PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question What is strength training? (power lifting)

Main question:
    • Why isn't it optimal to do as many sets as possible of 1RM? (dropping by 5-10% when you cannot do a certain weight safely anymore)
    • Is strength training basically building a stronger signal which goes from the brain to your working muscles?
    • What are your strength routines for power lifting?
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." -Julius Caesar

adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) adamsz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    here's a decent video which should answer your main question:

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhilNZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by adamsz View Post
    here's a decent video which should answer your main question:

He's saying there is a cycle that optimizes strength gains

Time needed to complete a single cycle
    • Advanced lifters (you only make 1 PR per year): 1 YEAR
    • Intermediate lifters (you can make many PRs in a year): 4 MONTHS
    • Beginner lifters (you make PRs weekly): 1 WEEK

Single Cycle
    • Gain muscle Increases your potential for strength gains
      Hypertrophy training: 6 - 12 reps, 60% - 75% intensity, long workout
    • Optimize muscle fibers for strength Reach potential strength gains
      Strength training: 2 - 6 reps, 75% - 90% intensity, medium workout
    • Peaking Prepare to hit PR
      1RM training: 1 rep, 90% intensity, short workout
    RESULT
    Have more strength than you did before the cycle
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." -Julius Caesar

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Firstly, I like the effort you put into your font. Visually pleasing to read I gotta say.

Secondly, its not optimal to do many sets of 1RM because of the terrible relationship between the fatigue you're placing on your body, with the superb LACK of actual training volume to promote hypertrophy, and even CNS adaptions to a large degree.

Originally Posted by PhilNZ View Post
    He's saying there is a cycle that optimizes strength gains

Time needed to complete a single cycle
    • Advanced lifters (you only make 1 PR per year): 1 YEAR
    • Intermediate lifters (you can make many PRs in a year): 4 MONTHS
    • Beginner lifters (you make PRs weekly): 1 WEEK

Single Cycle
    • Gain muscle Increases your potential for strength gains
      Hypertrophy training: 6 - 12 reps, 60% - 75% intensity, long workout
    • Optimize muscle fibers for strength Reach potential strength gains
      Strength training: 2 - 6 reps, 75% - 90% intensity, medium workout
    • Peaking Prepare to hit PR
      1RM training: 1 rep, 90% intensity, short workout
    RESULT
    Have more strength than you did before the cycle

People disagree with the real definition of 'intermediate' and 'advanced', but so long as you know where you're at, it doesn't matter what you call it. The one thing though is that I think you've taken things slightly too far in your interpretation of the peaking part, specifically in context to the video where the peak occurs for 1-2 months. You're generally not going to spend all that time doing mainly singles.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Main question:
    • Why isn't it optimal to do as many sets as possible of 1RM? (dropping by 5-10% when you cannot do a certain weight safely anymore)
    • Is strength training basically building a stronger signal which goes from the brain to your working muscles?
    • What are your strength routines for power lifting?
    Simply put, it is more optimal to do as many sets of singles with a high percentage. However, that's just not practical. For example, let's say you did 315 for 3x8, that's 7650 lbs of volume, and as we know, volume is the main driver of progress. To receive that same tonage(volume) at a higher percentage, we would use ~385 or 85% of your one rep max. You would need to do 19 sets of singles to receive a slightly more optimal training effect vs doing 3 sets. In my and many other's opinion, it's just not worth it.

Furthermore, your volume needs to increase as you get stronger, but the time you have in the gym does not increase, so you need to be able to squeeze in more volume in the same amount of time. Singles just isn't as efficient at doing that then high rep sets.

To answer your next question, to an extent. Having bigger muscles also helps.

I follow an RTS fully autoregulated approach to powerlifting, which allows me to manipulate volume depending on the day.

I thought strength was gained through maximal effort only?

You can get that 'grind' at the end of any kind of set:
    (power = work/time. high power = higher 1RM)
    60% effort into 20 reps, you'll grind through that last rep but that isn't training your CNS to output maximal 'power' so it isn't optimal for strength training
    90% effort into 1 rep, you'll grind through that single rep and it'll train your CNS to output maximal 'power' as you're pushing the heaviest weight possible which makes it easier over time?

I didn't know that volume helps increase strength..

Explain pls
    Last edited by PhilNZ; 09-12-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 308smk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think we better get Kenny Croxdale in here to sort this all out.

Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kameronn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Strength is definitely not gained through maximal effort only. Strength is gained through neural adaptations mainly, so working within the 1-5 rep range is the best way to gain strength, while working with higher reps is more geared toward maximal hypertrophy. That being said, it's not cut and dry. You will gain strength and muscle doing both rep ranges.

