alessa1235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Developed egg white intolerance -- at 27?!

Hi all,

I was used to getting a huge chunk of my daily protein from eggs and egg whites. Then, at the beginning of the summer I started experiencing some severe sharp stomach pain. Fast forward to now, and I discovered that what makes my stomach hurt so much are egg whites. If I have hard-boiled whole eggs (no more than 1), my stomach is ok but if I have any more egg white in a different form (or pure egg whites) my stomach will kill me. I never experienced anything like this before and I was wondering if it has happened to anyone else and if it got better (I read some stories about people who got better after they stopped eating eggs for a while).

Thanks in advance!

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    the thread is actually handy, right! it's not just me being a dick!

anyhow OP get you to a doctor
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Its the egg whites CAUSING the pain. As in, I eat egg, I have pain. I eat anything else there is no pain. No need to "enlighten me" with a bodybuilding.com thread on correlation v. causation; I understand they are different. I was just looking to see if this had happened to anyone else.

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    the thread is actually handy, right! it's not just me being a dick!

anyhow OP get you to a doctor
    I understand correlation and causation already. The egg CAUSES the pain. Ok?

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by alessa1235 View Post
    a DOCTOR is the only person who should be giving you medical advice. so you need to schedule an appointment and ask your doctor "what should i do if egg whites are causing stomach discomfort?"

until then i'd suggest that maybe, JUST MAYBE, keep in mind i'm not a medical professional, but maybe you should not eat egg whites.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It seems like you're confusing correlation with causation.

Swing by the doctors office and tell them whats up. Nobody on an internet forum is going to be able to fix that one for you.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Then I would suggest eating one of the other hundreds/thousands of sources of protein.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Then I would suggest eating one of the other hundreds/thousands of sources of protein.
    no pain no gain.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    how did you isolate it from all other factors ? and whats special about egg whites that can cause pain ?

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Its the egg whites CAUSING the pain. As in, I eat egg, I have pain. I eat anything else there is no pain. No need to "enlighten me" with a bodybuilding.com thread on correlation v. causation; I understand they are different. I was just looking to see if this had happened to anyone else.
    Maybe you are allergic to eggs? It's a common allergy. You could get food allergy testing if you really want to know more.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Maybe you are allergic to eggs? It's a common allergy. You could get food allergy testing if you really want to know more.
    Thank you for your response! That's what came to mind after researching for a while.

I isolated it from the other foods I eat just by trying the egg alone after an overnight fast, or late at night about 4 hours after last eating something. Every time it was egg (versus chicken or beef or some other food not containing egg) I got excruciating pain about 45 minutes after eating. It's been the same each time. So I looked it up and egg allergy (or mild intolerance not producing an inflammatory response outside the stomach) is what came up. I had gone to the doctor before I had figured out it was the egg and she ran tests for everything except allergies--they all turned up nothing.

And obviously I'll stop eating them. (last time I ate an egg was 4 days ago and that was the last time I was in pain). I just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten a food allergy as an adult.
    Last edited by alessa1235; 09-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Chasing self-improvement. ShyGuyXS's Avatar
    ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000) ShyGuyXS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for your response! That's what came to mind after researching for a while.
    That is possibly the case (having dietary needs change as a result of disease/allergies isn't unheard of for adults), but your doctor will be the best one to go to for confirming that.

I myself have been very fortunate not to have discovered any food allergies. I know other adults in my family who have allergies to seafood (i.e. clams) and the like - unfortunately I don't know whether they've lasted since childhood or are more recent developments.
    It's about progress, not perfection.

I'm not an expert when it comes to most aspects of life; sometimes, I have no idea what I'm doing. The more I learn, the more I can do, and the more I can pay it forward and help others.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten a food allergy as an adult.
    Its quite common actually. Like for example dairy/lactose. I read somewhere that you may have a finite supply/potential of certain enzymes.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten a food allergy as an adult.
    And theee's no way Google could tell you something like that.

On a more serious note, make sure you throw the shells away.
    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I have hard-boiled whole eggs (no more than 1), my stomach is ok but if I have any more egg white in a different form (or pure egg whites) my stomach will kill me. I never experienced anything like this before and I was wondering if it has happened to anyone else and if it got better (I read some stories about people who got better after they stopped eating eggs for a while).
    I isolated it from the other foods I eat just by trying the egg alone after an overnight fast, or late at night about 4 hours after last eating something. Every time it was egg (versus chicken or beef or some other food not containing egg) I got excruciating pain about 45 minutes after eating. It's been the same each time. So I looked it up and egg allergy (or mild intolerance not producing an inflammatory response outside the stomach) is what came up. I had gone to the doctor before I had figured out it was the egg and she ran tests for everything except allergies--they all turned up nothing.

And obviously I'll stop eating them. (last time I ate an egg was 4 days ago and that was the last time I was in pain). I just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten a food allergy as an adult.
    From your description it doesn't look like you have the actual allergy to eggs. You are saying that you can handle eating 1 hard-boiled egg with no reaction. Then you state that your pain is caused only after eating eggs. Do you realize that eggs are present in many kinds of foods like baked products, sauces, candies, coffee drinks, etc and even wine?

Obviously you need to get a qualified opinion from a doctor. To me it sounds like mental reaction that is causing physical symptoms.
    Last edited by Jetigen; 09-20-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

Originally Posted by MetilHed View Post
    And theee's no way Google could tell you something like that.

On a more serious note, make sure you throw the shells away.

I did google it and looked in scholarly databases and found some stuff. I wanted to see if anyone in in here had experienced it and what their experience was like. I am sorry if I am wasting precious forum space with such a question </sarcasm>.

Originally Posted by ShyGuyXS View Post
    That is possibly the case (having dietary needs change as a result of disease/allergies isn't unheard of for adults), but your doctor will be the best one to go to for confirming that.

I myself have been very fortunate not to have discovered any food allergies. I know other adults in my family who have allergies to seafood (i.e. clams) and the like - unfortunately I don't know whether they've lasted since childhood or are more recent developments.
    Thank you. Will be heading to my doctor next week to see if she can run the allergy/intolerance tests on me.

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    From your description it doesn't look like you have the actual allergy to eggs. You are saying that you can handle eating 1 hard-boiled egg with no reaction. Then you state that your pain is caused only after eating eggs. Do you realize that eggs are present in many kinds of foods like baked products, sauces, candies, coffee drinks, etc and even wine?

Obviously you need to get a qualified opinion from a doctor. To me it sounds like mental reaction that is causing physical symptoms.
    You're right. It would not be a full-blown allergy because if it were I would be getting the hives and difficulty breathing and so forth. However, there are food intolerances which produce a localized histamine/inflammation response in the digestive track. Here is the entry from webmd for what its worth:

"It’s pretty common to have a reaction to a certain food, but in most cases it’s an intolerance rather than a true allergy. Why does it matter? Although they may have similar symptoms, a food allergy can be more serious.

These clues can help you figure out if it is an allergy or intolerance. A doctor can help you know for sure.

Food Allergy:

Usually comes on suddenly
    Small amount of food can trigger
    Happens every time you eat the food
    Can be life-threatening

Food Intolerance:

Usually comes on gradually
    May only happen when you eat a lot of the food
    May only happen if you eat the food often
    Is not life-threatening"

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Its quite common actually. Like for example dairy/lactose. I read somewhere that you may have a finite supply/potential of certain enzymes.
    Oh wow. That's scary/interesting. Will look that up. I think the lactose one may be more common too.