lightitup33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Finding a trainer for obese client-questions to ask trainer

Hi,

I just posted about this in another section but it seems this question is better suited here.

I am contemplating getting a trainer. I am 100 lbs overweight and previously had a trainer who had me doing cross-fit type workouts that were totally inappropriate for my weight. I did not renew with that trainer.

Now I am investigating trainers at my new gym and I want to know what kind of questions should I be asking potential trainers? I obviously want to know about their history of working with obese clients and what a typical training session and progression would be like. What else should I ask?

Before I gained the 100 lbs, I did see a trainer regularly for a few years so I am not afraid of the gym and I really don't care about being the only fat person working out in the middle of a bunch of people who are fit so the typical total beginner issues around embarrassment and trying new things don't apply to me.

adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10) adamhartleynpc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Where are you located? Sometimes that makes a difference as well sadly enough.

I would look for qualifications.

What type of Certification. The top in my opinion are NASM and ACE, but others aren't bad, those just seem to be the best right now.
    What else qualifies them. Have they gone through a transformation on their own? Do they have clients that have lost a significant amount of weight and been successful? What type of programs do they do?

I agree crossfit workouts are highly inappropriate for most clients but especially for someone significantly overweight. They are very hard on your joints and your body doesn't need that right now. It needs relieve.

For reference I trained a guy that was 350, had been 350 for over a decade and probably had everything known to man wrong with him. He was even on treatments to kill his testosterone because he had previous had prostate cancer. So HUGE challenge. After working with him for around 5 months, he'd dropped to around 295. He hadn't been that weight in over a decade. No crossfit, no extreme dieting. Just moving a bit more than he was used to, tightening up his caloric intake and doing a tiny bit of cardio (although not much!). Small changes and they worked. They won't work forever, but they certainly will starting out.

I'd caution you against anyone that tells you they can make changes for you in a fast amount of time as well. That means they may not be going about it the safest way.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) baramund is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by lightitup33 View Post
    Hi,

I just posted about this in another section but it seems this question is better suited here.

I am contemplating getting a trainer. I am 100 lbs overweight and previously had a trainer who had me doing cross-fit type workouts that were totally inappropriate for my weight. I did not renew with that trainer.

Now I am investigating trainers at my new gym and I want to know what kind of questions should I be asking potential trainers? I obviously want to know about their history of working with obese clients and what a typical training session and progression would be like. What else should I ask?

Before I gained the 100 lbs, I did see a trainer regularly for a few years so I am not afraid of the gym and I really don't care about being the only fat person working out in the middle of a bunch of people who are fit so the typical total beginner issues around embarrassment and trying new things don't apply to me.
    come up with a 2 year plan to get in shape, gradual is better, less loose skin from losing weight too quickly

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One suggestion I always have is to watch the trainers while you're working out. Especially if they are working with someone overweight. See how they pay attention, what exercises they do and how the trainer is treating and coaching them. If you see a trainer and like their style, approach them and see if you get along.

Don't just take whatever trainer is available - interview them and ask them for references of people they have worked with previously. In terms of questions it is really getting to know their approach and if their philosophy meshes with your structure.

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    One suggestion I always have is to watch the trainers while you're working out. Especially if they are working with someone overweight. See how they pay attention, what exercises they do and how the trainer is treating and coaching them. If you see a trainer and like their style, approach them and see if you get along.

Don't just take whatever trainer is available - interview them and ask them for references of people they have worked with previously. In terms of questions it is really getting to know their approach and if their philosophy meshes with your structure.
    This is solid advice actually....watch them for a few weeks and make an assessment from there
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~