oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Previous back injury- should I deadlift again?

20 years ago I badly herniated 2 discs, l 4-5 area. 17 years ago I had laminectomy / discectomy to correct it. (had to repeat the procedure a year later)

I am feeling really good now, mostly because of years of yoga and stretching. The last 2 years I started lifting weights again on a regular routine 3x a week. I don't have any back pain at all doing squats or deadlift, but I'm very careful, and keep the weights light.

I want to get stronger, and am thinking about going heavier. Is this foolish? My doctor said take it easy, but wtf does he know

squat, eat, rest, repeat. gleason73's Avatar
    gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by oceansapart View Post
    20 years ago I badly herniated 2 discs, l 4-5 area. 17 years ago I had laminectomy / discectomy to correct it. (had to repeat the procedure a year later)

I am feeling really good now, mostly because of years of yoga and stretching. The last 2 years I started lifting weights again on a regular routine 3x a week. I don't have any back pain at all doing squats or deadlift, but I'm very careful, and keep the weights light.

I want to get stronger, and am thinking about going heavier. Is this foolish? My doctor said take it easy, but wtf does he know
    sounds like you already are deadlifting?

just be smart and progress in weight slowly to avoid any possible strain or injury.

herniated two discs in 2013, took a year to rehab and lift heavily again - but will never hit the numbers I did then.

Just have to accept these things in these later years...
    Old, beat up and still lifting
    Olympic Weightlifting Coach
    @gleason73 and @fit_natasha on IG
    Best Lifts
    Snatch: 100kg
    Clean and Jerk: 130kg
    Bench: 285lbs
    Squat: 450lbs
    Deadlift: 660lbs

oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceansapart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gleason73-

Thanks good to hear you have recovered so well. I am doing very light deadlift now. About 60kg 6-8 reps after a year of slow improvement.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    McGill big 3. Google it and do them daily.

Yes. good ones!

Most yoga teachers in the world know those poses, just not with the name McGill attached.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if the reward is greater than the risk, yes, if not, no. there's a risk in everything though, so you need to decide in the end.
    The Ageless Wonder Crew: Client, Player, President.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My doctor said take it easy, but wtf does he know
    You're right. WTF does a doctor know. Go ahead and deadlift heavy OP. What could go wrong? I'm sure your doctor is just full of shyt. And if you herniate that disc again, no doubt he'll be waiting with his hands out to take your money.

Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm curious how people herniate their disks. Once they are herniated most people don't do heavy DL's, but I rarely hear about how the initial injury occurs.

I'm currently working on getting to a 600 DL (I pull sumo), I'm wondering if people hurt their backs doing heavy DL's or in some other way. Am I setting myself up for a disaster?
    Its not enough!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

I want to get stronger, and am thinking about going heavier. Is this foolish? My doctor said take it easy,

...........but wtf does he know
    If he's a Board-Certified Orthopedist, it's highly likely that he knows enough to possibly keep you from putting yourself in a wheelchair (or worse) for the rest of your life. If he's not, you've been examined by the wrong doctor; get a 2nd opinion from an Ortho, preferably someone with a Sports Medicine background. This isn't your elbow you're asking about; it's your spine. Screw it up any worse than it already is, and the consequences may be far more serious than you can imagine.

ETA:

If you're just fishing for advices from random bodybuilders with no medical expertise, stay away from Deadlifts until an Ortho gives you a green light to proceed.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 10-08-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes!!
    Your BuffMother, Michelle Berger
    Owner http://www.BuffMother.com

Current journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169126173&page=1

I love random advise Actually I was fishing for some of the many people here with similar back injuries, like Gleason73. My doctor is a fat old GP. I do need to see a good ortho, good advise.

