Registered User anaveragegolfer's Avatar
    anaveragegolfer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Martial Arts Conditioning

Hello,

I have 6 weeks before my next grading, I would like to find out the best method in training my legs so they don't become 'Heavy' towards the end.

what sort of leg workouts or endurance would be best for me to start focusing on.

currently doing cardio 4 days and lifting 2.

Thanks,

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out Joel Jamison's conditioning stuff on the web.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by anaveragegolfer View Post
    Hello,

I have 6 weeks before my next grading, I would like to find out the best method in training my legs so they don't become 'Heavy' towards the end.

what sort of leg workouts or endurance would be best for me to start focusing on.

currently doing cardio 4 days and lifting 2.

Thanks,
    What type of martial arts and what are you being graded on? I do TKD and I find the best conditioning for me is jump rope (for bouncing/sparring), squats (for leg power), all sorts of ab work (endurance while kicking).

Ultimately practicing your forms/kicks/poses/whatever over and over are going to yield the best results. You might want to consider lifting more than just 2 days a week. Depending on the art, a full weight lifting schedule will help balance out your exercise routines and make you stronger just "over all" which should bleed through. IMO of course. I'm not a master.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

Originally Posted by skelooth View Post
    What type of martial arts and what are you being graded on? I do TKD and I find the best conditioning for me is jump rope (for bouncing/sparring), squats (for leg power), all sorts of ab work (endurance while kicking).

Ultimately practicing your forms/kicks/poses/whatever over and over are going to yield the best results. You might want to consider lifting more than just 2 days a week. Depending on the art, a full weight lifting schedule will help balance out your exercise routines and make you stronger just "over all" which should bleed through. IMO of course. I'm not a master.
    Currently doing Kyokushin Karate, I guess im after training that will help with lactic acid build up in the legs throughout the duration of the grading. Nothing worse then having 10 fights left and unable to move :/ My overall fitness is best its ever been but just looking for that extra edge.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Currently doing Kyokushin Karate, I guess im after training that will help with lactic acid build up in the legs throughout the duration of the grading. Nothing worse then having 10 fights left and unable to move :/ My overall fitness is best its ever been but just looking for that extra edge.
    I think just repeating the movements (maybe even nice and slow) would still be your best bet. I'm not familiar with Karate so I can't say for sure beyond that. I tend to struggle more with cardio endurance than I do muscle fatigue. Don't discount your stretching game either. Being limber may or may not help with the muscle fatigue.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I imagine you're doing FC rounds for your grading. I prep for the same thing, I would do hundreds of squat/front kicks into a kick shield when I had a partner and lunge/round kicks into a heavy bag when I didn't. That was a long time ago. And it still works

Kyokushin based systems are about mental strength more than physical. Normally, I'd have some in depth cardio and endurance tips, but for this, go old school. You just have to train hard and fight easy.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    I imagine you're doing FC rounds for your grading. I prep for the same thing, I would do hundreds of squat/front kicks into a kick shield when I had a partner and lunge/round kicks into a heavy bag when I didn't. That was a long time ago. And it still works

Kyokushin based systems are about mental strength more than physical. Normally, I'd have some in depth cardio and endurance tips, but for this, go old school. You just have to train hard and fight easy.
    Yeah sweet, will look into that.

looking forward to slugging it out for 25 rounds haha, you're not wrong about the mental side of it.

Cheers

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah sweet, will look into that.

looking forward to slugging it out for 25 rounds haha, you're not wrong about the mental side of it.

Cheers
    Clarification: I said " I prep for". That's a typo. I "prepped" - and that was actually before you were born. I was fortunate enough to complete the 40 (and 50) man kumite.

While your fitness is key, your mental strength is far more important.

Fall down seven times - get up eight

JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JWoodCF10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your lactate threshold will not change much in the next 6 weeks. Even with all the will in the world. Your general conditioning can be improved, and your mental toughness can change as you get closer to the grading.

I have never graded kyokoshin, but used to compete in it (used to love the crystal palace comp's), and I always liked the sparing, the kicks to the legs and the punches to the chest were brutal, and I don't think I ever got used to it, but I became able to deal with it.

The heaviness in the legs, I always felt was a mental block to get over rather than a physical block.

What grade are you going for?
    Things that are free have no value!

DL 150kg
    Squat 130kg
    BP 100kg
    Press (shamefully) 45kg

lifelaughlearn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would recommend sled/prowler pushing. I has helped me a great deal in all kinds of areas, especially in regards to leg strength and lactic acid tolerance. I'm no expert but its something I highly recommend. I hope that helps and best of luck with your grading!

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want your kicks to be strong and enduring, then kick. A lot. Squat kicks as mentioned are good, you can do it for front and roundhouse kicks. Or just pick a kick and get to a heavy bag or a friend holding pads. You can go for high reps, you can do Tabata drills, lots of different ways. It wouldn't be a bad idea for after to have a buddy land some low kicks on you to mentally prepare you for the low kicks you'll be taking either.

koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) koepat01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well done

jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100) jamzmaxwell is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great work done by you