However, understand this. The intensity determines the effect of the training load, while volume determines the magnitude of the training effect.

EDIT: Here's a picture to help with it

Last edited by Kameronn; 09-13-2015 at 01:14 AM.

Originally Posted by Kameronn View Post
    Strength is definitely not gained through maximal effort only. Strength is gained through neural adaptations mainly, so working within the 1-5 rep range is the best way to gain strength, while working with higher reps is more geared toward maximal hypertrophy. That being said, it's not cut and dry. You will gain strength and muscle doing both rep ranges.

However, understand this. The intensity determines the effect of the training load, while volume determines the magnitude of the training effect.

EDIT: Here's a picture to help with it

I know that whatever training you perform, you're always going to train a bit of the other things as well (or maybe a lot depending on how similar your type of training is to another type)

but my question still remains unanswered..

MAIN QUESTION:
    Why isn't it optimal to ALWAYS train with 1-5reps if you're aiming ONLY to build strength?
    Why can't someone just smash out 1-5reps for an hour every day?

I know that more muscle = more potential strength, but shouldn't someone maximise their strength at their current mass before gaining more mass? Or does it become more difficult the closer you get to your maximal strength at your current weight?

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
    The optimal way to train strength and the theory behind it
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

This should help.

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 308smk View Post
    please no
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 308smk View Post
    pls no

I know that whatever training you perform, you're always going to train a bit of the other things as well (or maybe a lot depending on how similar your type of training is to another type)

but my question still remains unanswered..

MAIN QUESTION:
    Why isn't it optimal to ALWAYS train with 1-5reps if you're aiming ONLY to build strength?
    Why can't someone just smash out 1-5reps for an hour every day?

There are periods in training where more volume is better. But the thing is, our recovery is limited. Hence the utilisation of higher reps in order to meet this volume requirement, rather than trying to do it with heavier weight and burying ourselves.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshuadelapenha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is no one optimal way to train. Sounds like you are looking for some magic formula m8.
    Inquiries: delapenhafitness@gmail.com

Squat-375 September 2013
    Bench-275 January 2014
    Deadlift-450x2 March 2014

Originally Posted by joshuadelapenha View Post
    There is no one optimal way to train. Sounds like you are looking for some magic formula m8.
    Not magical formula -.-

Optimal way <----
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000) budreiser2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not magical formula -.-

Optimal way <----
    You will never train optimally. You will only train as close to optimally as you can. The optimal way to train is always changing, and it will be different for different people. You can try to train as close to optimal as you can but you will never reach it.

You can "smash out 1-5 reps for an hour every day" but that might not be what is right depending on other conditions, like training age, injuries, individual training needs, etc.

Doing that would also leave almost no room for progression. and what works right now, will not work forever.
    training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168740593&p=1386688073#post1386688073
    IG: truebrofessor
    Best raw w/ sleeves lifts
    495/390/640

Originally Posted by budreiser2 View Post
    You will never train optimally. You will only train as close to optimally as you can. The optimal way to train is always changing, and it will be different for different people. You can try to train as close to optimal as you can but you will never reach it.

You can "smash out 1-5 reps for an hour every day" but that might not be what is right depending on other conditions, like training age, injuries, individual training needs, etc.

Doing that would also leave almost no room for progression. and what works right now, will not work forever.
    I meant optimal for your current situation of course..

But what IS the most close to optimal way, how do you find it?
    DeadL - 475lbs
    Squat - 420lbs
    Bench - 285lbs

BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50) BabySwole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In my opinion, I'll use my numbers for example. If I go in the gym and every bench workout (2-3x a week) I load up for singles with 90%+ Yes you MAY make gains but the stress of constantly working at that level intensity would just be too much. The more weight you can handle is great but when you're frying your CNS and beating the hell out of your joints thats not training smart. Which for more advanced lifters is where periodization comes in.
    Current lifts / RAW goals @ 181

Bench........445 / 465
    Squat........650 / 700
    Deadlift......675 / 715

Sanctioned best RAW S/B/DL
    584/435/661 Total 1681 USPA Nationals July 14th 2018
    551/402/655 Total 1614 (Torn hip flexor -__-) Jan 7th 2018 LA Fit Expo
    518/352/562 Total 1433 w/ Bronchitis 4/3/2016
    405/355/500 Total 1260 03/09/2013

Instagram: @kingpensonlifts
    subscribe to me on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChadPensonPowerlifting

I meant optimal for your current situation of course..

But what IS the most close to optimal way, how do you find it?
    Too difficult to answer. We need to know where you are in your training age, training past, etc.