work out from now on. Should make a few happy.
    Last edited by Watsonm5; 10-09-2015 at 12:17 PM.

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)
    At 45, you will need to watch your exercise volume since recovery becomes an issue. I would agree with focusing on compound movements (squat, bench, deadlifts, press, cleans) and following a good program that resets to break through sticking points. You mention a number of body parts, but I cannot tell if you are doing all isolation exercises (curls, dumbbell flys...) or compound movements (bench, squat..). As we get older, its the smaller gains we target and as long as you continue to progress its all good.

I get the fact that I am not eating enough and yes, that is true. I would like to know if the above workout is too much or not enough or good enough to continue with.

man has this thread taken a turn...

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mudathlete View Post
    I get the fact that I am not eating enough and yes, that is true. I would like to know if the above workout is too much or not enough or good enough to continue with.

Yes I personally feel your workout isn't working to your advantage. If you're trying to get stronger on the bigger lifts (like bench) doing a bunch of unnecessary isolation work (like a bicep curl) isn't going to get you there.

Lifting comes down to quality not quantity and doing more never means it's better.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Well, I thought I gave some food for thought and direction on that...but if you want a point blank answer, without knowing any more about you I would say it's "too much".

Have you done research on overtraining? What is your body telling you?
    Last edited by grubman; 10-09-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

you didn't really mention any lifts except your brocepts. what you listed were body parts, not a workout.
    OG

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

The only real way to judge that is whether you make progress on it or not. Most people (not all) find 6 days unsustainable. With 5 days a week you can do 2 on, 1 off, 3 on, 1 off so a max of 3 days in row. 6 days a week means 6 on, 1 off. The jump from 3 days in a row to 6 days in a row is huge.

I know nothing about Gary Edwards 4 week bench work out, but programmes with 4 weeks in the title are normally one of 2 things, either junk or a peaking programme.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

OK then, what do you guys suggest as a good all around workout then that would target my chest, back, arms and legs? Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks for the help..

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OK then, what do you guys suggest as a good all around workout then that would target my chest, back, arms and legs? Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks for the help..
    Click this link...read...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=168581133

Ask questions after that.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    so if I understand correctly, you need advice on chest and bicep exercises because you've it a plateau? you must command them to grow OP. I would eat the fries and sugary stuff as that is high in calories, which you need to grow. you weigh the same as my 15 year old son.

you're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6M4uzur8Q
    The Ageless Wonder Crew: Client, Player, President.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Watsonm5 View Post
    Guess I will just shut the "F" up, listen and work out from now on. Should make a few happy.
    This is the first reasonable thing I've seen you post in this forum. Troll someone else's thread like this again, and you're gone.

Moderators' patience is not infinite; not going to clean up after you again.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    you didn't really mention any lifts except your brocepts. what you listed were body parts, not a workout.
    you are right, the listed routine is what I am doing. I assume it is not a program and if that is what I need then I could use some help with that. I thought that working each muscle group was what needed to be done but I guess I am wrong here??? I am trying to learn as much as I can or could before posting and could really use any info you guys have.

When I started i could not bench much at all and I am proud of where I have come! There is alot of stuff to learn here thats for sure...

Registered User freedomworkshop's Avatar
    freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop freedomworkshop
    My aim is 10% bodyfat, 175lb by Dec 31, 2019. See my profile. I will update it obsessively.
    My Progress Blog: bodybuilding.mrlen.com

Registered User utahmandalorian's Avatar
    utahmandalorian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have tried a handful of programs over the past 18 months. I and others have noticed some awesome changes in my body. Don't be afraid to try some different programs and supplements. Dial in to what works best for you, and that will keep you motivated.

2knives has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello all, I am 45 years old and have been working out (body building) for at least 3 years. The last year I have really been getting into this and have been noticing that I am at a stand still in making a difference in getting stronger and/or getting bigger. I am a member at my local YMCA and started out on their Actvtrax program when I began and was on it for over 2 years. Once I began to talk to the other guys in the gym, I proceeded to get on a program that some of the guys put together for me and I have been getting stronger and you can definitely tell that I have been working out however I am wondering if I am not doing something right. Below is an example of my workout week;

Monday, chest (Gary Edwards 4 week bench workout)/Triceps/Abs
    Tuesday, Back/Biceps/Abs
    Weds Legs/Abs
    Thursday, Gary Edwards Chest again/Shoulders/Abs
    Friday. Back/Biceps/Abs
    Saturday (or Sunday) Traps/Abs.

Each of the above exercises I will do 4 different exercises for that muscle group, example. If I am doing biceps, I will get on the cable machine and do 4 sets of 10; barbell curl, 4 sets of 10; dumbbell curl, 4 sets of 10 and vbar curl, 4 sets of 10. I need to know if doing 4 separate exercise for one muscle group with 4 sets of 10 reps each is tooo much or not?

I have went from benching the standard 3 sets of 8 at 140/150lbs to a one rep max of 195 with the Gary Edwards program. I can do 3 sets of 10 of pull ups and so on as I am only 140lbs, so I have made a difference but it seems I am stuck on my bench, and bicep exercises. I take C4 before I work out and the Muscletech whey protein & Beverly Intl glutamine shake afterwards. I have really changed my diet and eat a lot of chicken and have laid off the sugary items and fattening items like fries and such. No other items do I take. I know it is hard to give me advise if I have not provided everything you guys might need to make a suggestion so if I have not covered something, please ask as I am really liking this working out stuff and really want to go forward and make great progress in getting better. Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have..
    Right off of the top i would say you should have more rest days ...like 2 on one off or 3 on one off, and increase calories to about 3000+, get a little fat and worry about cuts next spring.
    Do not type things you would not say to my face!

2knives has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, if i read correctly you use a preworkout with stims and I would say cut that out.
    It turns up your metabolism and for us small dudes do not need help burning muscle!
    Do not type things you would not say to my face!