* Leaning towards stopping traditional deadlifts, and going with light rack pulls. Substitute barbell squats for walking lunges. *

Tmax55-
    I did mine as a stupid kid in a hurry late at night. Pushing a very heavy boat off the beach, I was really putting my shoulder into it when I felt this strange electric jolt and everything went weak. Years of sciatic pain later I finally got the surgery. It was Ashtanga yoga that made me healthy again. Cannot recommend that enough to those with back injuries. It won't fix the sciatica, but will give you core strength and flexibility like nothing else.

Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If he's a Board-Certified Orthopedist, it's highly likely that he knows enough to possibly keep you from putting yourself in a wheelchair (or worse) for the rest of your life. If he's not, you've been examined by the wrong doctor; get a 2nd opinion from an Ortho, preferably someone with a Sports Medicine background. This isn't your elbow you're asking about; it's your spine. Screw it up any worse than it already is, and the consequences may be far more serious than you can imagine.

ETA:

If you're just fishing for advices from random bodybuilders with no medical expertise, stay away from Deadlifts until an Ortho gives you a green light to proceed.
    Agreed

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    .....people here with similar back injuries......
    But that's the problem with seeking injury advice; every circumstance is different, and even an Orthopedist would never offer such advice randomly here other than to tell you to get examined/diagnosed in-person.

Again, it's your spinal column at issue; one wrong move on your part, and you're dealing with a lifetime of debilitating pain....or much worse.

Usually, I summarily lock these 'back injury vs weight training' threads as soon as I see them. Not sure why I left this one open. I would think someone who's already had to go under the knife would never want to risk having to go through it again.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suffered for a decade with debilitating disk issues. I rarely deadlift, and find traditional BB DLs aggravate my issues.

But that's me. A trap bar is much better for me, but in general I've developed a decent physique without the DL.

Choose what is best for you.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Start with an empty bar and do good mornings, up to 8 reps. Follow that with slight decline pull overs. Add sets very slowly, same thing with weight, increase very slowly, use weights that your Mother could use.
    Do what's right.

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tmax55 View Post
    I'm curious how people herniate their disks. Once they are herniated most people don't do heavy DL's, but I rarely hear about how the initial injury occurs.
    Where do you keep your wallet? Yes, this is a serious question. Hurrying across a street in pouring rain I stepped in an oily spot and fell on my @ss. Well, more precisely my fall was broken by my wallet in my back left pocket. And the rough landing gave me a "serious herniation at L5S1." That was 15 months ago and I just got the approval this month to return to lifting on an "ease into it" basis.

Avoid it if you can. You don't want to feel like you are sitting on broken glass every time you step into a car, sit in a chair, or even do #2 on the toilet.

And carry your wallet in your front pocket.

Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love random advise Actually I was fishing for some of the many people here with similar back injuries, like Gleason73. My doctor is a fat old GP. I do need to see a good ortho, good advise.

* Leaning towards stopping traditional deadlifts, and going with light rack pulls. Substitute barbell squats for walking lunges. *

Tmax55-
    I did mine as a stupid kid in a hurry late at night. Pushing a very heavy boat off the beach, I was really putting my shoulder into it when I felt this strange electric jolt and everything went weak. Years of sciatic pain later I finally got the surgery. It was Ashtanga yoga that made me healthy again. Cannot recommend that enough to those with back injuries. It won't fix the sciatica, but will give you core strength and flexibility like nothing else.
    Thanks
    Its not enough!

Originally Posted by Zjunky View Post
    Where do you keep your wallet? Yes, this is a serious question. Hurrying across a street in pouring rain I stepped in an oily spot and fell on my @ss. Well, more precisely my fall was broken by my wallet in my back left pocket. And the rough landing gave me a "serious herniation at L5S1." That was 15 months ago and I just got the approval this month to return to lifting on an "ease into it" basis.

Avoid it if you can. You don't want to feel like you are sitting on broken glass every time you step into a car, sit in a chair, or even do #2 on the toilet.

And carry your wallet in your front pocket.
    I'm married with three kids...I don't keep a wallet - seriously.
    Its not enough!