sreejithb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake with or without carb?

Hi,

This is my first forum post, so go easy on me

I recently made the switch from EAS Myoplex to PES Select. I realized that Myoplex was more of a diet replacement since it had carb. But PES Select has only 1g of carb every serving.

Is there any benefit of having carbs in your Post-workout shake? Does it make a difference drinking carbs along with protein within 30 mins of work out?

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is much research out there showing benefits to having just protein or just carbohydrates. In general, a mix of the 2 generally will yield the best effects in terms of MPS and glycogen replenishment depending upon when your next training that muscle group
    advertising not permitted

thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sreejithb View Post
    Hi,

This is my first forum post, so go easy on me

I recently made the switch from EAS Myoplex to PES Select. I realized that Myoplex was more of a diet replacement since it had carb. But PES Select has only 1g of carb every serving.

Is there any benefit of having carbs in your Post-workout shake? Does it make a difference drinking carbs along with protein within 30 mins of work out?
    This is difficult to answer without knowing what the rest of your diet look like, your training regimen, your current health, and your goals. There are some general points that can be made though.

Carbs in a post-workout shake are probably a positive if you're training to add muscle mass because they will help spike your insulin, which will drive nutrients into your muscles and stimulate protein synthesis (fat synthesis will also be stimulated too; this is why a "clean bulk" is such a challenge). The right ratio of carbs to protein for a clean bulk hasn't really been elucidated and likely varies between individuals significantly. I hear the 3:1 ratio quote by nutritionists.

Carbs before a workout are likely helpful too in that they'll help maintain muscle glycogen levels. Carb cycling is often used by athletes in order to optimize muscle glycogen levels. Protein is obviously great before workouts too. Personally, I would struggle through a workout with too much food on my stomach though. The body will shunt blood to the digestive tract rather than the musculature.
    ☑*CountryMike Appreciation Crew*☑

***All Reviews Accessible on BodySpace Page***

sreejithb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thackes1 View Post
    This is difficult to answer without knowing what the rest of your diet look like, your training regimen, your current health, and your goals. .
    Thanks for the answer. I am actually not in shape and my main goal is to lose fat and get a lean body. I have been controlling my diet for this and also include lot of cardio into my training.

But cardio alone is boring and therefore, I have been doing weights (and fortunately seeing some results).

I guess for my case, I will stay away from carbs in my post workout shake to avoid the unnecessary fat synthesis. I will get my carbs from my regular food.

thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thackes1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sreejithb View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I am actually not in shape and my main goal is to lose fat and get a lean body. I have been controlling my diet for this and also include lot of cardio into my training.

But cardio alone is boring and therefore, I have been doing weights (and fortunately seeing some results).

I guess for my case, I will stay away from carbs in my post workout shake to avoid the unnecessary fat synthesis. I will get my carbs from my regular food.
    Smart plan. Look into High Intensity Interval (HIT) training. Definitely, hit the weights. I prefer hitting the weights hard (compound movements followed by isolated movements, which I superset) and then doing cardio work.
    ☑*CountryMike Appreciation Crew*☑

***All Reviews Accessible on BodySpace Page***